or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2621  

post #39301 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherblue View Post

At the end of the day, the white gold version's dial, hands and hour markers are so much nicer than the steel version's. But I'm not sure if that is enough to justify the added expense (I mean in addition to the gold itself). If the steel had the darker hands/markers, I'd have an easy decision.
I completely understand your quandary. Personally, the differences in white metals (SS, WG, Pt) are insignificant to me in regards to watches, therefore I usually go for the less expensive option when available.

But in this instance, or case ( tongue.gif ), I would go with the WG because of the dial, which I too find much more attractive. Nary a pause actually.
post #39302 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherblue View Post


I believe the power reserve is 38 hours.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'm still torn about which metal to choose. At the end of the day, the white gold version's dial, hands and hour markers are so much nicer than the steel version's. But I'm not sure if that is enough to justify the added expense (I mean in addition to the gold itself). If the steel had the darker hands/markers, I'd have an easy decision.

Sounds like deep down you know which one you truly want.  While there is an added cost going with WG, if you purchase the steel one you may always look back and feel you bought your second choice.  You will look at your wrist many times a day so the appearance of the watch is very important.  If you have the funds, life is too short to go with your second choice.  Good luck with your choice.  

post #39303 of 48312


Where do I go from here? I feel like I'm standing at a sort of a crossroads. With the latest addition of the Cartier (thanks to the wife) I've added a dress watch, and I feel like I have a rather "complete" collection - if any watch collection can be considered complete!

Anyhow, I have two possible paths to take at this point. Grin and bear it and not buy a watch for a few years while saving up for a grail (a PP annual calendar right now) or continue to add random other watches (nothing must have at the moment except maybe a PanaMatic from GO, a blue dial 116000 and a plain dial dress watch) but I'm sure something or other will come up). Problem is the former is undoubtedly the better choice in the long run but I'm pretty sure I lack the willpower. A few years is a long time.. Especially if I continue to hang around here.

What should I do, TWATers?

PS as you can see I also need a new watch case. Any recommendations?
post #39304 of 48312
you need a simple bauhaus, a vintage, a regulateur, a retrograde, a moonphase, and a repeater
post #39305 of 48312
@aleksandr: I would add a moon phase/complete calendar, an ultra-thin, and a rectangular or tonneau-shaped watch (eg Reverso, Cartier Tank or Vacheron tonneau). Possibly also a true sports chrono (JLC Deep Sea, Daytona, new AP ROO 42mm).

Patience is a virtue. Rather than buying random things that you like, I would hold out for that Patek annual calendar if that's one of your grails. I've waited 5-10 years between major watch purchases...And still prefer to wait rather than buying opportunistically on the cheap.
Edited by academe - 12/28/14 at 12:52pm
post #39306 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post

Patience is a virtue. Rather than buying random things that you like, I would hold out for that Patek annual calendar if that's one of your grails. I've waited 5-10 years between major watch purchases...And still prefer to wait rather than buying opportunistically on the cheap.

+100

The watches you currently have are nice, but also somewhat prevalent. The Patek would be a great addition.

Also, sell that Hublot smile.gif
post #39307 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandr View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Where do I go from here? I feel like I'm standing at a sort of a crossroads. With the latest addition of the Cartier (thanks to the wife) I've added a dress watch, and I feel like I have a rather "complete" collection - if any watch collection can be considered complete!

Anyhow, I have two possible paths to take at this point. Grin and bear it and not buy a watch for a few years while saving up for a grail (a PP annual calendar right now) or continue to add random other watches (nothing must have at the moment except maybe a PanaMatic from GO, a blue dial 116000 and a plain dial dress watch) but I'm sure something or other will come up). Problem is the former is undoubtedly the better choice in the long run but I'm pretty sure I lack the willpower. A few years is a long time.. Especially if I continue to hang around here.

What should I do, TWATers?

PS as you can see I also need a new watch case. Any recommendations?

amazing collection! 116520 SS Daytona or BLNR GMT will make it even better.
post #39308 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post

@aleksandr:..
Patience is a virtue. Rather than buying random things that you like, I would hold out for that Patek annual calendar if that's one of your grails. I've waited 5-10 years between major watch purchases...And still prefer to wait rather than buying opportunistically on the cheap.

+1 Agree completely!

I've also at times gone 4 + years between significant purchases. When you feel content with a collection It's a great feeling and you should take time to simply enjoy it .

Sure as others mentioned there are other types of watches you could add to your collection. However, if they really aren't "must haves" for you, why divert your focus to them when all they will do is move you further from your Grail ? You can buy a bunch of "Filler" watches" but it's unlikely that they will satisfy your desire for the Patek, and you will have diverted funds that will push your Grail further off from being acquired. Wait and save for what you really want.
post #39309 of 48312
Agreed. Buying for buyings sake is rarely a good call long term.

