or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2268  

post #34006 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
 

I wonder if the increase in MSRP for the new Speedy will partially increase prices for used ones, as there is now a greater price discrepancy. Im pretty sure the Speedy Pro or a Pelagos will be my next watch, Im just debating between the two. Either would be used. I think if I bought a used Speedy and liked it that much, I would eventually flip it for a new one to call my own and keep.


What prices are you seeing for it used?

post #34007 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post

I wonder if the increase in MSRP for the new Speedy will partially increase prices for used ones, as there is now a greater price discrepancy. Im pretty sure the Speedy Pro or a Pelagos will be my next watch, Im just debating between the two. Either would be used. I think if I bought a used Speedy and liked it that much, I would eventually flip it for a new one to call my own and keep.
I doubt it as it is a "different" watch with the upgraded bracelet.
post #34008 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post
 


What prices are you seeing for it used?

 

The lowest consistent prices I've seen seem to hover around the $2100 mark. There is the occasional banged up one, or one without a bracelet, that goes below that, but for around $2200 you can have a solid standard speedy pro

post #34009 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
 

I wonder if the increase in MSRP for the new Speedy will partially increase prices for used ones, as there is now a greater price discrepancy. Im pretty sure the Speedy Pro or a Pelagos will be my next watch, Im just debating between the two. Either would be used. I think if I bought a used Speedy and liked it that much, I would eventually flip it for a new one to call my own and keep.

Price increases can help a older watches retain value or over time go up.  However, it usually takes more than a single price increase of a $1,000 to have much effect on pre-owned models. Remember the new ones can still be bought at a discount, there us no supply shortage (new or used), and if the disparity between new vs. used isn't that significant, a good number of people may opt for new ones. Also, if there are still new old stock of the old one available, some people may go for those, seeing it as a bargain. Until the supply of those dries up. I doubt there will be an increase in the price of pre-owned ones and if there is it probably won't be by large amount. 

post #34010 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post

So many of the people on the thread seem to be trying to catch someone in a lie.

thats what some people on the internet live for, sadly.
post #34011 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
 

 

The lowest consistent prices I've seen seem to hover around the $2100 mark. There is the occasional banged up one, or one without a bracelet, that goes below that, but for around $2200 you can have a solid standard speedy pro


It's not uncommon to get a BNIB Speedy Pro at 30 to 35% off MSRP at an AD. So that's $2925 to $3150 for a 3570.50. I would just save a bit more and grab one from an AD rather than buy used to flip it in the future for a new one. I realize at those used prices that's another 33%, but in the long run, it just seems to make more sense. You may be able to find an even better deal with AD's looking to clear out the 3570.50 for the newer models.

post #34012 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


thats what some people on the internet live for, sadly.


Liar!

post #34013 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post


Liar!

befoe the comma or after?
post #34014 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

^^ I agree with all that. I keep everything too, I just don't care what it looks like or what it is constructed of.

I dunno, I would say that the nice box that the Royal Oak came in enhanced the my first AP experience. At least for the 10 minutes it was out before it went up on the shelf in the closet. LOL
post #34015 of 48312
Purchased a Omega Speedmaster Professional. Beautiful watch but I encountered an issue the first day. On my way home on the flight my watch stopped. I tapped it once and it started again. To test it again I wound the watch fully at midnight and it stopped again at 8:10AM. Since then I wound the watch at 9AM and it has worked fine (7:15PM right now).

Any thoughts?
post #34016 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLION View Post

Purchased a Omega Speedmaster Professional. Beautiful watch but I encountered an issue the first day. On my way home on the flight my watch stopped. I tapped it once and it started again. To test it again I wound the watch fully at midnight and it stopped again at 8:10AM. Since then I wound the watch at 9AM and it has worked fine (7:15PM right now).

Any thoughts?

Take it back

post #34017 of 48312
When you set it, did you move the hands counterclockwise?
post #34018 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post
 


It's not uncommon to get a BNIB Speedy Pro at 30 to 35% off MSRP at an AD. So that's $2925 to $3150 for a 3570.50. I would just save a bit more and grab one from an AD rather than buy used to flip it in the future for a new one. I realize at those used prices that's another 33%, but in the long run, it just seems to make more sense. You may be able to find an even better deal with AD's looking to clear out the 3570.50 for the newer models.

Second this. 30% off Omega MSRP from ADs is commonplace. 

post #34019 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

CMT, everything about that post is awesome.

I second that comment... nice CMT.
post #34020 of 48312

Not a speedy, but here's my vintage seamaster with a re-lumed dial... Picked up the strap from Aaron Faber in Midtown. Seems to be the only place I could walk into and buy a thinly padded calf strap here in nyc. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)