or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2218  

post #33256 of 48312
I think the minimal steel Daytona supply is certainly created hype, but I think the watch is a truly excellent watch. In any top 3 chronograph list imo.
post #33257 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

I think the minimal steel Daytona supply is certainly created hype, but I think the watch is a truly excellent watch. In any top 3 chronograph list imo.
You don't think the fabricated supply/demand aspect is one of the biggest reason people feel like they have to have it? Hence the reson it is in such lists? Devil's advocate, here...nice to meet you, haha.
post #33258 of 48312
For some people maybe, but I loved that watch long before I even knew about the supply issue. I think its simply a fantastically designed watch and has always had a great movement.

Hallo, Mr. Advocate, nice to meet you too!
post #33259 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

You don't think the fabricated supply/demand aspect is one of the biggest reason people feel like they have to have it? Hence the reson it is in such lists? Devil's advocate, here...nice to meet you, haha.

Tifosi, when you have a chance, read about Rolex 4130 movement. happy.gif
post #33260 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

For some people maybe, but I loved that watch long before I even knew about the supply issue. I think its simply a fantastically designed watch and has always had a great movement.

Hallo, Mr. Advocate, nice to meet you too!

Understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel28 View Post

Tifosi, when you have a chance, read about Rolex 4130 movement. happy.gif
I'm familiar with it...haha. wink.gif
post #33261 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Understood.
I'm familiar with it...haha. wink.gif


cheers.gif
post #33262 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Yes, go for new in honor of the big four oh!! Dive down the rabbit hole!!
smile.gif Did someone once suggest "chief enabler" for your custom title? I now support this movement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

A non-trendy watch from an honest maker is something I've regretted far less than most other unnecessary stuff. It just generally feels nice to have a decent pair of shoes on your feet and a quality watch on your wrist.

I'd be inclined to go for a brand-new one in your circumstances, maybe even straight from the source. Do you know anyone who will passing through Germany soon?

Of course, there's nothing wrong with a well-looked-after used one, either.
Thanks B. Not sure if you saw when I mentioned earlier that your post was the one that first got me interested in this watch. I was looking at an older Airking (w/ stick markers) or something similar before this as a versatile watch, but then I saw your post and read about the Sinn. Got hooked.

No one I know is going there soon, but I have a couple friends there. What's the adv. of getting it there? Would love to go myself, but it'd be more likely that I visit Taiwan, Singapore or HK this year, which might also be good options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

I think the minimal steel Daytona supply is certainly created hype, but I think the watch is a truly excellent watch. In any top 3 chronograph list imo.
What are the other two iyo? (Ay, do you see how you're sucking me in?)
post #33263 of 48312

While we like to think otherwise, I've come to the conclusion that you can't escape the marketing image when assessing a watch. I realize that it's cockeyed on a technical level but it's also unavoidable. 

 

You can appreciate the aesthetic and technical aspects of a Daytona, but if you choose to do so you'll have to deal with the baggage of its association with mafiosi and celebrity culture. With a Speedy, you get astronauts instead. 

post #33264 of 48312

If the speedy had a screw down crown and pushers, there would literally be no reason to go with the Daytona, as the Speedy is the markedly sharper looking and more robust of the two.

post #33265 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post

If the speedy had a screw down crown and pushers, there would literally be no reason to go with the Daytona, as the Speedy is the markedly sharper looking and more robust of the two.

you forgot to add Oyster case as well laugh.gif
post #33266 of 48312
I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at a sandwich dial.



post #33267 of 48312

What is all this talk of the Daytona somehow being unappealing?

 

post #33268 of 48312

Someone should talk to her about the excessive wear caused by that slackness.

post #33269 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

Someone should talk to her about the excessive wear caused by that slackness.

 

It is indeed somewhat loose.

 

post #33270 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel28 View Post


you forgot to add Oyster case as well laugh.gif

 

The twisted lugs of the Speedy are far more interesting and classy.

 

As for precious Daytonas, its Everose or bust:

 

 

 

 

If you are going to get a gold chronograph, might as well have it be one with character, presence, and history, like the rare Gold F1 Carreras:

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)