or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2632  

post #39466 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

The Breitling Navitimer is a distinctive watch with a specific history. If someone likes it, and there are good reasons to do so, there is no point telling him another watch is a better "deal" because there is no other watch that is similar in the ways that make a Navitimer unique.

 

Oh, I don't doubt it at all, but I wonder if many owners even know how to use the slide rule!

post #39467 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by europrep View Post

Does anyone know what I can expect from custom/duties charges if I purchase a watch in the Netherlands (ex-VAT) and have it shipped to Boston? Anyway around it? Strap would not be any sort of leather if that matters.  

It all depends upon how the sender fills out the customs form.
See http://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/1401c91.pdf

There's a flat nominal charge of a few bucks for the movement, then something like 5% for the case and some variable amount 2-11% for the bracelet/strap.So if you buy a $1000 watch and they say 75% of the value is in the movement, 20% is the case, and 5% the bracelet, you're not going to be paying a whole lot.

The last time I had to pay anything for a watch shipped from overseas total charge was around $100 for a $3K steel JLC. That was over 10 years ago.
post #39468 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

The Breitling Navitimer is a distinctive watch with a specific history. If someone likes it, and there are good reasons to do so, there is no point telling him another watch is a better "deal" because there is no other watch that is similar in the ways that make a Navitimer unique.

Oh, I don't doubt it at all, but I wonder if many owners even know how to use the slide rule!

I've got a Navitimer and vaguely recall how to use a slide rule. Of course I was also a math major.
The Navi has markings to do miles/km conversion that I used to use before the advent of smart phones. There are also much less useful markings for nautical/statute mile conversion.
post #39469 of 48312

I like the Navitimer, even though I don't know how to use the slide rule.  I don't know how to use a tachygraph either, but it looks cool.

 

As I mentioned it a couple of weeks back, actually there is an alternative to the Navitimer, with a Belligero-approved legit history, from another independent maker. It is significantly cheaper, so if he does feel TWAT-battered*, he can get a Speedy as well if he wants:

 

 

*copyright reserved

post #39470 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post


It all depends upon how the sender fills out the customs form.
See http://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/1401c91.pdf

There's a flat nominal charge of a few bucks for the movement, then something like 5% for the case and some variable amount 2-11% for the bracelet/strap.So if you buy a $1000 watch and they say 75% of the value is in the movement, 20% is the case, and 5% the bracelet, you're not going to be paying a whole lot.

The last time I had to pay anything for a watch shipped from overseas total charge was around $100 for a $3K steel JLC. That was over 10 years ago.

 

Very helpful, thank you.  

post #39471 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

As I mentioned it a couple of weeks back, actually there is an alternative to the Navitimer

And it's reliably waterproof. teacha.gif
post #39472 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by europrep View Post
 

Does anyone know what I can expect from custom/duties charges if I purchase a watch in the Netherlands (ex-VAT) and have it shipped to Boston? Anyway around it? Strap would not be any sort of leather if that matters.  

I don't think the strap would make any difference, and I doubt it would be a problem shipped to MA.  The only time I've heard of the type of leather mattering was with CA.  My wife was looking at a handbag while were in Vegas.  It was python, and she was told they can ship it any place other than California due to some sort of importation of exotic skin laws that CA has/had (this was a few years ago, laws may have changed).  

 

Just make sure the deal you are getting makes it worth dealing with shipping/customs etc. The last time I looked at a watch overseas, the MSRP was less but the discount wasn't as good, and I knew I could get the same watch for less money, buying from an AD in the States with a good discount.  Good luck and let us know what you decide.

post #39473 of 48312
Laws has of shipping exotic skins to CA has actually gotten worse. Python has been prohibited and now alligator & croc skins might be prohibited in CA by this year too. Last I checked, last year the ban got delayed and they were trying to push the extension til 2020. Not sure on it's status now though.
post #39474 of 48312
Today's my first day back at work and when I went to wind my watch I noticed that it was still in last year


Happy new year, Twatters!
post #39475 of 48312
Beautiful. Is that the Lange 1 or Grande Lange 1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Today's my first day back at work and when I went to wind my watch I noticed that it was still in last year


Happy new year, Twatters!
post #39476 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Today's my first day back at work and when I went to wind my watch I noticed that it was still in last year


Happy new year, Twatters!

:inlove:  A beautiful example of why the Lange 1 is my favorite collection of Lange watches!  Happy New Year!

post #39477 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by europrep View Post

Does anyone know what I can expect from custom/duties charges if I purchase a watch in the Netherlands (ex-VAT) and have it shipped to Boston? Anyway around it? Strap would not be any sort of leather if that matters.  

I dont know that it matters where the watch is coming from, but about a year or so ago my Panerai arrived from Canada. It was declared at full purchase price, $3850, and my customs bill from FedEx was $250.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Oh, I don't doubt it at all, but I wonder if many owners even know how to use the slide rule!


Um, and so?

---

Lovely Lange, H.
post #39478 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Today's my first day back at work and when I went to wind my watch I noticed that it was still in last year Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Happy new year, Twatters!

 

:inlove:

post #39479 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

Laws has of shipping exotic skins to CA has actually gotten worse. Python has been prohibited and now alligator & croc skins might be prohibited in CA by this year too. Last I checked, last year the ban got delayed and they were trying to push the extension til 2020. Not sure on it's status now though.

Looks like the CA delay to 2020 passed.
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB2075

In general, when you're importing exotic skins stuffs from overseas you better make sure you have the proper CITES forms. Fish and Wildlife guys will inspect your shipment. I've had stuff shipped to me be delayed because it had to make a side trip to Alaska for Fish and Wildlife inspection.
post #39480 of 48312
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Today's my first day back at work and when I went to wind my watch I noticed that it was still in last year


Happy new year, Twatters!

Love that HR nod[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)