Luckily limited to a 1000.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 8:23 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 3:16 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2125post #31861 of 483125/15/14 at 10:03ampost #31862 of 483125/15/14 at 11:31ampost #31863 of 483125/15/14 at 12:37pmpost #31864 of 483125/15/14 at 12:47pmCursed Arial strikes again:
What a waste of an otherwise nice watch (though there's no way anybody's paying $10K for that). Patek isn't the only company that apparently needs to stop letting a computer person design their dials.post #31865 of 483125/15/14 at 12:49pmpost #31866 of 483125/15/14 at 12:53pmThe strap on my Stowa Antea KS I got in 2006 isn't aging too well. Can I just get any 18mm strap for this, or is it somehow proprietary? I'm not much of a watch guy, so pardon the stupid question.
Hot damn, this is a thousand dollar watch now. I didn't pay half that back then I don't think.post #31867 of 483125/15/14 at 1:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by Belligero
Cursed Arial strikes again:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
What a waste of an otherwise nice watch (though there's no way anybody's paying $10K for that). Patek isn't the only company that apparently needs to stop letting a computer person design their dials.
there is nothing about this dial that bothers me.post #31868 of 483125/15/14 at 1:26pmpost #31869 of 483125/15/14 at 1:28pmpost #31870 of 483125/15/14 at 1:45pmWell, I was at Wempe today getting my Nautilus resized. One link out. Guess my left wrist lost weight or something.
Since I am in my "OMG I LOVE SUBS!" phase I tried on the ref 116619LB - all white gold blue cerachrom bezel, blue dial Submariner:
(You can really see how much I use my Nautilus in this pic hahaha)
There are a few things that make me think twice about a WG Sub. First, the PCLs will make it a bit of a scratch magnet (which is okay with me, but I would prefer a brushed finish for a watch I think of as a "tool watch"). But that can easily be changed by a competent jeweler.
More than that, the blue dial just appears so flat especially beside the Nautilus. Would probably have much preferred the blue sunburst dial that Rolex puts on the two tone Sub (ref 116613).
The other thing is that right off the bat you can get this BNIB for 25 off MSRP of $36,850 - even before you begin negotiating. I've seen this offered as low as $23-$25K, which is close to dealer cost (37.5 off MSRP). Suspiciously low demand for this model - perhaps given its price point?
So, combined with the fact that it's close to impossible to get a blue dial Patek 5711 these days without paying full retail of $26,700, comparing these two pieces side by side doesn't seem to be too unfair - even though one is all steel and one is all white gold!
So, TWAT brethren - left or right? 😉
Also viewed this one. Cute little bugger. A bit much for $109K MSRP though:post #31871 of 483125/15/14 at 1:58pm
Three blue dials as different as can be...
The "smurf" Sub took a massive hit in perceived value when Dino announced publicly that he didn't like it. Since then, Rolex have been trying to give them away as quickly as possible to the non TWAT-aware.
I don't hate it, but if I wanted an impractical white gold Rolex, I'd rather have the new GMTII...and as Subs go, your steel no-date is still the true love.post #31872 of 483125/15/14 at 2:16pmCurious where you see the smurf with such a deep discount? It's usually thought of as a "grail" watch for Rolex fanboys, since they don't look outside the box. For those in the know, it's a powerful watch, for those not in the know, it's a fun, cool watch. I think it's great, and prefer it to the PP just because of the sportiness of it. I'm not feeling it w/ a fancy herringbone patterned shirt, for instance. I'd like it more with white. Go full-on smurf.post #31873 of 483125/15/14 at 2:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by SirGrotius
Curious where you see the smurf with such a deep discount? It's usually thought of as a "grail" watch for Rolex fanboys, since they don't look outside the box. For those in the know, it's a powerful watch, for those not in the know, it's a fun, cool watch. I think it's great, and prefer it to the PP just because of the sportiness of it. I'm not feeling it w/ a fancy herringbone patterned shirt, for instance. I'd like it more with white. Go full-on smurf.
I asked three of my dealers for their best price on the Smurf. Predictably Wempe offered the least - but they are an AD. My two other greys quoted 25 off right off the bat.
The fancy herringbone patterned shirt I was wearing went quite well with my schlubby Patek 5711.post #31874 of 483125/15/14 at 2:31pmThey Pateks are easily the star of that show. I love the blue perp cal. That is one of my favorites, such a beautiful watch.
Honestly, between a Nautilus and a Smurf, the Nautilus is a no-brainer for me. Even if they were the same price. I think the smurf looks silly and a bit childish, especially for a $35k toy. I really don't like the blue that Rolex uses, except for the Yachtmaster (which i actually really enjoy).
By the way, Belli and Dino, the discussion on the bracelet stretch was mind blowing. Never realized all of that. I took the term strech at face value.post #31875 of 483125/15/14 at 2:33pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 3 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 5 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 8 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 10 minutes ago
- › MC General Chat 10 minutes ago
- › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking... 12 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...