or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2457  

post #36841 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

Surprised to hear so many doubting the Mark XV can be worn with a jacket. Granted I wouldn't wear it with a tux, but I've always thought it versatile enough to be a daily wearer in a jacket/trouser/tie optional office. I only voice my concern since it is likely to be my next watch (though God knows when I'll actually sack up and buy it).

@Kaplan, do you steer clear of wearing yours with a jacket?


Not at all, but then I only wear a jacket or a suit if I want to, not because I have to, so I happily pair that stuff with my (sporty) watches. Not that I wouldn't like a 'real' dress watch (like a Reverso) to switch it up from time to time.

I agree with RogerP that it's very clean and understated (especially on a leather strap) and I can't imagine anyone really thinking it looks out of place with a suit.
post #36842 of 48312
I'm in the same boat as you -- suits are pretty much only worn for weddings and funerals these days, and I honestly choose to not wear a watch with suits most times.

I do, however, wear some variation of odd jacket/trou and open-collar shirt for most of the week. I've tried the XV on with a similar rig in the past and never thought of it as out of place, so I was taken aback by it being classified as strictly casual/weekend wear.
post #36843 of 48312
Quote:
Far better watch than the newer 39mm version.

I can certainly understand a size (or stylistic) preference, but the 39mm version has the updated cal. 3132 with Parachrom hairspring, and the better bracelet with Easylink clasp, just to name a couple of upgrades.
Edited by Keith T - 10/21/14 at 2:22pm
post #36844 of 48312
I can't wear a 36mm watch - it looks too small on me. Sucks, but that's the conclusion at which I have arrived.

Stitchy, how come no go on the Vacheron?
post #36845 of 48312
I think the Ex 1 (still on my list), Inge or the mark xv are all good choices but since I am all about the Transocean lately, I would also suggest in that midrange, versatile business casual watch the Transocean day date. Saw this one in the mid threes (used).




Also the chrono can be had for well under 5k.
post #36846 of 48312
When I was a kid, my parents and I would vacation in Hawaii every year, and every year I would ask (as a 9, 10, 11, etc. year old) for them to buy me a shiny, yellow dialed Breitling. lol8[1].gif

Maybe I should fulfill my childhood dream?
post #36847 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

I can certainly understand a size (or stylistic) preference, but the 39mm version has the updated cal. 3132 with Parachrom hairspring, and the better bracelet with Easylink clasp, just to name a couple of upgrades.

Nothing wrong with the 36mm that immediately preceded the latest 39mm version. Some say this new thing is better, some say the old is better. The reality is, they're both Rolexes, they're both top notch quality. You win with either. I just prefer the size of the 36mm variety. The hands are too small on the 39mm version as well. It just looks odd to me, doesn't work overall IMO.

The OP 36mm is a great option, too. The oversized case and thicker lugs make this 36mm the way to go for people that think 36mm won't work for them, plus it has much of the updated aspects that the 39mm Explorer 1 has.
Edited by TheWraith - 10/21/14 at 2:56pm
post #36848 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

I'm in the same boat as you -- suits are pretty much only worn for weddings and funerals these days, and I honestly choose to not wear a watch with suits most times.

I do, however, wear some variation of odd jacket/trou and open-collar shirt for most of the week. I've tried the XV on with a similar rig in the past and never thought of it as out of place, so I was taken aback by it being classified as strictly casual/weekend wear.

Actually, giving this some more thought and my comment 'I can't imagine anyone really thinking it looks out of place with a suit', I guess I actually *can* imagine someone thinking that - in a hypothetical, highly conservative environment, but I don't know if such exist (to that degree).

It also just struck me, that when I do wear a suit, I often dress it down, so for me a sportier watch works just fine for that.
post #36849 of 48312
Quote:
When I was a kid, my parents and I would vacation in Hawaii every year, and every year I would ask (as a 9, 10, 11, etc. year old) for them to buy me a shiny, yellow dialed Breitling. lol8[1].gif

Maybe I should fulfill my childhood dream?


Make sure it has a giant diamond encrusted bezel.
post #36850 of 48312

@RFX45 Nice combo!  Love the GMT...the tank ain't bad either :fistbump:

post #36851 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy_golfing View Post

I'm also interested in the explorer 1 in 36mm but some sites / people have mentioned the movement is not reliable or very hardy. Is this true?

Nah — that's bullshit, man. Not hardy compared to what, a G-Shock?

The cal. 3000 found in the 14270 model has had some criticism because it isn't the prettiest as far as decoration goes, but it's a well-engineered movement when it comes to function. Its reliability and toughness are at the top of the heap among mechanical wristwatch movements, and the same goes for the earlier 1570 and later 3130/3132 calibres. Although my preference in an Explorer would be for the earlier 1016 or later 114270, I wouldn't let it put me off those 1989-2001 models, which are great watches for actually wearing.

The 16200 and the 116000 are also worth considering if you like the Explorer, as I think they're unbeatable as a non-trendy goes-with-everything watch that you can wear every day. I went through this process myself recently, as I wanted something simple in 36 mm steel. I chose the 17000 Oysterquartz since I already have enough mechanical ones for now, but I could have just as easily gone with the Explorer, Datejust or OP. And I would not be concerned about reliability with any of them.


Edit: Yeah, what TheWraith said.
post #36852 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

Although my preference in an Explorer would be for the earlier 1016 or later 114270...

+1 for the 114270 in particular (but all the Explorer 1 models you mention).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

I chose the 17000 Oysterquartz since I already have enough mechanical ones for now, but I could have just as easily gone with the Explorer, Datejust or OP. And I would not be concerned about reliability with any of them.

I gotta get me an Oysterquartz. I got me a hankering for one of those wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

Edit: Yeah, what TheWraith said.

fistbump.gif
post #36853 of 48312
I'd like to be associated with the words of the last speaker nod[1].gif
post #36854 of 48312
^ Haven't seen your Rolex beauty lately, mate wink.gif
post #36855 of 48312
Mate, you suckered me in...


New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)