or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2375  

post #35611 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

Speaking of new Rolexes, what do you guys think of the new Cellinins? Looking forward to checking them out in person. The Cellini time in Rose Gold and black dial (second from the left) looks pretty damn good.

 

There are a few Cellinis that look pretty good.  However, even as a big Rolex fan, I've never had a desire to own one.  For what they cost there have always been watches from other brands I'd rather own.  Rolex produces great sports watches and all purpose watches, but IMHO dress watches are not an area in which they excel. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

 

@no frills I get you.  It's not my idea of beautiful exactly, and some of them I just find plain ugly, while at that price point it would be bordering on insane.  But, as you said, putting one on the wrist does help you at least "get it".  

 

 

 

More to the point, they are bumping right up against the likes of JLC, Piaget, Cartier, GO, Blancpain (choose your flavour) for an interesting precious metal dress watch.  I don't think that's a choice from which anyone other than the most ardent Rolex brand-whore would say "I'll take the Cellini, please".  

The RM watches just don't do anything for me at all.  I get the engineering that goes into them, but I find them so ugly that none of them would ever make my dream wish list.  I see them as a brand that has gone out of their way to be different and stand apart from others, which is fine, however different doesn't translate to better.  This is another brand that when I see what they cost, there are lots of other watches I would rather own for the same money or less.  

 

Agree completely with your assessment of Cellinis.  :cheers:

post #35612 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

That's very funny, and well observed.  But someone has a real hard-on for IWC!  And Omega as a Tag Heuer substitute? Harsh! Though I guess with the current Omega PR profile and the endless special editions, they have a point.  I'd like an exception for vintage and current classics, though.  Anyway, thanks for the share: I'm sure a lot of JLC owners in this thread will be feeling especially warm inside....


Wow! Harsh is right! Omega not even a first choice?

I'm changing my avatar in protest.

Nobody puts baby in a corner! LOL.
post #35613 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

 

@no frills I get you.  It's not my idea of beautiful exactly, and some of them I just find plain ugly, while at that price point it would be bordering on insane.  But, as you said, putting one on the wrist does help you at least "get it".  It's edge of the bell curve, specialist interest strangeness.  As a piece of pure engineering, it's engaging and fascinating, especially when you notice simultaneously its extraordinary precision and near-weightlessness.  They're remarkable.  Not for me, even if I had the wonga, but a wonder nevertheless:

 

 

^^^ All of that.  I wouldn't buy one myself, but when I put the RG RM011 on my wrist, it wasn't "OMFG take this sh*t off my wrist it's horrible."

 

If my Sugar Mommy gave me one as a gift I would accept it.

post #35614 of 48312
Totally want to see that purple dial Rolex in person, btw.

And re: Cellinis, this might be mixing metaphors somehow, but they seem to be outside their "core competence" when it comes to dress watches in general.

There was a Prince model available a few years ago that I kinda liked, but as others have said, there are probably multiple "better choices" in that price range.
post #35615 of 48312
This morning I tried on an all platinum Day-Date with dia hour markers. Was pretty damn cool. Ultra heavy.
post #35616 of 48312
Well, then just have Sugar Mommy buy it for you biggrin.gif
post #35617 of 48312
About the Cellinis, that's pretty accurate to the feelings I get from most. There are better alternatives for the price. I think the new ones are an update from the past but I only really like the time version because the dial is simple. If i were honest though, if they didn't make a rg x blk combo, I might just glance past it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

That's very funny, and well observed.  But someone has a real hard-on for IWC!  And Omega as a Tag Heuer substitute? Harsh! Though I guess with the current Omega PR profile and the endless special editions, they have a point.  I'd like an exception for vintage and current classics, though.  Anyway, thanks for the share: I'm sure a lot of JLC owners in this thread will be feeling especially warm inside....

Like making a Goldfinger watch even though James Bond wore a Rolex in the film? And of course you have to put the 007 logo in there somewhere! lol8[1].gif

post #35618 of 48312

From a technical perspective, I assume RM watches are up there with other brands like MB&F.  They are interesting to look at as people push the boundaries but my hard earned money would go elsewhere.  

 

The Rolex Cellini's are interesting though I have never seen anyone wearing one.  Has anyone had a glimpse of one in the wild?  Would love to meet someone and hear their reasoning.

 

Water resistance came up the other day in a conversation with my boss.  He scuba dives and said all of his watches have to have at least a 30M rating so as not to get damaged when he goes under water with them.  It made me cringe a little thinking that he has worn his Cartier dress watch under water.  I mentioned it may not be a good idea to do that but he seemed to not be interested in logic.  Going to be one of those "told you so" moments at some point....

post #35619 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Well, then just have Sugar Mommy buy it for you biggrin.gif

Whodat?!
post #35620 of 48312
And hey, I'm taking the little cartoon just for what it is: a light-hearted piece of observational fluff. Entertaining! It's all good.

Yes, a bit snarky, and certainly has some truthiness about it.... but of course incomplete, in the sense that you can't cover every single brand out there (No Blancpain? No Zenith? GP?)

Lord knows Omega doesn't need me defending it. Every brand has their faults, and they're no different.
post #35621 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post


The Rolex Cellini's are interesting though I have never seen anyone wearing one.
Neither have I.
post #35622 of 48312
I have. 2 people I can think of off hand.
post #35623 of 48312
Not many ADs in my area even carry Cellinis. I recently noticed the AD I frequent has one lonely piece sitting by the very corner that seemed like it's been there for maybe 5 years.
post #35624 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

This morning I tried on an all platinum Day-Date with dia hour markers. Was pretty damn cool. Ultra heavy.

I tried one on some time ago.  It qualifies as a s form of weightlifting.  I'm not really a Day-Date guy, but its amazing to have that much platinum on your wrist at once.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post
Like making a Goldfinger watch even though James Bond wore a Rolex in the film? And of course you have to put the 007 logo in there somewhere! lol8[1].gif

^^^ I find it amusing that because Omega is currently affiliated with the Bond films, they made a 50th Anniversary Goldfinger watch, even though they had nothing to do with that film.  Another silly limited edition from the boys at Omega.  Then we will probably will see a 20th Anniversary Goldeneye Seamaster in 2015!  If we are really lucky we might get a 46th anniversary of the landing on the moon, anniversary the same year!  What will the marketing team there think of next....wait for it...a 47th anniversary of the moon landing in 2016! Then they can do their 20th Anniversary of Tomorrow Never Dies in 2017...and just for the hell of it maybe they can make a Star Wars 30th Anniversary watch during the same year (why not make another limited edition movie watch for another film they had nothing to do with).  Sorry for the rant.  Just sick of the countless limited editions they produce. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

 

Water resistance came up the other day in a conversation with my boss.  He scuba dives and said all of his watches have to have at least a 30M rating so as not to get damaged when he goes under water with them.  It made me cringe a little thinking that he has worn his Cartier dress watch under water.  I mentioned it may not be a good idea to do that but he seemed to not be interested in logic.  Going to be one of those "told you so" moments at some point....

Yikes!  I've never heard of anyone going scuba diving with a watch with less than 100m of water resistance.  That could be an expensive lesson someday.  

post #35625 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

 Then we will probably will see a 20th Anniversary Goldeneye Seamaster in 2015!  


Put a laser function and I am all over it!


New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)