or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2340  

post #35086 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
 

I thought Cordovan was the thing, but I have to say I am really starting to appreciate textured leathers.

 

Especially for boots.  Word.

post #35087 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

But for my part as a simple tyre-kicking caveman, I say this: that awkwardly-shaped chrono above is still very beautiful and distinctive to me, and I would rather like one. Is this wrong?

Simple (though very basic IWC owning) caveman chiming in: Since IWC abandoned the cursive script for print on their Portos, they haven't really done anything for me. Not that I don't think the Automatic looks nice (I feel bad for the cut numerals on the chrono), it's just that knowing how good they used to look, I'd never consider a new model.

My favorite is probably the limited Pisa edition, with it's handpainted dial:

picture?PictId={A7770C44-18D7-4937-A159-5506114088AB}&size=ORIG

satisfied.gif
post #35088 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

 

Especially for boots.  Word.


I'm a slow learner, but I'm learning.

post #35089 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Edit: Looking good, @HRoi
 !  How do you find the sleeve thing I mentioned?
Thanks, and you are exactly right! I had to fix my sleeve before taking the pic because it was caught under the watch laugh.gif
post #35090 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post


Now, for an actual TWAT related discussion, out of the two, I vastly prefer the 5227. I have never really been a huge fan of the first model. However, I think that, at its current price, the 5227 is far, far, far too expensive. Frilly has discussed this before, but you can get a lot more bang for your buck, even from Patek, by paying just a little bit more.

The 5227 is gorgeous, no doubt. But man, $37,000? Crikey.

Nuke, Dino & Frills: I take your point regarding value for money; part of why in my own acquisition plans I've concentrated on manufactures like Lange, AP or JLC, rather than on Patek. For 37K, you're entering Lange 1 territory; a watch that I simply love and a true modern icon. For a bit more, you're looking at an 1815 Chronograph (or, "baby" Dato). I suppose my question was more about the relative merits of the 5297 (sector dial or not) versus the 5227. I also wondered after watching the (promotional) videos how difficult it really was to design and craft the hunter's case back. A delightful anachronism, but is really that challenging to design and make?
post #35091 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

I suspect that is true of most "10s by celebrity standards".  

Here is another watch:


mo' (Click to show)






I like the retro simplicity of this, and the unusual not-quite-black dial really sets it off. I do rather wish they'd left it a bit smaller though. It's by no means huge by diver standards, but making it such a "modern" size takes something away from what it could have been imho: it's not quite consonant with the simplicity of everything else. Maybe that makes a good case for the original - they're around for about the same price.

Edit: Looking good, @HRoi
 !  How do you find the sleeve thing I mentioned?

I love the Fifty Fathoms. Always felt that it was underrated relative to the Subs and other higher-profile luxury divers. That grey smoky dial is neat.
post #35092 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Minus the makeup, airbrushing, and lighting, very few women, celebrities and non, are, in fact, 10s. I think its really come to the point that there is pretty much no such thing as as actual IRL 10 compared to what pictures and movies try and make us believe is a 10. No one in the world looks like that.

Now, I think there are plenty of women way hotter than Kate, but she is about what I expected IRL, and she is defo hot. Nice "goods" too. Take Eva Green as well, her IRL pics look nothing like what she looks like in 300 or Sin City 2, but all the same he has a bangin body.

Miranda Kerr and Adrianna Lima are legit smoke shows btw.
I don't fully agree, but I don't vehemently disagree either. Every woman looks different after makeup and photoshop, but Kate has a relatively huge variance compared to others. Even IRL, I'm sure we know lots of ladies who are just as lovely first thing in the morning and some that make you go...WTF??
post #35093 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

I don't fully agree, but I don't vehemently disagree either. Every woman looks different after makeup and photoshop, but Kate has a relatively huge variance compared to others. Even IRL, I'm sure we know lots of ladies who are just as lovely first thing in the morning and some that make you go...WTF??

True, but those are also crappy cell phone pics from "odd" angles with turrble lighting. I mean, some dont even show her face!

Ill bet in person she falls squarely between the leaked pics and the SI pics.
post #35094 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


Don't fret, Dino. These is always EG's Country Calf!

 

Very nice!  Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
 

Thank you sir.

 

I think so too, but it's probably because the demand just isn't there. At one point I thought Cordovan was the thing, but I have to say I am really starting to appreciate textured leathers more now. Prior to this one there was Scotched Grain Islay from Crockett and Jones, and the Country Calf on another Galway I have. I've since ordered a few more and I have an EG Dover in Mahogany Country Calf on order.  Textured heavy waxed leathers not only have usual purposes they are pretty fabulous.

Its always nice to have some variety in ones collection.  I like textured leathers both because of the appearance and because they seem to ward off or hide light scuffs or scratches far better than smooth leathers.  Perhaps the next time I'm in NYC , I'll have to pay a visit to Leffot !

post #35095 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

 

Very nice!  Thanks for the suggestion.

Its always nice to have some variety in ones collection.  I like textured leathers both because of the appearance and because they seem to ward off or hide light scuffs or scratches far better than smooth leathers.  Perhaps the next time I'm in NYC , I'll have to pay a visit to Leffot !

