or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2459  

post #36871 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

This ad was supposed to show how the gigantic watch is more macho or something, but I think the smaller one looks a lot better, not to mention more traditionally masculine.

 

Does this guy even lift?  He needs to catch a workout with me.

post #36872 of 48312
Dino - thanks for the kind wishes. :-)

Mimo - 42mm
post #36873 of 48312

My Father-in-law finally took his early 90s two-tone Sub to the Rolex headquarters in Dallas.  Literally right across the street from him for the past 4 years but he wouldn't go.  They said a service on his watch was going to cost $1,600 because it needed a lot of work, and it does.  They also gave him a minimum of what it would cost for them to even work on it of something like $800-$900.

 

Good to see he is getting it cleaned and running longer than the <24hrs it would run.  I think he is just getting internals freshened up and leaving the case as it.

post #36874 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post

Nice writeup, Belli.

My pleasure, glad you liked it!

Here are another few tidbits if you're into this stuff:

watchmakingblog.com on Rolex's special gasket

Velociphile on balance wheels

It's regrettable that the latter blog is no longer being updated; a bit of detail on how stuff is made is a welcome break from the usual sales-pitches-disguised-as-reviews.
post #36875 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

@in stitches , silly question: that Pacha is the big manly one, not the little girly one, right?

 

Its Pasha with an S...not a C ;).  As Stitchy pointed out that is the 42mm, which was the last of that series. It used a JLC base. There have been various sizes of Pashas over the years, with the smallest at 35 mm (not counting smaller ladies models), and the largest of the standard production models were 42 mm.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

Thought: "decoration" is one thing.  "Finishing" is a bigger thing, whether or not it's designed to be decorative.  Perhaps some merging of the two in the popular consciousness?

I agree, people often speak of finish and decoration as those they are the same..  You can have a watch with a movement that is well finished, but basic in terms of decoration.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post
 

My Father-in-law finally took his early 90s two-tone Sub to the Rolex headquarters in Dallas.  Literally right across the street from him for the past 4 years but he wouldn't go.  They said a service on his watch was going to cost $1,600 because it needed a lot of work, and it does.  They also gave him a minimum of what it would cost for them to even work on it of something like $800-$900.

 

Good to see he is getting it cleaned and running longer than the <24hrs it would run.  I think he is just getting internals freshened up and leaving the case as it.

Sounds like there are certainly some worn out or damaged parts.  I had my Ex2 serviced this past spring (nothing wrong with it) and other than gaskets nothing needed replacing.  I did not have the case or bracelet refinished and it cost $600 for the service.  Anyway, wishing your Father-in-law many years of great use and enjoyment from his watch once it is repaired. 

post #36876 of 48312
Awesome post, btw, Belli. Rolex 4 lief.
post #36877 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Awesome post, btw, Belli. Rolex 4 lief.

+1, great info. I had been very AP focused over the last couple of years but recently rekindled my passion for Rolex.
post #36878 of 48312
AP. Le Sigh....
post #36879 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

AP. Le Sigh....

You definitely need to try a Royal Oak at some point. smile.gif
post #36880 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy_golfing View Post

I'm also interested in the explorer 1 in 36mm but some sites / people have mentioned the movement is not reliable or very hardy. Is this true?

Nah — that's bullshit, man. Not hardy compared to what, a G-Shock?

The cal. 3000 found in the 14270 model has had some criticism because it isn't the prettiest as far as decoration goes, but it's a well-engineered movement when it comes to function. Its reliability and toughness are at the top of the heap among mechanical wristwatch movements, and the same goes for the earlier 1570 and later 3130/3132 calibres. Although my preference in an Explorer would be for the earlier 1016 or later 114270, I wouldn't let it put me off those 1989-2001 models, which are great watches for actually wearing.

The 16200 and the 116000 are also worth considering if you like the Explorer, as I think they're unbeatable as a non-trendy goes-with-everything watch that you can wear every day. I went through this process myself recently, as I wanted something simple in 36 mm steel. I chose the 17000 Oysterquartz since I already have enough mechanical ones for now, but I could have just as easily gone with the Explorer, Datejust or OP. And I would not be concerned about reliability with any of them.


Edit: Yeah, what TheWraith said.

Thanks for the info! Now just to kop...
post #36881 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC (Houston) View Post

You definitely need to try a Royal Oak at some point. smile.gif

I don't even need to try one. I know exactly what I'm going to get, it's just a matter of when I have the funds ready.
post #36882 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

I don't even need to try one. I know exactly what I'm going to get, it's just a matter of when I have the funds ready.

nod[1].gif
post #36883 of 48312
smile.gif
post #36884 of 48312

First post over here. Hoping for your learned opinions. Do you guys think the premium for the new SD4000 over the SubC ND is worth it? Looks like it will cost me $2400 more for the 116600 (33%). No, I don't dive but the date would be nice and I like the look without the Cyclops. It is a little more exclusive but very subtle in that department, which I like.

 


Thanks

post #36885 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo 360T View Post
 

First post over here. Hoping for your learned opinions. Do you guys think the premium for the new SD4000 over the SubC ND is worth it? Looks like it will cost me $2400 more for the 116600 (33%). No, I don't dive but the date would be nice and I like the look without the Cyclops. It is a little more exclusive but very subtle in that department, which I like.

 


Thanks

 

The devil is in the details.  I look at the date quite a bit so I would go for a date model.  Recently though I have been lusting over older 5513 Subs (No Date) and they are very attractive.  I don't think you can go wrong with either.  Sorry I was not help.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)