---

Axelman, have you ever tried on the Jumbo in person before? Other than size, what made you head for the Jumbo ahead of the other options?
post #39310 of 48312
Can anyone verify Tudor uses the same 2824-2 movement Tissot uses?
post #39311 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by guccihomme View Post

Can anyone verify Tudor uses the same 2824-2 movement Tissot uses?

Some of their watches do use the same base movement. However, it doesn't mean they are finished the same way or that they would have the same modifications, if any are made to the watches you are comparing.
post #39312 of 48312
Some interesting responses - thanks very much for all your thoughts.

@academe - when you say you wait 5-10 years between major watch purchases, do you mean you don't buy anything in the meantime?? I project it will probably take me 5 or so years to save up for the PP, but I can also foresee it will be terribly difficult to resist picking up something or other along the way. Willpower to resist purchases is rather low.

As for your other recommendations, the PP I have my eye on (5146) will have that, no interest in an ultra thin (doesn't quite work on my wrist to me) nor tonneau (again, styling just seems a bit off to my eye). No real 'want' for a chrono either, and I regretted skimping on the chrono version of the Portuguese. Probably not quite relevant also but my dad has a startling collection of Daytonas (amongst many others), some of which I can probably expect to add to my collection some time in the future..

@in stitches - what if it were buying because it was something awesome but not grail?

My other 'problem' (if this can even be called a problem, it is way beyond even being described as a first world problem, though of all the places on the internet I figure this may be the only place where other people can sympathize and emphathize) is that I'm still pretty young (early thirties). If I manage to acquire my grail watch before I'm 40, where do I go from there??


PS the Hublot was also a gift from the wife, although at that time what she did was walk into a boutique and told them 'I want to buy my husband a nice watch'.. So selling it is definitely out of the question, in any case I kinda like it though
post #39313 of 48312
I am all for buying things if you truly want them, I am not for buying things just because you feel that you should be buying something.

What might be a good idea is picking up fun pieces that you can flip for as much, or more than, you are going to pay for them. That way when it's time to get that grail piece, you can just turn what you bought in the meantime into cash and put it towards the grail. This way you will not have lost any time.

As far as we are you should go from here, or there, there were always be something that is bigger and better. Or newer. Or interesting.
post #39314 of 48312
Priorities, mang.

Going Places and Doing Things > Stuff

Within Stuff:

kicks > clothes > bikes > wristwatches > fun toys that aren't bikes > other shit like cars

Anyway, that was just a random thought after the best holiday season of my life so far. Norwegians may generally be indiscriminate manglers when they're boozing, but some of 'em know how to handle their shit properly, and holy crap are there some fun parties sometimes.

Off to Oslo and Budapest & traveling light. Thinking one watch - probably OQ because I'm going to be doing a lot of dancing and carrying on.

Happy New Year in advance!
post #39315 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandr View Post

Some interesting responses - thanks very much for all your thoughts.


My other 'problem' (if this can even be called a problem, it is way beyond even being described as a first world problem, though of all the places on the internet I figure this may be the only place where other people can sympathize and emphathize) is that I'm still pretty young (early thirties). If I manage to acquire my grail watch before I'm 40, where do I go from there??

Perhaps if there are other watches in your collection (you mentioned feeling you skimped with your IWC), that are not that important to you or your collection and if you sold/traded them the Patek could be acquired sooner.

 

As for your issue about what if you acquire your grail watch before age 40 and where you will go from there, well I find that rather amusing.  Even if its your grail watch, and yes Pateks are really nice, its not some mythical item that can only be obtained by elders who have figured out the the meaning of life.  Why does it matter how old you are when you can acquire a certain watch?  If you were in a position to become the youngest CEO of some company, would you turn down something you had earned/achieved simply because you arrived there sooner than others?  Then why put off obtaining your grail?  I can assure you friends who obtained their grail watches, eventually found a new grail regardless of the brand or its level of complication.  Its not just because there are new watches that come out, but because your taste and interests will evolve.  

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post


Anyway, that was just a random thought after the best holiday season of my life so far. Norwegians may generally be indiscriminate manglers when they're boozing, but some of 'em know how to handle their shit properly, and holy crap are there some fun parties sometimes.

Off to Oslo and Budapest & traveling light. Thinking one watch - probably OQ because I'm going to be doing a lot of dancing and carrying on.

Happy New Year in advance!

Happy New Year and hope you have a lot of fun!  :cheers:

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

I am all for buying things if you truly want them, I am not for buying things just because you feel that you should be buying something.

What might be a good idea is picking up fun pieces that you can flip for as much, or more than, you are going to pay for them. That way when it's time to get that grail piece, you can just turn what you bought in the meantime into cash and put it towards the grail. This way you will not have lost any time.

As far as we are you should go from here, or there, there were always be something that is bigger and better. Or newer. Or interesting.

Spot on mahhh maaan!  :fistbump:  Although, I do think picking up fun pieces that one can flip for as much or more money than he paid for them is tough, and probably limits his purchases to a select handful of vintage Rolex watches or maybe a few Panerais.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)