Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 1:51 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 2:38 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2670post #40036 of 483121/22/15 at 3:53ampost #40037 of 483121/22/15 at 3:58am^
It's extremely rare that I sell a watch once acquired. I just think the resale market is a good indication of how well the design and quality of the watch and the manufacturer's reputation hold up. It's more complicated, of course, but there's a reason that stuff like the last three of four versions (I can't keep track of their trendy redesigns) of IWC's Aquatimers get slaughtered in the secondary market.
The "who cares about resale" line is often repeated by company shills and moderators on sponsored forums. Fine if you get a buddy discount, but not so great if you're one of the impressionable types they like to get hyped up to buy off-brand stuff. Same as other obsessive-nerd-element-heavy dude stuff like cameras and stereos, really.
Obviously, buy and wear what you like, but be savvy to the way that kickbacks, special deals and party invitations do a lot of talking in this industry. Forums, blogs, sites... you'd be amazed what some people will write just for a free hat.post #40038 of 483121/22/15 at 4:17ampost #40039 of 483121/22/15 at 4:22amPut it this way... Hodinkee's a good resource for some things, but do you think they're doing all those photos and words out of mere appreciation for every crap brand that presents at SIHH? It's not just ad revenue from the site that they're pulling in; those guys get some pretty nice hook-ups in NYC.
And Hodinkee has far more quality and integrity than most.
That pudgy, singsongy idiot at ablogtowatch is a complete and utter shill, and a piss-poor writer on top of it. I can't believe that someone with so little talent and skill can apparently make a business out of breathlessly dry-humping every piece-of-shit watch that comes down the pipe from even the dodgiest company. Timezone is essentially the official propaganda wing of the aution houses and whatever brand is being nice to the clique of real-estate alleged-total-assholes that bought it about fifteen years ago. Watchuseek has been an absolute joke for at least five years and is about the least educated foum in existence, and I can't even think of a biggish site other than maybe TZ-UK that isn't full of circle-jerking idiots that don't know shit about shit.
Embarrassingly, rolexforums has one of the highest percentage of clueless knob jockeys out there, although Rolex has absolutely nothing to do with it officially or unofficially. Most other companies are all too happy to get mixed up with these free-propaganda factories, and it works. You'd be amazed at how eager people are to defend their pet company even when it's shown that they're being lied to about manufacturing origin, and how the execs are laughing at them in public. (Search Georges Kern Zurich Minds for the latter.)
The only forum where I feel comfortable expressing my opinion freely, and often the only one that's capable of sustaining a rational discussion, is this one. TWAT is a seriously good resource, and there are some dudes on here who really know their watches and don't just repeat some bullshit they heard from the marketing department.post #40040 of 483121/22/15 at 4:59ampost #40041 of 483121/22/15 at 5:01amQuote:Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric
Of the Perpetual? Sure, here are some:
No, sorry I should have specified, the other one which doesn't have the problems I mentioned.post #40042 of 483121/22/15 at 5:19amQuote:Originally Posted by Belligero
Not a fan. That date window in the middle of the dial has me picturing tumbleweeds inside the case. Good luck to whoever buys that if they're not looking to get burned on resale. I think these meaningless fluff watches are going to be the first ones culled with the Swiss Franc situation.
I'd agree, plus if I was after a dual time in that price range, I'd just pinch pennies, save more, and get the JLC (which I guess really isn't in the same price range unless I group it as watches under $10K, but still).post #40043 of 483121/22/15 at 5:24ampost #40044 of 483121/22/15 at 5:34am
Assuming you're talking to me, why? I feel fantastic.
Besides, if you think I have contempt for certain elements of the watch industry, they're angels compared to Big Pharma. That shit is bad for you; just eat high-quality food, get off your ass once in a while to do something fun outside, deal with stress before it builds up, and you'll feel fine.post #40045 of 483121/22/15 at 5:58ampost #40046 of 483121/22/15 at 6:20ampost #40047 of 483121/22/15 at 6:21ampost #40048 of 483121/22/15 at 6:23ampost #40049 of 483121/22/15 at 6:37ampost #40050 of 483121/22/15 at 6:48am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › STYLEFORUM GIVES 2016 - OUR ANNUAL HOLIDAY CHARITY AUCTIONS FOR THE... 2 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 College Football Season Threak 6 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 14 minutes ago
- › 370g Classic Navy Chalk Stripe Fox Flannel 3.5 metres, with EMS 22 minutes ago
- › H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread 23 minutes ago
- › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion 23 minutes ago
- › 290g Fine Grey Worsted Fox Flannel 3.5 yards, EMS included 30 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 31 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...