or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2511  

post #37651 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC (Houston) View Post

I love it in the stock photo pics. In Mimo's pics the case and strap seem out of balance. Is there really that much taper or is it an optical illusion?

Agreed. Also, I dont love the blue of the dial or the graph over the moonphase. GIve that watch a white dial, 2 or 3 hands only, no moonphase, and assuming the case/strap ratio is right, thats a winner right there.
post #37652 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Agreed. Also, I dont love the blue of the dial or the graph over the moonphase. GIve that watch a white dial, 2 or 3 hands only, no moonphase, and assuming the case/strap ratio is right, thats a winner right there.

So pretty much buy a completely different watch?

lol8[1].gif
post #37653 of 48312
LOL, but yeah I guess pretty much. I love the case shape, it's killer.
post #37654 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Looks great!  The BLNR could get me back into purchasing another Rolex.  Its been several years since I purchased one. 






BLNR got me over the cyclops and finally got me to buy a Rolex with a date.

Will likely not happen again anytime soon unless a coke bezel comes out next year.




Speaking or new Rolex prospects, I'm digging the new OP in steel dial with double batons. (not my pics)




They need to make the OP available with the fluted bezel too.
post #37655 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

Really?  There is absolutely zero chance that I would transition from being a potential customer to a buying customer at such a store.  Thankfully, I've never been in one.

Exactly. In fact, in my experience, the sales folks are real pushy about trying everything on, and I'm often reluctant because I don't want to fall in love with something that I shouldn't be buying (and I tend to be a tad impulsive as it is).

One thing that is kinda sad though is that they tend to keep the protective plastic on some of the higher end stuff. I understand why, but for certain watches, the brilliance of the bracelet, case and bezel finishing and interplay between the brushed and polished surfaces are major selling points. So while they preserve the condition of their stock, my guess is if they had them unwrapped they could sell a *lot* more watches. This piece that I've ordered and am hoping to receive sometime in 2014--while I've tried it on 3-4 times, I've actually never seen the bracelet in all its glory (aside from in pictures).
post #37656 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC (Houston) View Post

One thing that is kinda sad though is that they tend to keep the protective plastic on some of the higher end stuff. I understand why, but for certain watches, the brilliance of the bracelet, case and bezel finishing and interplay between the brushed and polished surfaces are major selling points. So while they preserve the condition of their stock, my guess is if they had them unwrapped they could sell a *lot* more watches. This piece that I've ordered and am hoping to receive sometime in 2014--while I've tried it on 3-4 times, I've actually never seen the bracelet in all its glory (aside from in pictures).

While I agree one can't truly appreciate the interplay between various finishes and edges when a watch has protective film on it,  I doubt that they would sell a lot more watches if they unwrapped them.  Also, on watches of a particular price range or even some brands, people want them as close to fresh from the factory as possible...so unwrapping them might actually hinder sales.  I've seen a plenty of pre-owned Pateks that were for sale, that the current owners still had in the sealed plastic bag and "transitional/travel" cardboard box.  

 

That being said, I have tried on some very nice pieces where sales people offered to take off the protective plastic bits so I could see what the watch truly looks like, but I always decline.  If I'm contemplating buying a piece, I prefer to take off the protective pieces myself...I don't want someone scratching something I might otherwise have purchased. 

post #37657 of 48312
What is it with the watch forums and not taking PayPal/only taking bank wires? So annoying.
post #37658 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

What is it with the watch forums and not taking PayPal/only taking bank wires? So annoying.

can't dispute wires!
post #37659 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

What is it with the watch forums and not taking PayPal/only taking bank wires? So annoying.

probably because paypal holds funds for some people, above a certain amount and because the minute a buyer has an "issue", paypal freezes the money on the seller's account and can very easily defraud the seller.
post #37660 of 48312
You also have to pay extra fees with PayPal.
post #37661 of 48312
But I'm not gonna do any of that. shog[1].gif
post #37662 of 48312
I'll wire funds but only after a proper vetting of the seller. That goes for all sorts of transactions, not just watches.
post #37663 of 48312
Moo, definitely do your homework before you buy. My relative that bought a Reverso from Belgium and paid with wire transfer, was send the wrong watch and still haven't received a refund more than a month after returning it. This with a 'Trusted Seller' on Chrono24.
post #37664 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC (Houston) View Post
In Mimo's pics the case and strap seem out of balance. Is there really that much taper or is it an optical illusion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Agreed!  I really liked the stock photo, ...but I don't love it in the wrist shots that Mimo posted.  

 

It's just a phone pic thing...and the deployant wasn't fastened in the first pic, so the taper is exaggerated by perspective as it hangs down the side of my wrist.  I can assure you that its proportions are very pleasing. :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post
I'm digging the new OP in steel dial with double batons

 

Me too, and quite happy for it to stay un-fluted.  This is very high on my wish list.

post #37665 of 48312

Man, I really dig that blue OP.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)