or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2384  

post #35746 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

This really all started with my local Patek dealer that finally got a decent model in, in Australia there isn't many choices when comes in anything, a 5140G. I was just window shopping and decided to have a feel for the watch, to be honest, I knew Patek is expensive, but didn't expect it to be more than 100K! This is the first time I found something I thought I can afford but really can't.... wow.gifshog[1].gif

Then finally got around to do a bit more research instead of embarrassing myself again, and annual calendar is a good entry level complication for Pateks. When the local vintage watch store got a 2011 5146G is excellent condition, I decided to trade in my 3 Longines and 1 omega which I didn't wear and paid the big difference remaining.

After consolidation, 1 PP, 1 JLC, 2 Rolex, 2 Omega, and 1 ML.

Congratulations!!! Pics!
post #35747 of 48312
Thanks, Belligero. She is a real beauty.
What makes it also special is that it's a joint gift from my long divorced parents for an upcoming special anniversary of mine. smile.gif
Suffice to say the D will stay with me forever.

And agree with all you said.
post #35748 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

Picked up my first Patek...

Dude, Wurger... congrats! I have always been a big fan of the 5146 (IIRC)! I hope you wear it in the best of health, I know you will love it.
post #35749 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

Picked up my first Patek, literally no sartorial purchase for the the end of next year....

strange how the people in the store doesn't bother to change the moon phase, had to correct it myself when I get home.

 

Oh here it is!  Is that dial slate grey?

post #35750 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Congratulations!!! Pics!

+1. Outstanding!! Congrats!
post #35751 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

I like the idea of the Sistem 51 more than the execution.

You summed that up pretty well.

Picked one out of interest while boring myself to death at the airport. Let's just say that it's a Swatch: plasticky and sort of fun. From horological advances point of view, there are some merits and it is an interesting concept but then the execution is pure Swatch: light, plastic, usable, feels nice to wear and it's a good beater. Keeps reasonably good time, 8 secs/day on normal desk diving duties.

If you are not taking yourself seriously, pick one up, they're cheap. If you want more bang for the buck, similar Seiko's fit your bill.
post #35752 of 48312
Saw this in WSJ over the weekend: Omega recently unveiled some nice looking branded NATO straps

http://on.wsj.com/1vcyKwm

They had me until I saw the $150 price tag.

$250 for a leather NATO strap is more reasonable (and I've never heard of this before).

Anyone going to get one?
post #35753 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

Picked up my first Patek, literally no sartorial purchase for the the end of next year....

strange how the people in the store doesn't bother to change the moon phase, had to correct it myself when I get home.

For some reason PPs have never grabbed me, but I absolutely LOVE this one. Great choice, well done. Hope you enjoy it.

post #35754 of 48312
This came in the email today from Watchbuys. For those with Sinn watches you might find this interesting if you haven't already seen it. Although, I don't know the benefit over using someone local.

RGM is Now Training on the Inert Gas Filling Machine - Equipment is in Place

We are very fortunate to partner with one of the very best in the business - Roland Murphy and his team at RGM.

Roland has provided service for the watches we sell for many years, and in just a few weeks will be able to service substantially all watches within the Sinn Collection.

WatchBuys has purchased from Sinn all of the equipment necessary to service Sinn watches which are inert gas filled (designated as Ar) and this equipment is now on site in Pennsylvania.

RGM is working with Sinn to train on the proper use of this equipment and the related copper sulphate capsules on these watches, and we expect this process to complete in the next few weeks
.

I like the idea of Omega bringing back OEM natos but $150? Tudor is probably similar. It's a bit of a cash grab.
post #35755 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

I was also thinking of what Culverwood said, about TWAT-darlings, and wondering how that would play at a more accessible price point.  Sinn 556, and various Stowas, seem to be there so far, and I can't argue against them.  Seiko is the mechanical value choice at an even lower price too.  But of course, a grand is too cheap for others to have thought about!

Anyway, more the merrier.  In the mean time, great Daytona pics.  This thread is nothing without the pr0n.

So just totally ignoring my suggestion?
post #35756 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimulacra View Post

Saw this in WSJ over the weekend: Omega recently unveiled some nice looking branded NATO straps

http://on.wsj.com/1vcyKwm

They had me until I saw the $150 price tag.

$250 for a leather NATO strap is more reasonable (and I've never heard of this before).

Anyone going to get one?

 

Nope.

 

http://www.natostrap.com/Home/Custom_Straps/Custom_Straps.html

post #35757 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

This really all started with my local Patek dealer that finally got a decent model in, in Australia there isn't many choices when comes in anything, a 5140G. I was just window shopping and decided to have a feel for the watch, to be honest, I knew Patek is expensive, but didn't expect it to be more than 100K! This is the first time I found something I thought I can afford but really can't.... wow.gifshog[1].gif

Then finally got around to do a bit more research instead of embarrassing myself again, and annual calendar is a good entry level complication for Pateks. When the local vintage watch store got a 2011 5146G is excellent condition, I decided to trade in my 3 Longines and 1 omega which I didn't wear and paid the big difference remaining.

After consolidation, 1 PP, 1 JLC, 2 Rolex, 2 Omega, and 1 ML.

Congrats on your new addition!  Looks like a very good consolidation of your collection, and a nice selection of watches to choose from depending on the occasion. 

post #35758 of 48312
Quote:

The grain on the kangaroo tail NATOs looks very nice.
post #35759 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post

For some reason PPs have never grabbed me
Consider yourself lucky.wink.gif
post #35760 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
 

For some reason PPs have never grabbed me, but I absolutely LOVE this one. Great choice, well done. Hope you enjoy it.

 

I feel rather the same.  I really admire some of them, but I don't lie awake at night dreaming of a particular one of them, like I do with many others (sad, but I know you get it!).  This, though, is rock and roll.  Even though it's kind of all wrong - my prejudice says there's no point in a calendar not being a perpetual calendar, and my general dislike of date windows on dress watches, and preference for an off white dial on them too.  But, all of this adds up to awesome: it's a lovely size, the dial is balanced but full of character, and it's quintessentially PP without being..I don't know..dare I say...obvious?  I looked up the platinum one, too - fabulous.  The great thing with these super baller watches is you do seem to be able to find an impressive deal: still monstrously expensive, but at least you can be smug in paying 30% less than that oligarch before you.  Bloody brilliant, Wurger, really.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

So just totally ignoring my suggestion?

 

Oh, I do apologise.  Not at all - I've looked up and pored over anything with which I wasn't already familiar, including this.  I'm sorry I didn't acknowledge it.  In a way, I'm ignoring every suggestion because I already know what I have coming, but I'm genuinely interested in what the TWAT Borg-brain will generate.  After all, it's never over, is it?  Thank you for sharing this - I'd never have known, and I am intrigued.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)