or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2695  

post #40411 of 48312
plus one nod[1].gif
post #40412 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Belli, keep the gold to sell the purple.

I'm in no hurry to sell. My only regret is that the remaining stainless models in the shop were DJ IIs and a Yacht-Master. I would have taken everything they had left in desirable sports models and OPs.
smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandr View Post

I tried on the red grape a while back, and the white grape on Monday. Both looked a bit off to me. Much preferred it in blue or white. But of course moot point, 36mm looks tiny to me..

Side question - what wrist diameter do you guys have that you can wear 36mm watches?

200 mm / 7 7/8", and I'm 201 cm / 6'7". I got no issues wearing 36 mm; I like the understated look.

The Deepsea fits my wrist just fine, but I truly don't think I'll ever wear it before I sell it: it's just not really my style. This stuff is obviously personal preference, but I prefer to err on the side of less-is-more when it comes to watches. I tend to wear classic clothing without any visible logos, so a watch is the only "brand" thing on my body, and I like to keep it a bit low-key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

On the contrary, I do think the modern trend for dinner plate watches projects a little insecurity, and will come to look like a funny fashion fad in a few years - the horological equivalent of flared trousers.

Indeed.


PS: Come on, "day counter" gripers. How friggin' tough is it to advance the date five times a year? The total of two minutes per annum it takes is more than compensated by having a vastly simpler and more robust mechanism than an annual or perpetual calendar. Besides, you also get a legitimate excuse to play with your watch.

biggrin.gif
Edited by Belligero - 1/30/15 at 1:28pm
post #40413 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC (Houston) View Post

In other news, all packed up for a little watch geek lunch today . . .

16217354337_fbd103e020_z.jpg

Watch geek lunches are awesome.

post #40414 of 48312
Mimo, did you say "big watch"?

From our "Red Bar Crew" gathering last night, the Unicum (love that name for some reason) from U-Boat in titanium and bronze. At 53mm it is slightly bigger than my 36mm ref 3970J...



If you ask me this Patek Travel Time Aquanaut ref 5164A is more my cup of tea... Love the little Tiffany stamp on it too...

post #40415 of 48312
Big purchase, for me.

But you won lunch again!
post #40416 of 48312
Technical question for any who would know: I used to be able to access SF just fine via TapaTalk on my iPhone, but now I can't even access any thread. SF thread "picks" appear on my TapaTalk feed, but when I click on it I get some XML error. Now, the app did release an update today with some apology about how the prior update was majorly f*d up, but am wondering if it's anything on SF's end, if I have to delete and reinstall the app, or if I'm just plain unlucky.

Any thoughts?
post #40417 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Technical question for any who would know: I used to be able to access SF just fine via TapaTalk on my iPhone, but now I can't even access any thread. SF thread "picks" appear on my TapaTalk feed, but when I click on it I get some XML error. Now, the app did release an update today with some apology about how the prior update was majorly f*d up, but am wondering if it's anything on SF's end, if I have to delete and reinstall the app, or if I'm just plain unlucky.

Any thoughts?
I would like to use tapatalk, but for some reason SF is the only forum that it doesn't let me know what threads are newly posted in with a blue dot. All the other forums do this. It's annoying.
post #40418 of 48312
Here's a question for forex and maybe some others: I need to wire funds to a European AD. Is there a bank in town that has a much better f/x rate than others? Citi's f/x rate loses me about 1.95% on the transaction, plus a wire fee. I know there will be some vig I have to pay on a foreign currency exchange, but I'd like to pare it down.
post #40419 of 48312
I dunno; I deleted that ad-funded crap quickfast when I tried it. Tapatalk seems like complete BS to me, and the mobile version of SF is kickass anyway.
post #40420 of 48312

I love the Aquanaut travel time. One of my favorite watches with how the pushers are integrated with the case.

post #40421 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherblue View Post

Here's a question for forex and maybe some others: I need to wire funds to a European AD. Is there a bank in town that has a much better f/x rate than others? Citi's f/x rate loses me about 1.95% on the transaction, plus a wire fee. I know there will be some vig I have to pay on a foreign currency exchange, but I'd like to pare it down.

Use a currency broker; they have better rates than banks.
post #40422 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Technical question for any who would know: I used to be able to access SF just fine via TapaTalk on my iPhone, but now I can't even access any thread. SF thread "picks" appear on my TapaTalk feed, but when I click on it I get some XML error. Now, the app did release an update today with some apology about how the prior update was majorly f*d up, but am wondering if it's anything on SF's end, if I have to delete and reinstall the app, or if I'm just plain unlucky.

Any thoughts?
I would like to use tapatalk, but for some reason SF is the only forum that it doesn't let me know what threads are newly posted in with a blue dot. All the other forums do this. It's annoying.

Fixed thanks to UberModerator Stitchy and the highly technical solution of deleting and reinstalling the app!

I quite like the TapaTalk interface. Posting pics is great. I can do all this via my Safari or Google Chrome browser on my phone but it feels easier to do so on TapaTalk. However, tifosi, it indeed doesn't have that update via blue dot designation. 😭


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #40423 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Fixed thanks to UberModerator Stitchy and the highly technical solution of deleting and reinstalling the app!

I quite like the TapaTalk interface. Posting pics is great. I can do all this via my Safari or Google Chrome browser on my phone but it feels easier to do so on TapaTalk. However, tifosi, it indeed doesn't have that update via blue dot designation. 😭


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesn't that drive you nuts?? I wonder if it's a SF thing and not tapatalk?

Stitchy?
post #40424 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

I dunno; I deleted that ad-funded crap quickfast when I tried it. Tapatalk seems like complete BS to me, and the mobile version of SF is kickass anyway.

Yeah, you can pretty much do everything via your mobile browser. I shelled out the dollar or two for the TapaTalk Pro edition and nixed the ads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post

I love the Aquanaut travel time. One of my favorite watches with how the pushers are integrated with the case.


The dial is still a bit messed up for me, but the new Nautilus ref 5990 should float your boat given how its pushers flow right into the traditional Nautilus case. It's not as garishly overwrought in person, and it has significant presence: it may well be the thickest Nautilus in production - it is thicker than the 5980 chrono.
post #40425 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post

Gotta go for the triple play!

Ha! Would love to but think i'm pushing my luck as it is! To my shame though I've started sowing the seeds of the idea this evening. We've gone past the 'how many watches do you need?' stage to some point here she is starting to accept it as a legit hobby, so a rubicon of sorts has been crossed. Watch this space.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)