Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 8:44 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/17/17 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 10:41 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2615post #39211 of 4831212/23/14 at 7:00ampost #39212 of 4831212/23/14 at 7:14amQuote:Nice pipeOriginally Posted by Belligero
So I came across an interview with the person who drew up a staggering number of famous watches for everyone from Timex to Patek Philippe, and I thought it might be of interest...
Gerald Genta Interview: Creating Design Rules
He gives props where due:Interviewer: Is there a watch that you would have liked to
Genta: I regret not having designed the Oyster!
Because, to me, it represents the biggest
success in watchmaking. Today, we cannot
find a single watch that could possibly
stand up to and pose a challenge to the
Oyster in terms of stylistic breakthrough!
This concisely sums up most of the industry:Interviewer: However, there are clients who like them…
Genta: The taste of the client is important. And
the client could be anyone from among us.
Historically, there have been junctures in
time when there were many people who
were utterly lacking in culture, in fine taste.
We sold them anything.
Worth reading in its entirety. The bit about cranking out watch designs for 15 CHF a pop early in his career is amazing, not to mention the fact that he was never credited for his work until much later in life. It's satisfying to find stuff like this; for actual content, it outweighs a thousand blog advertorials, as far as I'm concerned. Would love to know what others think.post #39213 of 4831212/23/14 at 7:21ampost #39214 of 4831212/23/14 at 8:15ampost #39215 of 4831212/23/14 at 8:44amQuote:If you are speaking of leaving the US with 2 Rolex watches you already own, if you want to be on the safe side, you might want to bring a mini-copy of your sales slip or warranty paper/card so they can see that you didn't purchase them overseas. I did that when I was wearing a new Rolex that was given to me as a wedding gift on my honeymoon overseas. Upon my return, I didn't want the customs guys to think it was a new watch purchased overseas, and potentially/mistakenly charge me with a tax/tariff on a watch that was already purchased here, but which they could mistakenly believe was purchased overseas. I was never asked about the watch so in the end it wasn't an issue.Or you could just wing it, be our test subject, bring 2 Rolex watches, and let us know how it goes!post #39216 of 4831212/23/14 at 8:48am
Based on what I have seen on other watch forums it's also possible to check in with customs prior to leaving and fill out a form showing the item was purchased locally so you can ensure there will be no-reentry problems. Not sure how that process work though.post #39217 of 4831212/23/14 at 9:06amQuote:
http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/CBP%20Form%204457.pdfpost #39218 of 4831212/23/14 at 9:14ampost #39219 of 4831212/23/14 at 10:10amThis is a bit of a morass. Just trying to figure out how my friend should declare the watch on the customs form and what the duty payable will be is a challenge. Apparently you have to have a breakdown in value between the movement, case and bracelet. It appears the duty will be less than 3% overall but still trying to figure out the hoops to jump through.post #39220 of 4831212/23/14 at 10:18ampost #39221 of 4831212/23/14 at 10:21ampost #39222 of 4831212/23/14 at 10:22ampost #39223 of 4831212/23/14 at 10:23ampost #39224 of 4831212/23/14 at 10:27ampost #39225 of 4831212/23/14 at 10:52amSo I recently swapped out from the silver-ish dial on the ref. 17000...
... to this blue one...
... and now I am complete.
Seriously, though — I freakin' love the OQ. If I had any sense, it would be my only watch.
OK, maybe I'd keep the 1675 GMT, too. :P
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine 1 minute ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Buday Shoes - Hungarian Shoemaker 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 4 minutes ago
- › JAN-JAN VAN ESSCHE 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › The best value vendors I've found so far 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...