Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 9:56 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 10:21 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2182post #32716 of 483126/15/14 at 2:38pmpost #32717 of 483126/15/14 at 2:40pmpost #32718 of 483126/15/14 at 2:52pmpost #32719 of 483126/15/14 at 2:53pmpost #32720 of 483126/15/14 at 3:49pmQuote:
No worries Kid. I knew you weren't trying to "Get me." Yes, today divers rely on dive computers. My bosses friend dives and does salvage work and he almost never wears a watch anymore. In old photos from the 1980s it looks like he was wearing a Sub or Tudor Sub.Quote:Originally Posted by mimo
If I might go off on a tangent for a moment in proud TWAT tradition: today while walking on the beach, I slipped on a wet concrete ramp and cracked my head. My Orange Monster was unharmed, and might even have laughed. However, in my temporary confusion, I lost my venerable Oakley sunglasses.
These. Gone forever. I hope they found a loving owner.
Glad to hear you are ok, but that looks like a nasty fall! Although it sounds like it didn't knock any sense into you and cure you of this addiction to watches we all have have. I guess today was a bad day for sunglasses. My old, out of production favorite knock around Ray Bans sustained a terrible scuff/chip on the lense (no idea how it happened), and it's right in my field of vision.
My scalp almost hurts after seeing your photo! Hope your feeling better soon!post #32721 of 483126/15/14 at 4:11pmQuote:
This really underscores the absurdity of the depth-rating of so many contemporary dive watches. The manufacturer hype has people believing you need a 300m depth rating just to wear a watch safely in the rain.
I have an Archer dress watch that has no screw down crown, is rated to 50m and pressure tested by the manufacturer to 75m. If that watch remained water resistant while submerged at a pressure of 75m, I'm pretty sure it's not going to implode at the depth presented by an average swimming pool.post #32722 of 483126/15/14 at 4:22pmpost #32723 of 483126/15/14 at 5:15pmQuote:
ah, well, any online seller you might recommend, is there any difference other than the ceramic bezel?
Also in general how do you guys know which version of the 2500 movement it will be on (looking at 2220.80.00 specifically)? I was checking the Omega forum, seems like anything prior to 2500C have more issuespost #32724 of 483126/15/14 at 5:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
And those are very specifically my beach/exercise sunglasses. I don't actually wear them..with people. So something new like that is what's needed - i have others for civilised interaction. Anyway, they are gone in exchange for ten stitches. And you know what the most painful thing was? The sound of the doctor chewing gum while he shaved, cleaned and sewed up my head. No standards these days.
So come on then, I know you've had a thousand Pannies..is it an old friend returned, or something new and outrageous? Show! Show!
I think id lose my shit if my doctor was that unprofessional. I guess thats the kind of care you get across the pond. This is actually a panerai i've never owned!Quote:
some get it, some dont .... i doQuote:
funny....the guy i bought my AP from is a close friend/watch collector...he was wearing that when i bought from him. I didnt think id like the broze at all..but i gotta say its a VERY stunning watch. He had a custom gator strap made for it with bronze stitching that was just secksay.post #32725 of 483126/15/14 at 5:52pmMimo - glad to see you're okay buddy. That's a helluva spill! I gotta say I've never been a fan of bronze. It's also crazy what some owners do to get that false patina on the bronze (pass the ketchup?)
Exhibit A - saw the new Mark at our Omega boutique in DC - nice but not my cup of tea.
lumalik - congrats. More pics please
DS - Can't wait to see the new grabpost #32726 of 483126/15/14 at 7:38pmMimo, glad to hear you are ok! About glasses, I second @Cleav's proposition: Persol. I love the vintage look and the 649 which I think Cleav pictured are amazing. I just bought the 2931S in 53mm (polarized) and looking forward to get the 649 in 54mm. And for my eyewear I got the 3053. I love them because when I take them off there are no marks on my nose.post #32727 of 483126/15/14 at 7:49pmpost #32728 of 483126/15/14 at 9:54pmQuote:
Its really, really hard to find good vintage no-date dress watches above 36mm. I dont know if Omega made any, a lot of them I see have a date function (not a dress watch, in my eyes). Girard Perregaux and Longines did. I went with Longines.post #32729 of 483126/15/14 at 10:20pmpost #32730 of 483126/15/14 at 10:35pm
I can't vouch for the authenticity, but this seamaster should fit the bill
Hayward said it, you're not likely to find any vintage watch above 35mm.
Shouldn't dress watches be small? I find some hockey puck sized watches look ridiculous.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Reading thread 50 seconds ago
- › Daily CE Musings of Piob 54 seconds ago
- › Cars We Drive! 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 2 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 4 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 4 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 5 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...