or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2538  

post #38056 of 48312
That strap looks Damn good
post #38057 of 48312
Congrats, @mafoofan. It really looks lovely.

Serious question - ALS 1815 up/down vs FP Journe Chronometre Bleu? the FP Journe is roughly $6k less, mint but second hand. ALS is new in WG.

Edit: Wow, just saw this on Hodinkee



Same price range new as the ALS.....
Edited by cchen - 11/13/14 at 5:58pm
post #38058 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

A blue check shirt is a must!  A quick snap shot from yesterday.  



Really nice.
post #38059 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


I am a big proponent of picking what a maker is best known for or best at doing, which is because I care very much about a watch's genealogy and historical significance. Patek's sport watches have never been the company's forte and always played second fiddle to the Royal Oak. Genta designed the Nautilus after he did the Royal Oak for Audemars, after all. I think a lot of other enthusiasts and collectors feel similarly. That's why the 15202 is such a darling in the Royal Oak line-up--relative to the original Jumbo, it is the purest contemporary iteration of the watch.

I agree with the above.  Its one of the reasons I like the 15202, it is the successor to Genta's original Jumbo.  For me the RO Jumbo (the original being the 5402 A series) was the original luxury sports watch, which set a standard and created a genre.  It was followed by other watches such as the Nautilus, the 222, the Ingenieur Jumbo SL, the GP Laureato, the Chopard St. Moritz etc. The others are beautiful watches in their own right, but the RO is the original, and an important design in the world of watches.  Without the RO, we might not have seen other companies at least not in the 1970's, producing luxury sports watches at a time when quartz watches practically became de rigueur.  I would love to add a few of the others to my collection at some point, but they would be coexisting with my 15202, not in place of it.  :cheers:

post #38060 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchen View Post

Congrats, @mafoofan. It really looks lovely.

Serious question - ALS 1815 up/down vs FP Journe Chronometre Bleu? the FP Journe is roughly $6k less, mint but second hand. ALS is new in WG.

I think you should try both on and see which really appeals to you.  In addition, see what you can find for a pre-owned ALS.  I don't think new vs. pre-owned is necessarily a fair comparison...unless the pre-owned piece is in nearly new condition, and even then the question becomes do you like both watches equally.  I understand the price difference, but if you are buying your second choice you may always be second guessing yourself.  A buddy of mine has done that, then it eats at him, he sells the first watch at a loss with some depreciation and then buys the piece he truly wanted.  Wishing you luck with your journey.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz View Post

Really nice.

Thank you !  :cheers:

post #38061 of 48312
It's been difficult finding a used up/down in the 39mm case. Lots of 36mm for sale but I found that too small. There was a 39mm for sale @ $20k a few months back but I missed out on it. A Florida dealer has offered me a RG version @ $21.5k but I can't see it in person if I want it.

I've tried on both. Would be better if I could do a side-by-side comparison but unfortunately that isn't possible.
post #38062 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

That strap looks Damn good
Which strap are you speaking of, Ryden?
post #38063 of 48312

After feeling ashamed of my shoes and other clothes from so many threads here, I finally found one I can hang in! ;) This is what's on my wrist today.

 

 

I actually post video reviews on my youtube channel that you guys might like. Here's the newest one:

 

post #38064 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH35 View Post
 

After feeling ashamed of my shoes and other clothes from so many threads here, I finally found one I can hang in! ;) This is what's on my wrist today.

 

 

I actually post video reviews on my youtube channel that you guys might like. Here's the newest one:

 

 

Way to make a splash! Both of the timepieces are stunning!

post #38065 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


I am a big proponent of picking what a maker is best known for or best at doing, which is because I care very much about a watch's genealogy and historical significance. Patek's sport watches have never been the company's forte and always played second fiddle to the Royal Oak. Genta designed the Nautilus after he did the Royal Oak for Audemars, after all. I think a lot of other enthusiasts and collectors feel similarly. That's why the 15202 is such a darling in the Royal Oak line-up--relative to the original Jumbo, it is the purest contemporary iteration of the watch.


Valid points and I think most who chose the AP 15202 would say the same. In fact many who don't own it would also say the same. However for me I'm more of a Patek fan and the overall design of the Patek 5711 works better for me. So although I may not be on the side of history, I enjoy my watch and that means more to me.

post #38066 of 48312

 

Gotta step up my shirt game.

post #38067 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH35 View Post
 

After feeling ashamed of my shoes and other clothes from so many threads here, I finally found one I can hang in! ;) This is what's on my wrist today.

 

 

 

I actually post video reviews on my youtube channel that you guys might like. Here's the newest one:

 

 

Halleluja :D

post #38068 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

image_zpsf357fb61.jpg~original

4264ae76-07da-4b47-8689-6f54c3500372_zps44868015.jpg~original

Gorgeous. Always wanted a Cartier tank. Maybe someday!
post #38069 of 48312

Im curious about the cost of producing one "luxury" watch!

 

Whats the total cost of producing a Rolex Submariner? Material, staff cost, rent and everything?

 

Its a far way off the retail price of 8550 USD i presume?

post #38070 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post

Im curious about the cost of producing one "luxury" watch!

Whats the total cost of producing a Rolex Submariner? Material, staff cost, rent and everything?

In all likelihood...15-25% of the MSRP. The rest is brand name prestige.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)