or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2474  

post #37096 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


I go back and forth every week. Right now all things considered I am leaning 15400. Also, the price bump of the 15202 is an issue for me, unless I want to wait another year.

I was planning to go 39mm until I finally got my hands on one. It was just too small for me and then once I saw the 15400 I really liked the more spacious dial (less of the porthole effect), in addition to the much heftier case.
post #37097 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


At the end, what matters is fineness of the finish and fitting. Panerai does a pretty good job of that (again, ornateness and fineness are not the same things).
This doesn't make any sense. On the one hand you say it is lame to match the color of your watch strap to the color of your shoes. On the other hand you say that it is important to pick colors that complement each other. Do you think dark brown complements black? Come on.

 

Complimentary does not necessarily equal matching.  As you well know. C'mon.

 

One of the best dressed local lawyers wears a gold Cartier tank on an oxblood croc strap.  Every single day. Regardless of the suit.  Always looks terrific.

post #37098 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post
 

I am going to kill 2 birds with one stone here.

First, the vintage "look" of the BB is not vintage, so is this bad?

No, it has actually been received quite well by most.

 

Second...

Well I am Breakin the Law (Priest reference :slayer:), here.

Blue shell boots with a *gasp* burgundy shell strap.

Throw in some red raw denim, and you get people all messed up.

 

 

Looks good to me and an example of what I was referring to in selecting a watch that compliments the outfit overall, as opposed to mindlessly matching strap with belt and shoes.  Nice watch, BTW.  Wish I hadn't sold mine.

post #37099 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

foo - I prefer to buy used and at good deals, and closer to $5k. Just personal preference. Any recommendations given those parameters?

Sure. With normal discount you should be able to get most of these new for $5,000-6,500. Prices will be even better if you find an AD in Europe and get the VAT taken off.

Cartier Tank MC ($7000 retail)


Cartier Tank Solo XL ($3,700 retail)


JLC Reverso Grande Taille ($7,650 retail)


JLC Master Control ($7,500 retail)


Panerai Luminor Base 8 Days (PAM560) ($7,500 retail)


Rolex Submariner No Date ($7,500 retail)
post #37100 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

Dang stitch, looking at 15400s? icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Looking or dreaming, Im not sure, as my grasp on reality has completely slipped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC (Houston) View Post

I was planning to go 39mm until I finally got my hands on one. It was just too small for me and then once I saw the 15400 I really liked the more spacious dial (less of the porthole effect), in addition to the much heftier case.

Yeah, when I have the dough Ill start trying on and I think that will be what tips one over the other. Your pics are a major influencer for the 400 btw.
post #37101 of 48312
"JLC Reverso Grande Taille ($7,650 retail)" - Tried that on once, no way Moo will be ok with that size. Will feel tiny on him I bet. Unless I am thinking of something else, but i dont think I am.
post #37102 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

Looks good to me and an example of what I was referring to in selecting a watch that compliments the outfit overall, as opposed to mindlessly matching strap with belt and shoes.  Nice watch, BTW.  Wish I hadn't sold mine.

You entirely missed the point. Different colors can obviously compliment each other. The trouble is when one of those colors is black.
post #37103 of 48312

Tan strap and blue suede shoes - oh the horror! :slapfight:

 

 

Hosting provided by FotoTime 

post #37104 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

"JLC Reverso Grande Taille ($7,650 retail)" - Tried that on once, no way Moo will be ok with that size. Will feel tiny on him I bet. Unless I am thinking of something else, but i dont think I am.

Well, Moo has got to man up and get over his size insecurities.
post #37105 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

Tan strap and blue suede shoes - oh the horror! smack.gifWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


orig.jpg
 

You're still not getting it. Please feel free to re-read what I've written.
post #37106 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


You entirely missed the point. Different colors can obviously compliment each other. The trouble is when one of those colors is black.


Not a problem - unless we are talking about tuxedoes.  With a suit, any dark shade watch strap - midnight blue, dark brown, oxblood - will look just fine with black shoes so long as the watch itself works with the outfit.

post #37107 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


You're still not getting it. Please feel free to re-read what I've written.


I'm getting it just fine.  I just don't agree with you.  There's a difference.

post #37108 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post


Not a problem - unless we are talking about tuxedoes.  Any dark shade watch strap - midnight blue, dark brown, oxblood - will look just fine with black shoes so long as the watch itself works with the outfit.

Again, you are still arguing against your own misapprehension. You can pair different colors with black, yes. Like midnight blue, burgundy, dark green, etc. What you cannot pair with black is browns and tans. For reasons already explained.
post #37109 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplan View Post

Wtf Rolex? It was your best current model confused.gif

I know!
post #37110 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post


Not a problem - unless we are talking about tuxedoes.  With a suit, any dark shade watch strap - midnight blue, dark brown, oxblood - will look just fine with black shoes so long as the watch itself works with the outfit.

I think what Foo had in mind was the more traditional business/dressy black shoes and black belt combo. I agree that a brown watch strap just doesn't work with that. I could imagine casual fits involving black shoes where the combo would not be as offensive, even though I probably would not do it myself. I don't recall Foo objecting to any other combination of shoe/strap or suggesting that those two should alwasy be coordinated.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)