Spot on Frilly!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Yesterday at 3:13 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 11:08 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2409post #36121 of 4831210/6/14 at 6:23ampost #36122 of 4831210/6/14 at 6:27ampost #36123 of 4831210/6/14 at 6:48amQuote:
There's a reason the 114270 hasn't been sold: it was my first "good" watch, it's been around for years and seen me through the birth of two kids, and though my preferences have evolved to desire her larger, beefier sisters every so often, her svelte 36mm good looks always have a welcome place on my wrist. There are also fine details like that raised crystal, rounded edges (which the Subs and SDs don't have, but the Daytona does), and lacquered dial that offer a visual and tactile feast for a nerd like me. Yes, I love the matte dials of the SD4000 and DSSD (original) as well, but I do not love the lacquered dials of the Exp I and SubC ref 114060 (note how I am NOT referring to it as the ND) any less.
For perspective, I traded out my first Patek Calatravas for higher complications like the perpetuals. But I don't see myself trading out my 114270 anytime soon, market value aside.post #36124 of 4831210/6/14 at 7:16am
Sorry, just getting caught up and saw this. I have this 4 winder from Heiden, and love it. It also runs on batteries which is a plus because it's easy to move around and can be put in places that don't have easy access to an outlet.post #36125 of 4831210/6/14 at 7:22amI'm not saying the Explorer is a purely dress watch but in comparison to the Sub, it can be dressed up just because it's much slimmer and more toned down. It looks good on a leather strap.
(not my pic)
Ya'll act like people don't wear Subs with a suit. Yeah it doesn't make it a dress watch but if it works, it works. Obviously it's going to be subjective but not everyone goes to a black tie event when wearing a suit.
Maybe I may have misread or cross-read frills Explorer post but I thought Ari was deciding between a Sub and Explorer hence my post about explorer working as a dress watch in comparison to the Sub and not the IWC?post #36126 of 4831210/6/14 at 7:26am
@TC (Houston) , whatever the relative merits of the winder, about which I know nothing, that is such a pleasing collection of things. Sure, leaning towards the larger and more modern tastes so perhaps not for the purists (though these are only the autos anyway), but that's a very delicious quartet. Thank you for the drool.
@RFX45 I kind of agree. It looks OK on a strap, but I think it does in the form Rolex intended, too. Sure, if you're being rigid about it, no watch on a bracelet is a dress watch. But as they go, I think the Explorer and the OP, even the DJ or DD, are perfectly subtle enough for a suit. The Sub with a suit thing is maybe a reasonable allegory for the sneakers, but the Explorer with a suit, to me is more of a monkstrap - not classically dressy, but perfectly smart by contemporary mores.post #36127 of 4831210/6/14 at 9:08amI would never think of it as a dress watch either, but I will say that those pics of the Explorer on strap do look pretty good....credit to their respective OPs.
Mine (the 39mm version) has never been off its bracelet, although I've contemplated some NATOs previously.post #36128 of 4831210/6/14 at 9:22amQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
, whatever the relative merits of the winder, about which I know nothing, that is such a pleasing collection of things. Sure, leaning towards the larger and more modern tastes so perhaps not for the purists (though these are only the autos anyway), but that's a very delicious quartet. Thank you for the drool.
Haha, thanks. I always appreciate all of the different perspectives from the posters here, it's what makes this thread so fun and educational. But in the end, I always buy what I like and what I think I will enjoy wearing the most. I think the next purchase will be particularly unpopular and I'm looking forward to the feedback.post #36129 of 4831210/6/14 at 9:35amQuote:Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Sorry, just getting caught up and saw this. I have this 4 winder from Heiden, and love it. It also runs on batteries which is a plus because it's easy to move around and can be put in places that don't have easy access to an outlet.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Out of interest, how long do the batteries last for, say with four watches spinning at the same time? Are the batteries rechargeable?post #36130 of 4831210/6/14 at 9:42ampost #36131 of 4831210/6/14 at 9:43amA fake Rolex? I keed. I think the statement below rings true, buy what makes you happy, unless you are collecting with a purpose of resale.Quote:Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Haha, thanks. I always appreciate all of the different perspectives from the posters here, it's what makes this thread so fun and educational. But in the end, I always buy what I like and what I think I will enjoy wearing the most. I think the next purchase will be particularly unpopular and I'm looking forward to the feedback.post #36132 of 4831210/6/14 at 9:52ampost #36133 of 4831210/6/14 at 11:08ampost #36134 of 4831210/6/14 at 11:18ampost #36135 of 4831210/6/14 at 11:26am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 1 second ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 13 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 36 seconds ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 2 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 7 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 10 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 17 11 minutes ago
- › Exquisite Trimmings - Based in London, UK - Official Affiliate Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 17 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...