Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Yesterday at 1:56 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 8:58 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2149post #32222 of 483125/30/14 at 10:51pm
Carrying on the Rolex/Tudor theme, I happened to stumble into the AD just the other day: curious to know if and when the SD4000 would arrive (ages!) and how it would compare to the Sub and DSSD, in person. Anyway, as it wasn't there, I made another comparison:
My simple point is this: the Tudors, I think, have tidier proportions than the Sub. Of course they're bigger, but even in proportion, the bracelet is slightly wider and the lugs shaped more gently into it. The Black Bay in particular, with its thinner bezel, really has a lovely sense of balance about it, whether or not you like the hands etc etc. Incidentally, I think the strap shades it for this model, but I can't wait to see the blue bezel on the bracelet when it arrives.
So like for like, I can see why someone would be weighing up carefully between the Pelagos and the Sub. The chunky size of the former is offset by the tapered lugs and general consonance, and that matte bezel has a certain utilitarian purpose about it. The thing is though, that the Pelagos isn't a Sub. Putting them on the wrist one after another, and the difference in weight and feel is just enormous. Suddenly, in reality, the Pelagos feels a little cheap. Which it is comparatively, but no longer empirically. It's pushing $5k list - classic mint used Sub money, and so I don't think the decision is that hard: if you want a Sub, get a Sub - used or new, in person it's just so much more. Or maybe the SD4000 is the best of both?post #32223 of 483125/30/14 at 10:57pmpost #32224 of 483125/31/14 at 7:31amQuote:Originally Posted by TheWraithQuote:
Excellent! Feel free to check my stuff out too.
You are literally TheWraith?
I f*ng worship you! Boom!
mimo - good stuff there!!!
P.S. I will never grow up. And judging by the blockbuster success of recent attempts by Hollywood to bring classic stories to the big screen, I'm not in the minority.post #32225 of 483125/31/14 at 7:32ampost #32226 of 483125/31/14 at 8:02ampost #32227 of 483125/31/14 at 9:55ampost #32228 of 483125/31/14 at 10:14amI am new to this thread, so just a general question, how do you tell if something on ebay is real?
Or I am better off finding some dealer in NYC (if I don't want to pay the price for brand new), anyone you guys would trust?post #32229 of 483125/31/14 at 10:21ampost #32230 of 483125/31/14 at 10:38ampost #32231 of 483125/31/14 at 11:41ampost #32232 of 483125/31/14 at 11:46amFrills! Are you sure the DSSD can handle such wet conditions! I am not sure it was made for that .
And in regards to your inquiry--I am pretty sure the fully graduated SD and DSSD bezels occurred in their most recent iterations. The SD of yore did not have a fully graduated bezel. However, the mil-subs of the 70s (5517) had a fully graduated bezel--or at least some of them. I believe this is where the inspiration was taken from.post #32233 of 483125/31/14 at 1:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by Newcomer
Frills! Are you sure the DSSD can handle such wet conditions! I am not sure it was made for that .
And in regards to your inquiry--I am pretty sure the fully graduated SD and DSSD bezels occurred in their most recent iterations. The SD of yore did not have a fully graduated bezel. However, the mil-subs of the 70s (5517) had a fully graduated bezel--or at least some of them. I believe this is where the inspiration was taken from.
It wasn't the clay or paint I was worried about. It was the water that I needed to wash out the stuff afterwards. I mean, I got my watch WET. And the rubber strap too. I'm just so fortunate that the DSSD has a 12,800 ft depth rating. It really came in handy today, especially after my two year old peed all over me ten minutes after I took the picture.
Thanks for the info! Hmm. Mil-Subs. Heard those were the cheap stuff.post #32234 of 483125/31/14 at 2:02pmpost #32235 of 483125/31/14 at 5:08pmQuote:
My secret identity has been compromsied...yes, I am The Wraith. My avatar is, in fact, a photo of myself
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 11 seconds ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 1 minute ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 17 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 5 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 10 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 16 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 16 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...