or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2493  

post #37381 of 48312
Are Ferrari Panerais completely gauche for non-Ferrari owners?
post #37382 of 48312
And for Ferrari owners.
post #37383 of 48312
LOL.
post #37384 of 48312
shog[1].gif
post #37385 of 48312

mafoofan, thank you for that incredibly informative posts! One question about the jewels or synthetic rubies, what purpose do they serve in modern movements or is it purely aesthetic?

 

nvm google told me fairly quickly


Edited by TradThrifter - 10/29/14 at 9:31am
post #37386 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

And for Ferrari owners.

:rotflmao:  Agreed !!!  If I were in the market for a Panerai I'd purchase a Radiomir or Luminor...but never the Ferrari Panerais. 

post #37387 of 48312
I already told Moo which Panerais to get but he won't listen.
post #37388 of 48312
Foo was most helpful.

I'm just an indecisive dude.
post #37389 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

Are Ferrari Panerais completely gauche for non-Ferrari owners?

I dont recall loving either, but I think some of the GPs for Ferrari were better than the Pannys. Id not buy either tho.
post #37390 of 48312
The Ferrari Panerais were not necessarily bad looking. The branding is just disgusting.
post #37391 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

That pedestrian Unitas is a prettier movement than anything Panerai makes in-house. It's just a pretty movement, period. Irony.


Well, I don't think any WIS would confuse it for a tricked-out Lange...

But yeah, for a movement that is typically described more in terms of being, well "reliable" or "proven"... I would agree that aesthetically it is perhaps underrated.

IMAG1041_zpsf325592e.jpg
post #37392 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

I dont recall loving either, but I think some of the GPs for Ferrari were better than the Pannys. Id not buy either tho.

The GP Ferrari watches were a bit more tasteful, but I'm not really a fan of car related watches or branding.  Maybe the closest I came to liking a car related watch would be the old Porsche Design watches  (Titan Chronograph, Ocean 2000, and their Compass Watch) when they were made by IWC.  I never bought one, but thought the designs were interesting...but actually those were not really anything to do with Porsche the car company, other than it doesn't hurt when starting a design company, to be the guy responsible for the design of the original Porsche 911 (among other things). 

post #37393 of 48312
I really like the looks, mechanics, etc. of FER00017 but the branding makes it really difficult to pull the trigger. I feel like it's a ton of bang for the buck though...
post #37394 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

The Ferrari Panerais were not necessarily bad looking. The branding is just disgusting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

The GP Ferrari watches were a bit more tasteful, but I'm not really a fan of car related watches or branding.  Maybe the closest I came to liking a car related watch would be the old Porsche Design watches  (Titan Chronograph, Ocean 2000, and their Compass Watch) when they were made by IWC.  I never bought one, but thought the designs were interesting...but actually those were not really anything to do with Porsche the car company, other than it doesn't hurt when starting a design company, to be the guy responsible for the design of the original Porsche 911 (among other things). 

Im on board with all that.
post #37395 of 48312
One thing I like about vintage pieces is the better than decent level of finishing that many everyday movements displayed. Take my recased Hamilton 917 pocket watch movement for example. I've owned a few prettied-up Unitas movements over the years but I don't think any of them can match this:

Hosting provided by FotoTime
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)