Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 6:44 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 11:46 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2661post #39901 of 483121/17/15 at 7:32ampost #39902 of 483121/17/15 at 9:49amQuote:Originally Posted by Belligero
I'm not looking to trade, though: I'm looking to convert cash from the weakened Norwegian Kroner into Swiss Rolex before they adjust the local prices to account for the recent devaluation, then sell for €, £ or $. Right now Norway is one of the cheapest countries in the world to buy Rolex, and it shows because dealers across the country are now sold out of popular (i.e. sports) models.
Platinum is more of a gamble than steel and harder to move, but if I can get a favourable price on a 116506 then it could be worth a punt in addition to the stainless ones I've picked up earlier this week.
Here's what the NOK is doing:
Essentially, I'm converting at a rate from earlier in the year due to the unadjusted pricing, so it's a bit like having a time machine. No way to know which the NOK will go in the future, but Rolex is a historically stable currency that I don't consider particularly risky, and there's a potential upside if the kroner continues to fall. Right now the oil industry is getting a bit slaughtered due to low oil prices (job cuts, projects cancelled, contractors essentially wiped out in some companies) so it'll be interesting times. If it gets really bad, I might just say "fuggit" and move someplace warm and cheap for a while. The dudes with loans on expensive cars and depreciating BS like that are stressing, though. :P
Speaking of currencies, check out what the Swiss Franc has done recently. Hayward's link two posts up is very relevant to my little money-speculation project.
The CHF is now delimited from the Euro, and I think that it will have significant effects on the watch industry. My gut tells me that it's a good time to buy, but it could have the effect of bursting the bubble that SJX was referring to:
We'll see what happens.
This issue has been deemed serious enough and relevant locally to appear on the second page of the local broadsheet. Sjx was also given a shoutout.
Looks like prices are set to rise 10-15% in the next couple of months - dealers say once current stocks are depleted new ones will probably have their prices hiked.post #39903 of 483121/17/15 at 3:05pmpost #39904 of 483121/17/15 at 3:06pmpost #39905 of 483121/17/15 at 3:13pmpost #39906 of 483121/17/15 at 3:25pmpost #39907 of 483121/17/15 at 4:39pmHaving handled a vast amount of Cartier watches, various different models from various different time periods, I cannot possibly understand why anyone would have any issue with the brand. They are fantastic.post #39908 of 483121/17/15 at 5:24pmpost #39909 of 483121/17/15 at 7:57pm
Anybody know what's up with Ressence? I mean, I know they're still around, and Baselworld coverage occasionally hits them, but they're never discussed and I never see anyone on watch forums who has purchased one.
I think the watches are very cool, an actual re-thinking of the wristwatch that strikes me as both clever and beautiful, an actual innovation rather than just another flashy "avant garde" look.post #39910 of 483121/17/15 at 8:18pmQuote:
Certainly not their finest hour, but those were tough times when it seemed the quartz revolution might wipe out mechanical watches. Lots of watch companies produced some questionable watches back then. As much as I like watches from the "The Big Three," they all produced some horrible, only "1970's Vegas appropriate" looking watches watch that regardless of the quality are best forgotten. Yet, I wouldn't hold that against them decades later.Quote:
Interesting! I've only ever seen occasional price reductions from AP. I've not seen it from other brands. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed & hope that a few other brands will do the same.post #39911 of 483121/18/15 at 12:09am
Interesting times in the watch game!
As noted (and deplored) here many times, the manufacturers have been steadily raising prices since the early 2000s -- apparently without hurting sales. But I wonder if they can pass such a big bump straight through to buyers this time? Experience would suggest that an external shock of this magnitude will lead to competitive realignments in the industry -- we might even start to see some serious competition on price and value again as opposed to the current focus on status and brand equity.post #39912 of 483121/18/15 at 12:36ampost #39913 of 483121/18/15 at 12:40ampost #39914 of 483121/18/15 at 3:28ampost #39915 of 483121/18/15 at 12:52pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 13 seconds ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 1 minute ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 1 minute ago
- › Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 6 minutes ago
- › Havana Blue and Brown Silk, Linen, Wool Check 40R 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 7 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 11 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › How to Buy a Women Dress Online That Puts on...
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway