or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2569  

post #38521 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne View Post

Oh hai!

Congrats on sourcing the strap.

Thanks - it sure took me long enough :-)
post #38522 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post


Pilots are why I started to get into into watches. Sold my Cyma and now looking at some military style replacements. Not pilots I suppose. Possibly the Nomos Club, Tudor Ranger or Sinn. I don't need any more chronographs.

 

I don't like the Club much - for me, Nomos has to be clean and Bauhaus, and that's a funny old mish-mash in my eyes.  And the Tudor Ranger's cool, but has the problem of being too much like a substitute for an Explorer, at least in my eyes.  So I'd say for a non-chrono, then Sinn 556 is a winner, and very much a pilot.  But if you want a military style that's not like a pilot, how about a Muehle Terranaut?  Left-field suggestion, but I like the look.  Or the deck watch thing - Stowa Marine Original?

post #38523 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post

Pilots are why I started to get into into watches. Sold my Cyma and now looking at some military style replacements. Not pilots I suppose. Possibly the Nomos Club, Tudor Ranger or Sinn. I don't need any more chronographs.

I don't like the Club much - for me, Nomos has to be clean and Bauhaus, and that's a funny old mish-mash in my eyes.  And the Tudor Ranger's cool, but has the problem of being too much like a substitute for an Explorer, at least in my eyes.  So I'd say for a non-chrono, then Sinn 556 is a winner, and very much a pilot.  But if you want a military style that's not like a pilot, how about a Muehle Terranaut?  Left-field suggestion, but I like the look.  Or the deck watch thing - Stowa Marine Original?

I like the Terranaut but not a fan of the date function on the dial. I think Sinn does it better. I agree the Ranger is a bit of a poor man's explorer but I do like the painted numerals and the bracelet even if it isn't integrated. If I went with Stowa it would probably be the 2801 hand wind. Any fans out there of the Glycine Airman? Too busy?

Decisions.
Edited by Cant kill da Rooster - 11/26/14 at 1:49pm
post #38524 of 48312
I find very little information and feedback re: sin 6033. I quite like its style, but I'd also like to hear some comments from people who already own it.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

It's marketed as a dual time zone (the inner bezel is adjustable), the movement is a ETA 2893-A2, and the size is on the smaller side with a 34mm case -- probably the reason so few have direct experience?
post #38525 of 48312
Here's a 'left field' pilot style watch that is tempting me right now - the Longines Heritage 1935. It's a fairly faithful contemporary rendition of a watch that Longines supplied to the Czech Air Force commencing in 1935.

Hosting provided by FotoTime

Here's the original vintage piece:

Hosting provided by FotoTime
post #38526 of 48312
That looks nice. Case shape reminds me of my Monza, but this is a better looking watch overall.
post #38527 of 48312
^ I like that cushion-shaped case and overall dial layout. Not 100% certain about the date window in the re-issue. Makes the dial look a bit more cluttered than is necessary (I prefer the original's dial). Are the numerals on the dial printed or applied? Looks like the former in the photo...
post #38528 of 48312
The power of advertising.

For the last few weeks a good many of the YouTube videos that I've viewed have opened with a commercial for Cartier's new dive watch. (Cookie tracking me thinks.) At first I was hitting the 'you can skip this ad' button at the earliest opportunity but at some point I began watching the entire ad. Even though I know I'm being manipulated, I find myself wanting to visit Cartier to check out the watch.

post #38529 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post

^ I like that cushion-shaped case and overall dial layout. Not 100% certain about the date window in the re-issue. Makes the dial look a bit more cluttered than is necessary (I prefer the original's dial). Are the numerals on the dial printed or applied? Looks like the former in the photo...

 



I'd pefer no date at all - as I would for almost all watches from all brands - but I don't personally find that the small date window at 6 adds much clutter.

Numerals are painted, as they are on the original.

This very werable 40mm Zenith Pilot floats my boat even more, but is nearly triple the price.

Hosting provided by FotoTime
post #38530 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tried and True View Post

The power of advertising.

For the last few weeks a good many of the YouTube videos that I've viewed have opened with a commercial for Cartier's new dive watch. (Cookie tracking me thinks.) At first I was hitting the 'you can skip this ad' button at the earliest opportunity but at some point I began watching the entire ad. Even though I know I'm being manipulated, I find myself wanting to visit Cartier to check out the watch.

I see how that ad would make the watch attractive to those who like to keep their watches in a full bathtub. Otherwise, I am missing the appeal.
post #38531 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootx View Post

I find very little information and feedback re: sin 6033. I quite like its style, but I'd also like to hear some comments from people who already own it.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

It's marketed as a dual time zone (the inner bezel is adjustable), the movement is a ETA 2893-A2, and the size is on the smaller side with a 34mm case -- probably the reason so few have direct experience?

Purists might detract from the 12 hour inner bezel in favour of a 24 hour one but personally I love it. The size is a killer for me though. For a more sporty watch, I prefer the outer bezel on the Rolex GMT as well.
post #38532 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

Yay pilots.  (Of all kinds!)

 

 


I'm drooling! :drool:

post #38533 of 48312
Ok...I can't figure out which watch I like better: Omega Speedmaster Triple Date Auto or 1948 18k Lecoultre. What do you think? Omega for everyday and Lecoultre for business/formal events?


post #38534 of 48312
Ok...I can't figure out which watch I like better: Omega Speedmaster Triple Date Auto or 1948 18k Lecoultre. What do you think? Omega for everyday and Lecoultre for business/formal events?
post #38535 of 48312
These are so radically different as to make both the obvious answer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)