That's the reason I prefer the 35mm in the Orion. That movement is designed for a 33mm case IMO, looks good in a 35mm, and begins to make me pick nits at 38mm because of the reason you stated. Putting the date underneath it helps me forget about it a bit though, or at least it's less distracting to my eye.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 1:11 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 7:33 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2251post #33751 of 483127/17/14 at 10:06amQuote:post #33752 of 483127/17/14 at 10:14amQuote:Originally Posted by DLJr
I have been the buyer, I went with the original (3570). I like the domed hesalite more. I also like that I can easily get rid of the scratches on the hesalite. It definitely scratches much easier than sapphire, but it's a simple at home fix. The inscription on the 3573 also bugged me because it's wrong. All that said, there are plenty of people who have chosen the 3573 and loved it. I'm not sure there is a wrong choice, in fact both isn't even a bad choice. In the end, I didn't consider the price tag, I just went with what I preferred and that would be my recommendation after trying both side by side if possible.Quote:Originally Posted by dddrees
I couldn't resist the ability of being able to look at the movement.Quote:Originally Posted by bdeuce22
@Betelgeuse you really need to look at both (maybe you have already and i missed it). The Hesalite (3570) vs. sapphire (3573) has been and will forever be debated on. If this were me and it was going to be something I wore daily, I would probably opt for the sapphire due to its increased ruggedness. However, if this was going to be a part of a nice collection you want to build, Hesalite all the way. in fact, it's on my short list of "Next Watch"
Now I can see that. The one I saw was the Hesalite and what seriously caught my attention has the domed crystal (don't know if that's the propper term) it looks insane! In the other hand, I mean, no one watches the back part but even with my Hamilton's and Tissot I spend a few minutes watching it work.
Will need to do what you say, bdeuce!post #33753 of 483127/17/14 at 10:34ampost #33754 of 483127/17/14 at 10:49ampost #33755 of 483127/17/14 at 10:50amQuote:Very nice.Originally Posted by in stitches
all this talk of dial font made me have a look at my T-o-G dial, and then i went and took close ups of the font, and then i just kept snapping.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Offhand, I'd say that Rolex, Nomos and A. Lange und Söhne are currently doing the best job among the more well-known manufacturers with the use of type and lettering on their dial work, and each house has its own distinctive style. There are some smaller-production independents such as F. P. Journe and Greubel Forsey that have shown a great degree of skill and attention to detail in the field as well, but I'm sure I'm omitting a few.
On the other side, it's not just Patek that's slipping; most of the big players are surprisingly weak when it comes to this stuff. I've heard that work from watch manufacturers is drying up for certain Swiss design firms as the houses attempt to do it themselves — "pfft, I know how to use a computer" — and the results of this trend are not encouraging.post #33756 of 483127/17/14 at 10:59amQuote:That does rather look like a watch---Originally Posted by Keith T
@billsmith: this could actually get me killed here, but I'm going to suggest....a Tag.
Specifically given your parameters... on strap, <40mm, business casual, less than $2500 new (from a gray dealer such as Authentic Watches) ....how's about this Carrera? I would think it a decent "starter" watch for a college grad, class of '14.
Certainly the recipient would recognize the brand (how can you miss all the billboards and magazine ads?) And it's your basic all-rounder type of piece, but cheaper than say, an Aqua Terra.post #33757 of 483127/17/14 at 11:02amQuote:
This is one reason I mention the Tetra. It's the only Nomos with a balanced subdial in my opinion. If you want the round Nomos' I would go either for the 35mm versions or the date models. They way they add the date function to the movement is interesting in any case - it's a ring that goes around the outer edge of the movement, so as to not add thickness.post #33758 of 483127/17/14 at 11:27ampost #33759 of 483127/17/14 at 11:42ampost #33760 of 483127/17/14 at 11:49ampost #33761 of 483127/17/14 at 12:09pmQuote:
thanks, keith. they are all taken with the macro, i just paned out for the non uber close ups.
i do love it!
actually id say you need two. chocolate brown and a lighter brighter shade.post #33762 of 483127/17/14 at 12:55pmpost #33763 of 483127/17/14 at 1:05pmpost #33764 of 483127/17/14 at 1:06pmpost #33765 of 483127/17/14 at 1:22pmQuote:
The bezel with numbers rotates. Years ago the Turn-O-Graph was also known as the Thunderbird, and was affiliated with the US Air Force.Quote:
Yes, the bezel rotates.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Cars We Drive! 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › TEN TIES, FIVE JACKETS (10/5 THREAD): SPRING-SUMMER EDITION 2 minutes ago
- › What color pants can I wear with these? 2 minutes ago
- › FIRST POST - Suit Shopping this weekend - must buy! Need some guidance 2 minutes ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 4 minutes ago
- › Truman Boots 5 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Trump v. Clinton Debate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...