^^^ I expect his English is considerably better than any of our Japanese.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on 9/24/16 at 11:42pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on 9/23/16 at 10:32am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2332post #34966 of 483128/29/14 at 5:07ampost #34967 of 483128/29/14 at 5:24ampost #34968 of 483128/29/14 at 6:31ampost #34969 of 483128/29/14 at 6:39ampost #34970 of 483128/29/14 at 7:19amQuote:
Good call - there are various versions of DeVille, or the Aqua Terra in that size too. The Speedy auto in 38mm case is this, I believe:
But to my modest tastes, a $3-4k + "beater" seems quite an investment, especially when we began the search at a standard Sinn i.e +/- $1000. So I have some other suggestions of that ilk:
Depending on how sporty you want it, I was quite impressed with Archimede's offerings. I'm told they're finished very well (they are owned by the German case maker, Ickler), and use solid ETA movements just like Sinn. But they're very reasonably priced. They do pilot watches of various guises in 36mm and 39mm sizes, in steel or also bronze if you want something individual:
I also really like their "Outdoor" sports watch: tough and waterproof but understated and again a sensible 39mm case. The simple one on a bracelet looks very versatile. And I love that it doesnt' look anything like a Rolex (well, except the bracelet, a bit):
Either of these models comes in at around $800. Seems like a lot of decent quality and functionality for the money, and individual without being too flashy.
Or, if you don't so much want a pilot or sports watch, how about two smaller offerings from Stowa? Again, solid ETA movements, modest case sizes (35-38mm), and well under a grand. Plus classic Bauhaus designs with genuine historical integrity. The Antea goes just north of four figures with a genuine croc strap (various choices) or mesh bracelet, or just under on leather with shipping:
This reproduction or a 1920s model, the "Partitio", is barely over $700, hand wind or auto, 37mm:
For what it's worth, I also like the Sinn 556 just fine. I believe Mr Belligero is also a fan, which scores points in my book.
But I'm just saying, for a daily wear watch at around $1k, there are some really elegant and interesting choices, especially if you add an extra strap or bracelet to change the feel now and then.post #34971 of 483128/29/14 at 8:21ampost #34972 of 483128/29/14 at 8:23amHmmm.... I do like the looks of that little hand-winder.
Is that a new offering from Stowa?
And what does "Partitio" mean, en englais?
EDIT: why even put that on the dial anyway...Stowa doesn't usually indicate model names IIRC.post #34973 of 483128/29/14 at 8:32ampost #34974 of 483128/29/14 at 8:34amI think the Partitio, logo and all, is a nod to the original, with the "partitioned" minute markers.
I would also take the Flieger or MO with delight, but at 40mm and 42mm respectively I think they are disqualified here - that's what led me to the Archimede, of which I've heard good reviews.
Edited by mimo - 8/29/14 at 1:26pmpost #34975 of 483128/29/14 at 8:36ampost #34976 of 483128/29/14 at 8:48amQuote:
At 40mm I figured it would fit just fine, it doesn't wear particularly large, but I suppose that's up to the OP. The MO is 41 FWIW. I like the Partitio a lot though, cool watch, but I'd likely make the jump to the NOMOS Club (though it's probably less versatile).post #34977 of 483128/29/14 at 10:59amQuote:
I think he's talking about the 3510.50.00 as seen here
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f67/omega-speedmaster-3510-50-a-561471.htmlpost #34978 of 483128/29/14 at 11:10ampost #34979 of 483128/29/14 at 11:26ampost #34980 of 483128/29/14 at 11:32am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › The Official RRL Thread 6 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 54 seconds ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton,... 2 minutes ago
- › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 6 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 11 minutes ago
- › NFL 2016-17 Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...