Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 1:30 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 6:45 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2379post #35671 of 483129/20/14 at 6:04pmpost #35672 of 483129/21/14 at 8:39ampost #35673 of 483129/21/14 at 9:11ampost #35674 of 483129/21/14 at 9:48amQuote:Originally Posted by Kaplan
^ 40 or 38.5??
@RFX45, nice wrist shots of the Daytona. Hope you get the chance to take some similar ones with the OP.
40. And dang those pics of the black Daytona ... stunning ... it's amazing how certain watches get stuck in your head over time - that was one I seriously considered for this iteration but couldn't double up as I have a Speedy.
For those who want to keep guessing, here's the current collection (chronologically):
Omega Seamaster (vintage 1960s)
Rolex Datejust 16220
Omega Speedmaster 3572.50
Let's just say the new guy fits me as I sometimes (often?) I act like a tool ...
Once again, thanks to TWAT for sending me down the vortex two years ago. I'm also taking advice of many to get this watch buying out of the way before I'm tied down with a SO and kids.
Edited by suaviter - 9/21/14 at 7:17pmpost #35675 of 483129/21/14 at 10:27ampost #35676 of 483129/21/14 at 11:59ampost #35677 of 483129/21/14 at 12:22pmpost #35678 of 483129/21/14 at 1:13pmpost #35679 of 483129/21/14 at 1:34pmpost #35680 of 483129/21/14 at 3:15pm
Congrats! Looking forward to seeing your new arrival posted here soon. You owe us some wrist shots
Love the dial on that one, just wish it didn't have those weak soldered lugs that can easily be snapped off if it accidentally gets banged against a door frame or other solid item.post #35681 of 483129/21/14 at 5:55pmpost #35682 of 483129/21/14 at 9:53pmpost #35683 of 483129/22/14 at 1:55amIs it me or is this thread getting less and less open to non TWAT approved watches. About half an dozen watch brands and elicit fawning approval and most others grudging acceptance or outright hostility. These are profit making companies and there is as little sense in the fan mentality for companies as there is for football clubs or pop stars.post #35684 of 483129/22/14 at 2:18am
I think that's a trait in this forum, for sure, and indeed in any forum: there is always some kind of "group think" that evolves in any society, or even a microcosm of a society, like this. "SF likes.." or "TWAT likes..." are real phenomena. But it doesn't mean they can't be challenged.
I'd disagree about "outright hostility", though. I think most people - in this thread/subject particularly - are generally polite and accepting. Sure, everyone expresses strong negative and positive opinions here, but I don't think I can recall anyone being attacked. On the contrary, any negativity towards a certain piece or maker tends to be justified and debated in considerable detail, without ever getting personal. Also, though there are definite TWAT-favourites, they do vary, and even the most obvious favourites like Patek and Rolex, have been slated here too for models that are considered below par.
This is the best and friendliest thread on SF. At least I think so. But it will ruin your life. There is that.post #35685 of 483129/22/14 at 2:54amQuote:
That happened to me once. Took my YM diving, water got in. Long story short, movement was damaged beyond repair, Rolex wanted $7,000 (or some other silly money) to fix it. I figured screw it, managed to find a used 3135 somewhere (eBay I think?) and paid a watch repair guy to replace it. Think it cost me less than $2,000 in all, except I can't ever take my YM back to Rolex ever. Expensive lesson, and then some.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 1 minute ago
- › ***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)*** 3 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 10 minutes ago
- › Arc'teryx and Veilance Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 20 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 22 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 24 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 24 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway