or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2242  

post #33616 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post
 

 

This is an old thread, but a friend of mine actually hated the thick lugs of the new GMTIIc so much that he took it to a trusted jeweler/watch service person and put it through, well, lug liposuction:

 

Yes, I remember that post.  I wasn't a fan of what your friend did to his GMTC.  But its his watch and if it makes him happy, that's what matters.

post #33617 of 48312
Re: lug liposuction.

Please don't try this at home, kids.

What a risky proposition!
post #33618 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Re: lug liposuction.

Please don't try this at home, kids.

What a risky proposition!
Sheeeew! I just grabbed my hacksaw. Glad I read this first!
post #33619 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I don't personally find it a "Professional watch" in the way that say their Sub/SD, Exs, GMTs, etc are, which look drastically different from a DJ.  However, I suppose they considered it that way because it was built with a specific purpose to be worn by people in work environments that have stronger than usual magnetic fields.  So it fits the theme of being for a particular purpose (much like the original Subs, Explorer 2s, GMTs etc.  I have an old catalog from the 1970s, and even back then the now vintage ref 1019 was marketed as a Professional Model and was sharing a page with GMTs and I believe manual wind Daytonas.   

sounds like we are on the same page.

i mean, rolex can call it whatever they want, but since to me its not a particularly profession/sporty model, i think the finishing is proper. ymmv i guess.
post #33620 of 48312
perhaps calling the milgauss a "professional" model is just because the earlier models were much more similar in design to the sporty models, and they just kept on calling it that, even though the design is now essentially a no date DJ?

like this one:


milgauss_htr_0003_620x10701324218362557Z9g?wid=840&hei=770&qlt=85
post #33621 of 48312

It was originally made to fulfill a profession application. Thing is, aren't almost all Rollies antimag now with the new barrel springs?

post #33622 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

It was originally made to fulfill a profession application. Thing is, aren't almost all Rollies antimag now with the new barrel springs?
I believe it still is. Hence why they kept the professional. I don't think a "normal" Rolex can withstand the magnetic fields that the Milgauss can.
post #33623 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

perhaps calling the milgauss a "professional" model is just because the earlier models were much more similar in design to the sporty models, and they just kept on calling it that, even though the design is now essentially a no date DJ?

like this one:
 

Only Rolex knows for sure.  However, that model was in production for a very short period.  The Vintage Milgauss most people know, and the ones I've seen in the catalogs were the 1019s which actually, looked like DJ, but with different dials and hands.  

 

Perhaps the polished vs. brushed is more an old school thing.  I'm a bit older than you and when I started buying Rolexs none of the SS professional models had polished lugs, or center links.  No worries, plenty of Rolies out there to satisfy everyone's taste. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


I believe it still is. Hence why they kept the professional. I don't think a "normal" Rolex can withstand the magnetic fields that the Milgauss can.

I've never really followed much about the actual anti-magnetic ratings of the Milguass (be it vintage or modern), but back in the late 70s and early 80s when the Milgauss 1019s were still available new, the most anti-magnetic watches Rolex made were actually the Oysterquartz models. 

post #33624 of 48312
old school, new school, any school is fine with me if it has rolex love. smile.gif

fwiw, i agree that i like all brushed on the sportier models for the most part, on this particular milgauss however, the polished works fine for me. i wonder what id think of one all brushed, hard to say as i have never seen one.
post #33625 of 48312
LOL @ tifosi

Also FWIW, the Pilot's watches offered by IWC have long claimed a "soft-iron inner case for protection against magnetic fields". I could use that as a thin excuse to post a Mark XVI pic, but I won't.

And Rolex was using the phrase "Scientist's Watch" whenever it re-issued the Milguass several years ago, although I don't think I've seen any recent marketing to that effect....


....which brings up today's "Fun With Numbers Nobody Cares About" (presented by Keith T).....

Number of years I worked in a laboratory: 7

Number of Rolexes seen in lab setting during that time (Milgauss, or other): ZERO
post #33626 of 48312
Here you go, courtesy of quick Google image search:



Pretty cool photo, if you axe me.
post #33627 of 48312
Hahahahahaha @Keith - so awesome.
post #33628 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


as i was playing around with it, i actually found that the sweeping of the lightning hand was actually the coolest part of the watch. the zigzag, as opposed to your regular straight second hand, had a different vibe as it rounded the watch dial. i loved it.

also, the blue dial/green crystal is my fave milgauss. i imagine it would likely be my next rolex, if i ever move on from the ToG. i could defo wear it daily.

Ironically I was torn between the green Milgauss and the ToG when I bought the ToG.

I still may end up getting one, eventually.

post #33629 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

And Rolex was using the phrase "Scientist's Watch" whenever it re-issued the Milguass several years ago, although I don't think I've seen any recent marketing to that effect....


....which brings up today's "Fun With Numbers Nobody Cares About" (presented by Keith T).....

Number of years I worked in a laboratory: 7

Number of Rolexes seen in lab setting during that time (Milgauss, or other): ZERO

The only person I ever knew that regularly had issues with a watch being magnetized was my wife.  She wears an automatic Cartier Tank Francaise and her watch became magnetized 3 times in a roughly 2 month period of time.  We figured out that the issue was her department was next to the MRI machines in the radiology Dept.  She briefly started looking at anti-magnetic watches, but then her department moved to a newer part of the hospital and no more issues...so she spent the watch $$$ on jewelry, no surprise there!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Here you go, courtesy of quick Google image search:


 

Cool photo, funny slogan.  What would the Explorer 2's slogan be..."The Caveman's Watch?"  

post #33630 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Here you go, courtesy of quick Google image search:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Pretty cool photo, if you axe me.

that photo is amazeballs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post

Ironically I was torn between the green Milgauss and the ToG when I bought the ToG.
I still may end up getting one, eventually.


we really are twinz!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)