Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 10:51 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on 12/1/16 at 12:37pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2564post #38446 of 4831211/24/14 at 4:27ampost #38447 of 4831211/24/14 at 6:29amQuote:I would take a flyer on this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Attractive-Omega-Constellation-Pie-Pan-Watch-NO-RESERVE-99-start-/131355689507post #38448 of 4831211/24/14 at 6:46amQuote:Originally Posted by BostonHedonist
I don't know what has happened, but suddenly I am quite obsessed with finding a vintage Omega Constellation of the "pie pan" variety, possibly a cal. 564. Something like this:
Only the more I research the movements and styles of the Constellations from the late 50s through mid 60s, the more I find myself not trusting any seller I come across. I'm quite convinced that as many as 70% of these on eBay are far from original, if not flagrant frauds from Asia. And most of those available from vintage dealers are gold plated, gold filled or otherwise not simple, basic stainless.
Does anyone have a bearing on how to approach a new obsession like this without getting burned?
I just acquired a vintage Omega from someone on another forum and the only reason is because I trust the guy very much and he has a good reputation online/very knowledgable etc. In this business reputation is everything. I hesitate to refer you to him because I know for a fact he has no pie-pans and is about to do a big lot deal, but point being building a relationship with someone like that is probably the best approach.post #38449 of 4831211/24/14 at 8:58amQuote:Originally Posted by apropos
Step 1: google Omega Constellation Collectors Desmond
Step 2: read and read and read
No other way about it. You'll soon enough discover whether you may have used the term "obsession" wrongly in place of "infatuation".
You won't have any luck with 3rd party dealers - these watches aren't worth enough to make it worth anyone's time, unless you're happy to pay a big (and unnecessary) markup.
That said the company would have to be a real specialist in piepans to prevent themselves being ripped off.
As far as I know there are no preowned watch companies which specialise in piepans - and depressingly most are in the business of producing franken piepans for quick sale.
Infatuation may be a more accurate word at this stage. And I hear what you're saying about legitimate dealers only bothering if there's a huge markup. I haven't seen one that really made me want to jump yet for less than double what these watches are supposedly worth. Thank you for your words of caution.Quote:Originally Posted by NonServiam
Using a well respected dealer always helps, but even they are not always that good at sniffing out the frankens. Time to educate yourself even further and practice due dilligence. Take pictures of any potential buy to the forums and crowdsource for opinions. I agree with you on the state of affairs on eBay, and walking through Burlington Arcade in London I'm not sure they are all clean either (but certainly overpriced).
I am sure you already read this: http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.no/
I bought mine from a local collector after reading up as as good as I managed.
They are lovely watches! Fantastic movements from the golden age of watchmaking, a nice case with lovely lugs, and a size that is modern enough for a dress watch. I love mine
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
That is a gorgeous example. Just the sort of style I'm looking for.
As a matter of fact, I'll be in London next week with Mrs. Hedonist, and had been considering looking for one of these out there. Would you recommend I peruse the Burlington Arcade?
Very nice, as always, Mimo. What's that, a Cal. 6XX? Early 70s?post #38450 of 4831211/24/14 at 9:02ampost #38451 of 4831211/24/14 at 9:11ampost #38452 of 4831211/24/14 at 9:16ampost #38453 of 4831211/24/14 at 9:16ampost #38454 of 4831211/24/14 at 9:27ampost #38455 of 4831211/24/14 at 9:29ampost #38456 of 4831211/24/14 at 10:39ampost #38457 of 4831211/24/14 at 10:47ampost #38458 of 4831211/24/14 at 10:49ampost #38459 of 4831211/24/14 at 10:56ampost #38460 of 4831211/24/14 at 11:45am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 11 seconds ago
- › Riccardo Bestetti Bespoke projects. 13 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 44 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › Viberg Boots 2 minutes ago
- › LEMAIRE 3 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › Nigel Cabourn 6 minutes ago
- › NWT 46R Polo RL Charcoal Overcoat (Italy) 7 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway