Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Yesterday at 11:42 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on 9/23/16 at 10:32am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2418post #36257 of 4831210/9/14 at 7:20ampost #36258 of 4831210/9/14 at 7:46ampost #36259 of 4831210/9/14 at 8:01am
I love this BLNR love going on! Had it for a little over a year and on my wrist for 10 months. The micro-scratches on the polished links used to bother me...now I see them as character. Plus would polished links stop you from buying a Daytona?post #36260 of 4831210/9/14 at 8:03am
You will find plenty of fans of the various Pilots, especially the XV/XVI. The opinion on IWC as a brand is more varied - some of the royalty here dislike their mass-market push over the last few years, and find the resultant price hike unjustified.
Personally, I lust after a Portuguese Chronograph - not the latest one, the one with the awkward case shape. It is not loved universally by any means, but there are a couple of owners here, and many more not-so-secret admirers like me.
But most of all, it's OK to like whatever you like. This is a friendly place, with any fanboyishness expressed and understood, usually, with some self-awareness and humour.
Now get your pics out. :)post #36261 of 4831210/9/14 at 8:12amWait... wut? Since when did admiration for the original Portuguese Chrono have to be a guilty pleasure? I don't think it a particularly compelling value, but I do think it is an absolutely gorgeous chronograph. Had one back in the day and loved it.post #36262 of 4831210/9/14 at 8:26amThe 7 day in particular is one of the most stunning watches I have seen. I am also a fan of the Ingenieur I just don't like the fact they use ETA movements at their price point modified or not. If they were less, I wouldn't bat an eye to pick one up.post #36263 of 4831210/9/14 at 8:33amQuote:
Nice! Honestly, I couldn't imagine the BLNR (or the daytona) without the polished center links. It looks weird to me when I see one that has been modified to remove them.post #36264 of 4831210/9/14 at 8:38ampost #36265 of 4831210/9/14 at 8:40amQuote:
I think the polished links suit the look of the Daytona much better, the polished links of the BLNR still look off to me and likely always will. I don't really see it as a comparable in terms of polished surfaces, but to each their own with watches. Really like the BLNR on the Sub bracelet though.post #36266 of 4831210/9/14 at 8:45amQuote:
Man, I was just admiring my Daytona and staring at it a bit long and the polished links started to get swirl marks.
Shit is unavoidable so you just got to love and enjoy them. One solution is paying $2k+ for a Sub bracelet and switching it up, it doesn't go as well on the Daytona but on the GMT it works well plus you get the great glidelock system.
Speaking of Rolexes, Banks Lyon just lost their Rolex AD status and is having a Rolex sale: http://www.bankslyon.co.uk/rolex-sale-watches
If you contact them they said they will ship to the US but can only accept bank transfer payments. You do have to pay duties but it seems they are willing to lower it a bit so they charge you less. Some Datejusts are going for 20% off (because they remove VAT too), which is a lot for a brand new.
You can calculate the duties here: http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/
You can only calculate about 4-5 times before they ask you to pay so use it wisely. In general though Rolex duty fees cost 6% plus processing fees. The lower the declared value (which they seem like they would to some extent) the lower your duty fees.
Now the best way to buy is if you have the time to fly over there and buy in person, the more you buy the better too as no import and VAT is removed. If you proxy for people, you can make a killing.post #36267 of 4831210/9/14 at 8:48ampost #36268 of 4831210/9/14 at 8:58ampost #36269 of 4831210/9/14 at 9:05ampost #36270 of 4831210/9/14 at 9:37am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 3 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 11 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 22 minutes ago
- › Can someone tell me who makes this pair of RLPL shoe? 24 minutes ago
- › Official Terrorist Bombing and Other Acts of Inhumanity Thread 32 minutes ago
- › What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately? 32 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 37 minutes ago
- › RL Black Label to merge with Purple Label 38 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 40 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...