or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2468  

post #37006 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I like JLCs, but I find the Duometre Quantiemme Lunaire too busy.  If buying try to find a pre-owned one.  JLC's in that price range have a very limited appeal, and low resale value so you could have trouble selling it unless you let it go for a "Fire sale price," if you ever tire of it.  I know Stitchy doesn't like the story, but a friend of mine tried to sell a limited ed. platinum JLC, that was in like new and a local high end pre-owned watch shop said there is no market for it.  They would only buy PP, AP, VC, Lange, Rolex and some Cartier.  Obviously, if you love it and see it as a keeper then go for it, but if you tire of watches and sell/trade them for others, its something to consider. 

Well, I certainly cant argue about the resale/value over time issue, but personally, I love that watch. I have handled it a few times in person, and its a treat beyond words.

Also, it has one of the most beautiful backs out there.

So, KOP I SAY!!!
post #37007 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Yes, not sure who invented the cushion shape case.  VC was definitely using it by at least 1921, hence their Historiques American 1921.  It seems a lot of companies used very interesting case shaped well before WWII...rectangles, tonneaus, tortues, squares etc.  Today, the market is strongly round watches with the occasional non-round shape (a few companies like JLC with the Reverso, and Cartier with their Tanks, and VC with their Historiques are the exceptions)

On that note, one of the most spectacular contemporary non-round watches in existence, the Patek 3670A in stainless steel and based on a vintage NOS movement:

post #37008 of 48312
You know what sucks? Getting a new watch but having no strap to wear it with.
post #37009 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


On that note, one of the most spectacular contemporary non-round watches in existence, the Patek 3670A in stainless steel and based on a vintage NOS movement:

 

A total steal at only CHF240,000 for a LE of 16.

post #37010 of 48312
I rather like that Patek.
post #37011 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

A total steal at only CHF240,000 for a LE of 16.

I said it was spectacular, didn't I?
post #37012 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

You know what sucks? Getting a new watch but having no strap to wear it with.

How does something like that happen?
post #37013 of 48312
Guys, does one strictly need to match the color of watch straps with belts and shoes?


Or is it better to go metal bracelet for convenience?
post #37014 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

I said it was spectacular, didn't I?

 

I like the aesthetics and the movement. Not so much the fact that it's made in steel.

post #37015 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC (Houston) View Post

How does something like that happen?

Watch was shipped from Europe. The AD is shipping the alligator strap separately to make sure there is no customs hold-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepp View Post

Guys, does one strictly need to match the color of watch straps with belts and shoes?


Or is it better to go metal bracelet for convenience?

1. No. However, if you are wearing black shoes and a black belt, and your watch strap is leather, it should be black.

2. Bracelets are more casual. I find them to be less versatile that way.
post #37016 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

I like the aesthetics and the movement. Not so much the fact that it's made in steel.

The fact that it is a steel Patek only makes it more awesome. Takes balls.
post #37017 of 48312
Thanks mafoofan.
post #37018 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


The fact that it is a steel Patek only makes it more awesome. Takes balls.

 

John Goldberger and Ben Clymer agree with you.  I disagree.

post #37019 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

A total steal at only CHF240,000 for a LE of 16.

Ha, I can't believe they used Times New Roman on those subdials. What is it with modern Patek and default commodity-box fonts? While I don't have the same level of objection on principle with TNR as I do with Arial (since it's at least not a fee-dodging knockoff), I'd expect better than something that almost as strongly evokes office drudgery and is about as ubiquitous due to Windows.

That sort of lazy typeface selection was one of the things that bugged me about my Reverso GMT, too. JLC uses it a lot (especially on the Duometre line that we're discussing), but I haven't noticed it on a on a Patek until now. Even worse, the amateurish numbering around the main dial is done in some kind of oddly squashed mismatch of serifs and sans-serifs, too.

Weak.
post #37020 of 48312
And the GP Sixties and GO Square Sixties chronos are cooler cases imho. Heck, so is the Tag Monza. Take that, Patek!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)