Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 6:51 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 10:00 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2218post #33256 of 483127/2/14 at 8:29ampost #33257 of 483127/2/14 at 8:35ampost #33258 of 483127/2/14 at 8:40amFor some people maybe, but I loved that watch long before I even knew about the supply issue. I think its simply a fantastically designed watch and has always had a great movement.
Hallo, Mr. Advocate, nice to meet you too!post #33259 of 483127/2/14 at 8:41amQuote:
Tifosi, when you have a chance, read about Rolex 4130 movement.post #33260 of 483127/2/14 at 8:49amQuote:
Understood.post #33261 of 483127/2/14 at 8:52ampost #33262 of 483127/2/14 at 9:16amQuote:Did someone once suggest "chief enabler" for your custom title? I now support this movement.Quote:Thanks B. Not sure if you saw when I mentioned earlier that your post was the one that first got me interested in this watch. I was looking at an older Airking (w/ stick markers) or something similar before this as a versatile watch, but then I saw your post and read about the Sinn. Got hooked.Originally Posted by Belligero
A non-trendy watch from an honest maker is something I've regretted far less than most other unnecessary stuff. It just generally feels nice to have a decent pair of shoes on your feet and a quality watch on your wrist.
I'd be inclined to go for a brand-new one in your circumstances, maybe even straight from the source. Do you know anyone who will passing through Germany soon?
Of course, there's nothing wrong with a well-looked-after used one, either.
No one I know is going there soon, but I have a couple friends there. What's the adv. of getting it there? Would love to go myself, but it'd be more likely that I visit Taiwan, Singapore or HK this year, which might also be good options.post #33263 of 483127/2/14 at 9:22am
While we like to think otherwise, I've come to the conclusion that you can't escape the marketing image when assessing a watch. I realize that it's cockeyed on a technical level but it's also unavoidable.
You can appreciate the aesthetic and technical aspects of a Daytona, but if you choose to do so you'll have to deal with the baggage of its association with mafiosi and celebrity culture. With a Speedy, you get astronauts instead.post #33264 of 483127/2/14 at 10:09ampost #33265 of 483127/2/14 at 10:12ampost #33266 of 483127/2/14 at 10:54ampost #33267 of 483127/2/14 at 11:06ampost #33268 of 483127/2/14 at 11:10ampost #33269 of 483127/2/14 at 11:13ampost #33270 of 483127/2/14 at 11:23am
The twisted lugs of the Speedy are far more interesting and classy.
As for precious Daytonas, its Everose or bust:
If you are going to get a gold chronograph, might as well have it be one with character, presence, and history, like the rare Gold F1 Carreras:
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Roberto Ugolini, First pair! 2 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 2 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 3 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 4 minutes ago
- › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › Momotaro 7 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 8 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...