or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2355  

post #35311 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

^ +1 That has to be one of the worst Rolexes I've ever seen.

Surprised you especially think that wraith.
post #35312 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Normally I think Rolexes look best on their bracelets with very few exceptions.  But I am absolutely enchanted by this combo.  It really does look perfect on a NATO, and you're right about the size suiting you.  Congratulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Like that EMart nod[1].gif

Thanks, guys. Can't wait to put this watch through its paces tonight on the race course. The other watch survived a deployment and many a race so this one has some catching up to do!
post #35313 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post


I will always be a bit of a mod at heart and I quite liked the "man from uncle" look about it. 

 

I get you - you can be Napoleon and I'll be Illya.  In that context it sounds kind of cool, but I think rather than having such a wild variation on an iconic design, maybe go for something that's inherently more quirky in itself, and also rooted in the period? A few pages back we were talking about Glashuette Original.  The Senator Sixties, or I think even better, the (square) Seventies, really has that vibe going on, and a bit of Cold War history to boot.  Just a thought.

post #35314 of 48312

15300 today, gents.

@tifosi gave me a guilt trip for not wearing it enough, yesterday.

post #35315 of 48312
Well that plan backfired. I was hoping you'd say "you're right. Here take it. I don't wear it enough".
post #35316 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Well that plan backfired. I was hoping you'd say "you're right. Here take it. I don't wear it enough".

Sorry to disappoint. Next time.

post #35317 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post
 

15300 today, gents.

@tifosi gave me a guilt trip for not wearing it enough, yesterday.

Nice to see your RO getting the wrist time it deserves!

post #35318 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

I get you - you can be Napoleon and I'll be Illya.  In that context it sounds kind of cool, but I think rather than having such a wild variation on an iconic design, maybe go for something that's inherently more quirky in itself, and also rooted in the period? A few pages back we were talking about Glashuette Original.  The Senator Sixties, or I think even better, the (square) Seventies, really has that vibe going on, and a bit of Cold War history to boot.  Just a thought.

Yeah that square one does the trick for that look.
post #35319 of 48312

Not to beat the Apple Watch to death but the 18kt gold version is solid gold with a proprietary gold that is 2x stronger.  Not that it makes it scratch resistant but interesting they would make a solid gold, dare I say disposable, watch in that it will be out of date from a tech stand point in 3 years?

 

The Rolex on the previous page does not look good.

 

That 15300 above looks amazing.  

post #35320 of 48312
My ceramic divers will eat the iWatch with gusto:

yte8yjuq.jpg

Close up for you mimo:

na4u8a3y.jpg

Also, F you for enabling this latest round. Love you too.
post #35321 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post

Yeah that square one does the trick for that look.

@ DavidReeves: if you are okay with Rolex in that size range, I would humbly suggest a vintage bubbleback.

Try to find an old Cali dial with some gorgeous patina, put it on cordovan or Italian leather strap, and you'll undoubtedly be the coolest guy on the street.
post #35322 of 48312
David: I think perhaps you meant one of these OPs?






Speaking of Rolex and the Apple watch: I sat through the entire presentation, and either I've been totally brainwashed, or I've come to the conclusion that Apple has done for the smart watch what Rolex has done for the mechanical wristwatch – and they've done it in a considerably shorter period of time. Whether the smart watch itself as a concept is doable now given limitations in battery technology is another issue entirely. If somebody makes an accessory that can be fitted to the Apple watch to take 20 mm spring bars, I'm buying one of the smaller ones. It will be on a NATO, on the other end of my wrist for my Sub. And then I'll probably get tired of it.
post #35323 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Normally I think Rolexes look best on their bracelets with very few exceptions.  But I am absolutely enchanted by this combo.  It really does look perfect on a NATO, and you're right about the size suiting you.  Congratulations.

Same feelings here. Aside from the Explorer and vintage models, I much prefer Rolexes on the original bracelets.

Regarding the Apple watch, I have nothing to say because I have not read or watched an iota of info on the thing.
post #35324 of 48312
Need some opinions, is the Reverso 1931 simply too big for me? Should I just give up trying to own this beautiful watch?


invcwy.jpg


Do keep in mind that the overhang is exaggerated because the strap is too long (I can't tighten it to fit my wrist but it's easy enough to buy a shorter and softer strap so that it wraps around my wrist better) and that the strap is stiff and kind of protrudes out instead of in towards the circumference of my wrist.
post #35325 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

Need some opinions, is the Reverso 1931 simply too big for me? Should I just give up trying to own this beautiful watch?


invcwy.jpg


Do keep in mind that the overhang is exaggerated because the strap is too long (I can't tighten it to fit my wrist but it's easy enough to buy a shorter and softer strap so that it wraps around my wrist better) and that the strap is stiff and kind of protrudes out instead of in towards the circumference of my wrist.

Personally, I'd say yes. Is that model bigger than the GT (see pic below, and i don't have very big wrists). To me the reverso needs to be a subtle watch. If it's too big it doesn't work. That's why I hated the Squadra.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)