Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 2:50 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 8:38 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2408post #36106 of 4831210/5/14 at 2:56pmpost #36107 of 4831210/5/14 at 5:32pmpost #36108 of 4831210/5/14 at 6:40pmpost #36109 of 4831210/5/14 at 7:01pmpost #36110 of 4831210/5/14 at 8:02pmFrilly, if I can ask, how many watches are in your collection?
Every time I enter this thread and see all these Rolex's the thought crosses my mind: "Well… some look nice. I should get one. But first, the Speedy!"post #36111 of 4831210/5/14 at 11:46pmFunny, I am the other way with Omegas. Have considered the Speedy, SMP Bond and Aqua Terra and just can't quite pull the trigger. I swear those watches are always in the running when buying but just never makes it over the hump. Maybe one day...
Tough choice. I want to say Sub because it is just that quintessential Rolex but then again you already have a sport watch in the Speedy and between the Sub and Explorer, the Explorer is more versatile and can work as a dress watch as well. I think it would be best to try both on and just see which works for you and your intended purpose. They wear differently from each other, the Subs wears much bigger and bulkier.
Best of luck!post #36112 of 4831210/6/14 at 12:06ampost #36113 of 4831210/6/14 at 12:57ampost #36114 of 4831210/6/14 at 1:02ampost #36115 of 4831210/6/14 at 1:41amQuote:
Of course the correct answer is "both". But you did add the caveat "next", so we'll take that as read. The Sub is the more classic, and I take the point that you already have a chrono, but my vote is for the Portuguese: you have a watch with a black dial, with an overtly sporty feel about it. The Portuguese Chronograph might technically be a sports watch, but in reality, if you're getting one of the white dial options, I think it flies as a dress watch really well - if rather ostentatiously. Get that. Then get the Sub. Either way, my cheap ass will respect and envy you.
With all the wildly impressive confections in your candy store, this simple little item is still a most satisfying gobstopper. The great photographs help, but you are really telling the story of why this is such a great watch. It just doesn't get old, does it?Quote:
You might well come to regret asking.
Yes, they are very nice. Although I suspect you might benefit from coming down one size and up one width. And personally, I think such an elegant last shape works better as an oxford than a derby: a derby brogue is very "country" in my eyes, and works best in a more solid and utilitarian shape (with a heavier welt and sole to match). But yes, nice toes.
However, short sleeved shirts are nasty. I know they're de rigeur in SE Asia, but this is Styleforum and cultural relativism is merely compromise. Also, is that a black belt with these brown shoes? That's a "no".
On the bright side, you're really selling that Black Bay. Nice job, brother.
P.S. Eid Mubarak. :)post #36116 of 4831210/6/14 at 3:20am
@mimo u da man! Seriously you got sharp eyes and you read my mind. The shoes (Magnanni Sergio) run long due to its elongated shape. And they are slightly longer compare to what I normally wear and I wanted to go down 1/2 size but they would not fit comfortably so I had to go with these (at creases the shoes are pressing my feet to the point it hurts).
The belt is actually dark brown, appears black due to poor lighting. I have to wear short sleeve here in 36-40 celcius heat, too hot to wear long sleeve except in the evening. The heat plus the humidity is unbearable and it's just getting hotter by the year :(
Derby vs. oxford totally agree with you but again with my situation here I opted for derby, if I wear a suit then oxford but I don't get to wear suit often enough :((
Cheers & happy Eid Mubarak (I don't celebrate it though)post #36117 of 4831210/6/14 at 4:42ampost #36118 of 4831210/6/14 at 6:01ampost #36119 of 4831210/6/14 at 6:10ampost #36120 of 4831210/6/14 at 6:20amQuote:
Yeah. I don't consider my Exp I or any of my dive watches a "dress watch." On rare occasions I have worn them with a suit or sports jacket just to "break the rules" when I feel like it, but I prefer my other watches for relatively more formal wear.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 8 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 8 seconds ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 3 minutes ago
- › Introduce yourself. 8 minutes ago
- › 3 Piece Fresco Suit??? 14 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 26 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 31 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 34 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 37 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 44 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › The Current Popular Menswear Pieces
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway