Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 3:20 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/17/17 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 1:23 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2304post #34546 of 483128/13/14 at 2:26pmpost #34547 of 483128/13/14 at 2:28pmpost #34548 of 483128/13/14 at 2:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by in stitches
Fun fact I learned today!
When you scratch/ding, and then polish, platinum, no metal is lost. The metal is just being displaced and replaced. Whereas with gold, you are losing a nominal amount of gold each time you polish it, to re-level the surface. Or so I was told by a very reliable source anyways.
What if this analysis was applicable to dieting, working out and fat loss? That no fat is ever lost, only displaced?
That would suck.post #34549 of 483128/13/14 at 3:25pmpost #34550 of 483128/13/14 at 5:42pmpost #34551 of 483128/13/14 at 6:16pmpost #34552 of 483128/13/14 at 10:56pmpost #34553 of 483128/14/14 at 12:42amQuote:Originally Posted by Dachshund
I have the Explorer II and I love it, although really only as a casual/weekend watch. I've worn it with a suit but it doesn't really go -it's a bit too chunky. It is a big watch, although not extreme. It's great for dress-down, has a real heft to it, and doesn't look like every other Rolex that everyone else in town has. That's what drew me to it. In fact, since I bought it two years ago I haven't seen a single other person wearing one. The GMT function is quite useful too if you travel, so it's also my go-to holiday watch.
I went with the black dial, but the white is nice too, and probably more legible. Black just appealed to me. I'll post you some wrist shots tomorrow.
A couple of wrist shots, as promised. Trying to demonstrate how it can also work with a French cuff, although it needs a more casual jacket.[IMG]post #34554 of 483128/14/14 at 1:16ampost #34555 of 483128/14/14 at 2:26amQuote:
Thanks for the shots. Looks like I'll stick with Pelagos or the Sub, the Explorer II seems a little too casual for me and I wouldn't mind a watch that is austere.post #34556 of 483128/14/14 at 3:35am
I'd note that the Pelagos, like the Explorer, is bigger than the Sub too. That makes it look more casual in my eyes.
Just a thought: how do you feel about the Explorer (1)? No diver-style bezel, but all the same distinctive Rolex style and versatility. Definitely suit-worthy, cheaper than the Sub too, and I think the current 39mm size is the perfect balance of modern, sporty and understated.post #34557 of 483128/14/14 at 5:21ampost #34558 of 483128/14/14 at 6:10ampost #34559 of 483128/14/14 at 6:16ampost #34560 of 483128/14/14 at 6:20amI was going to guess a vintage SL, but the leather and everything looks too new and you don't strike me as a vintage car guy. Then I was going to guess a new pimped out G Wagen, which seems to be more in line with what you drive, but I checked the pics online and thats not a G dashboard.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 seconds ago
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 50 seconds ago
- › The best value vendors I've found so far 1 minute ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 2 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 3 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 5 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 5 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...