Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 12:10 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 11:32 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2611post #39151 of 4831212/22/14 at 3:04ampost #39152 of 4831212/22/14 at 4:38ampost #39153 of 4831212/22/14 at 4:54ampost #39154 of 4831212/22/14 at 5:00ampost #39155 of 4831212/22/14 at 5:02ampost #39156 of 4831212/22/14 at 5:09am
But since when did need have anything to do with it? This is Styleforum, dude! And a thread of thousands of pages all about buying mechanical anachronisms. This isn't about need. This is about buying shit we don't need because we look at it by ourselves and say "ha, cool!". And share it with complete strangers on the internet.
I think it's reasonable to put a weird machine that turns your unworn unnecessary watches around to keep them wound while you're able to wear only one of them and keep it wound, apart from when you wind them manually just for fun to feel what winding them feels like, in the same category of fun.
This place is weird. I like it. I'm going to buy another watch. And maybe a winder.post #39157 of 4831212/22/14 at 5:16ampost #39158 of 4831212/22/14 at 5:20am
Well said tifosi and Mimo.
While I perceive winders to be a pointless waste of money for anyone who doesn't have a safe full of perpetual calendars (and frankly, fall short of "need" for those who do) - if they make you happy, by all means buy a dozen of them and go to sleep smiling.
If setting and winding a premium mechanical timepiece is a significant inconvenience to you, then I congratulate you on your spectacularly soft life. Now, go summon your man-servant to brush your teeth for you.post #39159 of 4831212/22/14 at 5:24ampost #39160 of 4831212/22/14 at 5:27ampost #39161 of 4831212/22/14 at 5:36ampost #39162 of 4831212/22/14 at 5:37ampost #39163 of 4831212/22/14 at 5:48ampost #39164 of 4831212/22/14 at 5:49amQuote:Originally Posted by academe
The date display preference is subjective/aesthetic. My Grand Reverso Duo has a similar date display, with a placement at 12 o'clock and I think it works well:
I prefer the 12 o'clock placement to the one at 3 o'clock as is used for IWC Pilot Mark XVII, or the Cartier Calibre. The 12 o'clock placement curves nicely with the top of the dial, and reminds me of an arch or other architectural feature. It also balances out the seconds sub-dial at 6 o'clock, and hence adds balance to the watch.
Academe, nice watch but that get up together with the Filson is crying for a Rolex.post #39165 of 4831212/22/14 at 6:19amQuote:
Just curious: are you saying that the onus is put on the customer to be aware of a company's distribution agreement impositions and as such, an (unknowing) 'violation' thereof can mean that the customer has to pay the 'penalty' and hand over the goods?
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 30 seconds ago
- › Cars We Drive! 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 2 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › new Yoox codes and sales - post them here 2 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...