Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 2:43 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 10:00 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2374post #35596 of 483129/18/14 at 7:40pmpost #35597 of 483129/18/14 at 8:00pmYeah it does seem made to attract women more than men but it's undertandable as everything at Basel was pretty much aimed for mens anyways.
Speaking of new Rolexes, what do you guys think of the new Cellinins? Looking forward to checking them out in person. The Cellini time in Rose Gold and black dial (second from the left) looks pretty damn good.
Actually all 3 in RGxBLK are nice.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #35598 of 483129/18/14 at 8:05pmpost #35599 of 483129/18/14 at 8:25pmpost #35600 of 483129/18/14 at 10:45pm
this made me lol a little (lolal?)post #35601 of 483129/19/14 at 1:21ampost #35602 of 483129/19/14 at 3:34amQuote:
@no frills I get you. It's not my idea of beautiful exactly, and some of them I just find plain ugly, while at that price point it would be bordering on insane. But, as you said, putting one on the wrist does help you at least "get it". It's edge of the bell curve, specialist interest strangeness. As a piece of pure engineering, it's engaging and fascinating, especially when you notice simultaneously its extraordinary precision and near-weightlessness. They're remarkable. Not for me, even if I had the wonga, but a wonder nevertheless:Quote:Quote:Quote:
They really are something else in person. Even the "grape" colours are far less offensive. I too wouldn't go for the purple-ish one, but it's quite subtle in real life. The "white grape" is actually quite attractive, and as delicate a tone as white wine. And as I've already mentioned, the grey one, I think, is absolutely stunning:
There's nothing at all girly about it. I love that "Sunray" effect on the dial - all three have it, and it makes the dial capture the colour and light of the surroundings so it's constantly changing, even on the brighter ones. It's both understated and fascinating at the same time. Perhaps "red grape" is getting there, but in person, these don't come across at all as "novelty". More like the modest, entry level men's Rolexes that they are, that manage to project all the quality with very little show. I'm sold. Six months or thereabouts, all being well...
I think they're OK. The black dials on rose gold are striking, and I prefer the more subtle white gold versions. But overall, I find them a bit fussy. Those bezels, the roman numerals on most, the texture of the dial: all features that could make them interesting, yet when piled together seem to be trying a bit hard. Also that business of putting the minute markers in a ring so far in from the edge of the dial...meh..looks cheap.
More to the point, they are bumping right up against the likes of JLC, Piaget, Cartier, GO, Blancpain (choose your flavour) for an interesting precious metal dress watch. I don't think that's a choice from which anyone other than the most ardent Rolex brand-whore would say "I'll take the Cellini, please".
Edited by mimo - 9/19/14 at 4:03ampost #35603 of 483129/19/14 at 3:36ampost #35604 of 483129/19/14 at 3:38amQuote:Originally Posted by nabilmust
That's very funny, and well observed. But someone has a real hard-on for IWC! And Omega as a Tag Heuer substitute? Harsh! Though I guess with the current Omega PR profile and the endless special editions, they have a point. I'd like an exception for vintage and current classics, though. Anyway, thanks for the share: I'm sure a lot of JLC owners in this thread will be feeling especially warm inside....post #35605 of 483129/19/14 at 3:54ampost #35606 of 483129/19/14 at 4:02am
A few of them are in the 15-18k range I think. Although I'm sure they're good quality of course, and I do very much like the case shapes (clear Rolex identity, I feel), I'm not sure they project that kind of value.post #35607 of 483129/19/14 at 4:15ampost #35608 of 483129/19/14 at 4:50ampost #35609 of 483129/19/14 at 5:11amQuote:Originally Posted by nabilmust
this made me lol a little (lolal?)
Hilariously accurate.post #35610 of 483129/19/14 at 6:49am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 16 seconds ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 51 seconds ago
- › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 4 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 7 minutes ago
- › 5th Annual Thrift Thread Gift Exchange Unveiling 8 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 9 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 10 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...