The interweb clearly doesn't do nuance well...it is, afterall, a series of rubes.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 11:39 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 10:32 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2714post #40696 of 483122/6/15 at 10:31ampost #40697 of 483122/6/15 at 11:02ampost #40698 of 483122/6/15 at 11:07amQuote:Originally Posted by aleksandr
On a more serious note, where does one cross the line between sharing the pleasure of their collection and showing off?
Also, true story:
My other money sink hobby is Lego. Rare, old, out of production sets often command prices many, many multiples of their original retail prices. So there's this guy on a Lego forum where I hang out and receive enabling of a different sort (the quantum money involved is of a magnitude somewhat less than on here but they take up that other scarce and valuable good, real estate) who will always chime in and say "yeah I have multiple copies of that" and other similar remarks but never actually show us anything.
I later found out he was good for his word and had a huge attic full of Lego. He was just of a somewhat less tech savvy generation and had no idea how nor inclination to take pictures and post them on the Internet.
What, there's money in old lego? I've got a tonne of the stuff at my parents' place - c late 70s/early 80s. Sadly no boxes, instructions, but literally thousands of bricks.post #40699 of 483122/6/15 at 11:08ampost #40700 of 483122/6/15 at 11:20amQuote:
That's your entire sig!
Feeling narcissistic today during a long conference call, so I photographed my writing surface (Rhodia meeting book), watch (Rolex DSSD DBlue) and fountain pen (Nakaya Dorsal Fin v2 in Heki-Tamenuri (Urushi lacquer with green base and brown finish)).post #40701 of 483122/6/15 at 11:21amQuote:Originally Posted by aleksandr
Here you go sir.
Jeepers. I may be gone some time.post #40702 of 483122/6/15 at 12:00pm
You might also check out HQ Milton.
I've only heard good things, (never dealt directly) but they usually have some good inventory of old Pepsi GMTs.Quote:Originally Posted by dopey
Small movements in big cases bother me because it seems like a break-down in integrated design. [...] If manufacturers are going to insist on big cases and little movements, they should at least make a little door in the back so you can access the extra room in the case and keep extra paperclips or diamonds, or even spare change.
You think I could fit a spare watch strap in there, so I can change them on the fly!?Quote:Originally Posted by Dino944
Apparently my wife brought a limited edition yogurt into our home ! I'm not sure if we should call Sotheby's or bring it to an authorize frozen yogurt dealer to see what they will offer us for it.
Oh and a RO is in the photo to try to keep this last limited edition post on point. Sorry not a great photo but I was in a hurry this morning.
(Watch ain't bad either). LOL.Quote:Originally Posted by aleksandr
So I went to check out Pepsis and Cokes at a couple of pre-owned places. Not bad, though some were pretty pricey for what they were. Apparently there is still a healthy demand for GMTs.
Then, I happened by a Rolex dealer and popped in to take a look see and they had a BLNR available.
Crapcrapcrapcrapcrap. Now I know what you guys have been going on about.
Yes! The BLNR is definitely the flavor of the month.
And I don't mean that in a derogatory way whatsoever.
The recent attention / focus here is quite well-deserved, IMO.Quote:
Probably overdue, in fact.
Grumpy Rolex-hater showing up in 3....2....1.....
+1 see you guys next month.post #40703 of 483122/6/15 at 12:06pmpost #40704 of 483122/6/15 at 12:18pmpost #40705 of 483122/6/15 at 12:22pm
At least wait until watch number 2 arrives...then let your girlfriend decide whether to be involved in the shooting.post #40706 of 483122/6/15 at 12:24pmpost #40707 of 483122/6/15 at 12:28pmpost #40708 of 483122/6/15 at 12:28pmpost #40709 of 483122/6/15 at 12:32pmpost #40710 of 483122/6/15 at 12:52pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
Currently, there are 876 Active Users (126 Members and 750 Guests)
- › Cars We Drive! 1 minute ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 3 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 4 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 8 minutes ago
- › East Sicily Tailors 9 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 11 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 22 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 30 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 31 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...