The great thing about Edward Green is that there are plenty of options. However this also means as good as Leffot selection maybe, they won't always have the one your looking for. Truth be known this is true for most Edwards Green retailers. However once you know your size you can always keep an eye on the main Edward Green internet retailers, and then of course there is always the option for a single or group MTO. Up to this point Skoaktiebolaget has been extremely Edward Green price friendly.

post #35096 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

Or you could get another maker to do something similar: I'd suggest Vass high boot based on the "Old English II" pattern for the quarter.  And the leather merchants still sell "zug" by the look of it. 

 

@Dino944 I know you're right.  I've seen them at 40% off too, which seems crazy on a recent and current model.  But it also seems attractive, if you look at it the other way!  Like you said though, a hell of a lot of attractive divers in that price range, even with the discount.

I'm a tough fit when it comes to boots, they are either great on my feet, or they feel like a torture device.  I'd love to try a pair of EG boots some time, as haven't done so yet.

 

Yes, they big discount can seem attractive.  However, I never buy a watch just because its a big discount, I have to love what I'm buying.  Don't get me wrong BP, makes a nice watch, but I don't love them.  When there are gigantic discounts, I often look at the product and think to myself, the AD is stuck with it... I'm not.  

 

A friend of mine used to buy a lot of watches if they had a big discount.  He basically amassed a small collection of watches that he tired of, and that had mediocre resale (even considering the huge discount) when he went to sell/trade them. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post

Nuke, Dino & Frills: I take your point regarding value for money; part of why in my own acquisition plans I've concentrated on manufactures like Lange, AP or JLC, rather than on Patek. For 37K, you're entering Lange 1 territory; a watch that I simply love and a true modern icon. For a bit more, you're looking at an 1815 Chronograph (or, "baby" Dato). I suppose my question was more about the relative merits of the 5297 (sector dial or not) versus the 5227. I also wondered after watching the (promotional) videos how difficult it really was to design and craft the hunter's case back. A delightful anachronism, but is really that challenging to design and make?

Dial for dial, I initially thought the sector dial was interesting when released, but then I found it tiresome.  IMHO, its trying too hard to look retro when it really isn't.  I prefer the dial of the 5227.

 

As for the difficulty of making a hunter's case back, I don't think its really a big deal.  I like that feature and think its really cool, but my understanding has always been that round cases are relatively easy to make.  Non-round cases are more difficult to make and more difficult to waterproof (due to corners and odd angles).  In addition, a company can throw almost any round movement into a round case, while a company must either make a movement that specifically fits a non-round case (be it a rectangular shaped movement, square, barrel shaped etc), or use a small round movement to fit in a non-round case.  Some videos showing how difficult things are to make often leave me thinking its more promotional entertainment and furthering the myth about how long it takes to make a watch and how much hand workmanship goes into making them (as we all know these things vary from company to company).   

post #35097 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
 

The great thing about Edward Green is that there are plenty of options. However this also means as good as Leffot selection maybe, they won't always have the one your looking for. Truth be known this is true for most Edwards Green retailers. However once you know your size you can always keep an eye on the main Edward Green internet retailers, and then of course there is always the option for a single or group MTO. Up to this point Skoaktiebolaget has been extremely Edward Green price friendly.

I think Leffot or visiting an Edward Green boutique in London are my best options.  If they don't fit, then they don't.  I have a tough time finding shoes that are comfortable and I would be very concerned about going the MTO route.  Over the years I've owned lots of shoes I thought were an ok fit in the store, and they never got more comfortable and I have given them away because I can't wear them.  With the cost of MTO, I'd be concerned about having a very costly pair of shoes that aren't quite comfortable and get little wear.  So I'm resigned to the idea if I try a pair at Leffot or the Boutique and they are comfortable then I'll buy them, if not, its not meant to be. 

post #35098 of 48312
Dino - I will happily accompany you to Leffot if you visit NYC. Even though your questionable tastes preclude any desire for Eva Green. smile.gif
post #35099 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

I think Leffot or visiting an Edward Green boutique in London are my best options.  If they don't fit, then they don't.  I have a tough time finding shoes that are comfortable and I would be very concerned about going the MTO route.  Over the years I've owned lots of shoes I thought were an ok fit in the store, and they never got more comfortable and I have given them away because I can't wear them.  With the cost of MTO, I'd be concerned about having a very costly pair of shoes that aren't quite comfortable and get little wear.  So I'm resigned to the idea if I try a pair at Leffot or the Boutique and they are comfortable then I'll buy them, if not, its not meant to be. 

Based on what you've just said I would absolute agree that a visit to a retailer or Edward Greens store is the right answer for you. I guess my only concern might be what they might have in stock at Leffots when I visit. Hopefully they may not have the leather or color your looking for, but maybe they would have a Galway in the right Last your looking for on hand. You may want to call prior to your visit.

post #35100 of 48312
Dino, where do you live? There are enough EG retailers scattered around that you may be able to visit one to at least dial in your size and then order direct or from an e-tailer to get exactly what you want
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)