Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 10:05 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 12:32 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2099post #31471 of 483125/1/14 at 8:15ampost #31472 of 483125/1/14 at 8:18ampost #31473 of 483125/1/14 at 8:19ampost #31474 of 483125/1/14 at 8:48amQuote:Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Congratulations, and welcome! You definitely should get something to commemorate your success through that dreadful experience.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
TC, this looks fantastic!post #31475 of 483125/1/14 at 8:58ampost #31476 of 483125/1/14 at 9:03amQuote:
Do you mean the JLC Squadra Hometime? I like the look of it but it's almost 15mm thick (the Lange is a shade under 10mm) and feels very clunky on the wrist.post #31477 of 483125/1/14 at 9:07amQuote:Originally Posted by Dino944
I haven't tried one on in person, but the quality is top notch. My only issue with it, is a small detail. I'm not in love the with seconds hand being so large that it takes up most of the bottom have of the dial from the 6 position to the hands. I wish it were a tad smaller, more like the size of the second timezone hand. Or if one subdial was going to be larger, I'd have preferred the second timezone subdial to be at the bottom and be larger, since that is the one that I would need to look at to get information at a glance. The subdial for seconds is less important at a glance, so I'd have preferred it be the smaller dial at the 12 position. That's my only issue with the watch, and as mentioned, that's a model I haven't tried on. However, they make a top quality product and if you love it then go for it!
Yes, you've got a point about the size of the seconds hand dial. But if I am going to get a dual time zone watch then I cannot find one which I like better than the Lange. As I say, it's just the price that is slowing me down, both the outlay and the prospect of having something on my wrist worth more than my car. I'm sure I'll get over it though!post #31478 of 483125/1/14 at 9:12ampost #31479 of 483125/1/14 at 9:13ampost #31480 of 483125/1/14 at 9:19amQuote:Originally Posted by Winot
Yes, you've got a point about the size of the seconds hand dial. But if I am going to get a dual time zone watch then I cannot find one which I like better than the Lange. As I say, it's just the price that is slowing me down, both the outlay and the prospect of having something on my wrist worth more than my car. I'm sure I'll get over it though!
My issue with the subdials as mentioned, is just a small issue. If that is the design that you like and you will enjoy it, then that is all that matters. Ah...price is always a factor. If price weren't an issue on many items...I'd probably have more watches, and maybe more cars.
As for a watch being worth more than your car...I don't consider that a big deal. At times I've owned a watches that were worth more than my car. Unless you are talking a truly collectible car, most cars (even nice ones Lexus, BMW, MBs, etc) depreciate very quickly and can be worth a lot less than a nice watch. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide about the Lange.post #31481 of 483125/1/14 at 9:53ampost #31482 of 483125/1/14 at 10:18am
It's not as nice, but it's also no where near the price ($7-8K US). I prefer the JLC Master Geo to the Master Hometime, but it's a different look so I didn't suggest it. I'm not sure what you what your thought process is, what other watches you have, or how comfortable you are spending a certain amount, so ignore the following advice if it doesn't apply. If you are just after one watch, and you like the look and functionality of the Lange Dual Time, save and get that one (or maybe a Patek 5134, though I still prefer the Lange). But if the price makes you uncomfortable, or would prohibit you from having a slightly largely collection (if that is something you would want), I would look at something like the JLC Hometime as an alternative.post #31483 of 483125/1/14 at 11:04amQuote:Originally Posted by DLJr
It's not as nice, but it's also no where near the price ($7-8K US). I prefer the JLC Master Geo to the Master Hometime, but it's a different look so I didn't suggest it. I'm not sure what you what your thought process is, what other watches you have, or how comfortable you are spending a certain amount, so ignore the following advice if it doesn't apply. If you are just after one watch, and you like the look and functionality of the Lange Dual Time, save and get that one (or maybe a Patek 5134, though I still prefer the Lange). But if the price makes you uncomfortable, or would prohibit you from having a slightly largely collection (if that is something you would want), I would look at something like the JLC Hometime as an alternative.
Thanks for the useful input. I'd like a dual time zone watch and the Lange is the nicest I've seen. At the end of the day I can afford it (with a bit of saving) and so I suspect I will get it - I don't see the point of getting a No. 2 choice where I'm always be going to be thinking 'if only I'd got the Lange'.
My nervousness about price is more of a psychological barrier iykwim. Up until a year or so ago I'd not spent more than GBP 700 on a watch (I've got a Nomos Tetra, a Meistersinger and a 1962 Eternamatic). Then I splurged GBP 4500 on a Radiomir 337 I'd been eyeing for about a year. At the time it felt like a huge step - I couldn't imagine spending that much again any time soon. But the nervousness passed and the baseline was recailbrated. No doubt it will be again.post #31484 of 483125/1/14 at 11:45ampost #31485 of 483125/1/14 at 12:11pmHadn't read this in years and came across it today. Still funny and mostly true.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 36 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 36 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 37 seconds ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 3 minutes ago
- › Takahiro Miyashita The Soloist Natural Pigment-Dyed Work Jacket -... 3 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 5 minutes ago
- › Nigel Cabourn 9 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › The Current Popular Menswear Pieces
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway