or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2074  

post #31096 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post

LIAR
(IG)
Well.... forums. My name was taken. Bastards!
post #31097 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Yes I did, just arrived in the local AD that I accidentally fell into while passing.  It really is lovely.  To be quite honest, although of course PP is everything PP is, I've rarely felt any particular passion for any of them.  I admire them, but don't desire them in the same way I would some others.  But that one just hits a sweet spot for me.  I do have a thing for blue stuff I suppose, and that's something that projects so much better in person than in online renditions.  The 5140p is seriously desirable.  Perhaps that's rather obvious to most, but for me it's something new.

I couldn't agree more with this assessment. A thin watch is a necessity for me, and as lovely as in-house chronographs may be, they are undoubtedly on the thicker side. But the 5140p is absolutely gorgeous. It has a slim profile, has wonderful proportions... it is what PP embodies to me. Definitely one of my favorite PPs (if not my favorite).
post #31098 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post


The muscularity of the new watch...suits you. wink.gif

 

Hahah thanks academe!  Must admit it's chunkier than what I'm usually used to wearing... but then other people have dared to accuse Ms Upton of being relatively chunky too.  And she's beautiful.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

 

Yes I did, just arrived in the local AD that I accidentally fell into while passing.  It really is lovely.  To be quite honest, although of course PP is everything PP is, I've rarely felt any particular passion for any of them.  I admire them, but don't desire them in the same way I would some others.  But that one just hits a sweet spot for me.  I do have a thing for blue stuff I suppose, and that's something that projects so much better in person than in online renditions.  The 5140p is seriously desirable.  Perhaps that's rather obvious to most, but for me it's something new.

 

As for your Sub, the most obvious cliché is "definitive dive watch that is the model of perfect, understated yet iconic design, blended with uncompromising quality and practicality".  It might live in far grander company at Maison Frilly, but stands up proud as the best of its kind - and that's a watch I really desire: nothing showy, all substance.  Beautiful.

 

The 5140P is really lovely and though I prefer the font and display of the 3940, these are trivial aesthetic quibbles.  The blue dial is executed incredibly well, and if you put it on your wrist you're familiar with that eye-widening moment for me when I feel how such a slim watch carries that much heft - because of the platinum. 

 

Love this Sub.  Truly no frills.

post #31099 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

The name is Frills. No Frills.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
apaje3eg.jpg

Quite like.

e4yta5a4.jpg

Proportions seem okay.

y4u3ubu3.jpg

Outstanding! Every watch enthusiast should have one of these, it's just so classic and iconic. Congrats!
post #31100 of 48312
Way to go, frilly!

I always figured that you either worked at Wayne Enterprises, or Universal Exports.

Maybe it's both.
post #31101 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

The name is Frills. No Frills.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
apaje3eg.jpg

Quite like.

e4yta5a4.jpg

Proportions seem okay.

IMG
]

If there were a Rolex guide this would be a good example of how to rock a ND sub perfectly.
post #31102 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Way to go, frilly!

I always figured that you either worked at Wayne Enterprises, or Universal Exports.

Maybe it's both.

I am digging the new avatar Keith

:fistbump.gif
post #31103 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

I am digging the new avatar Keith

:fistbump.gif

LOL
post #31104 of 48312
Had to be done.
post #31105 of 48312

Rolex Sub.  nice watch but the only problem is that every schmo and their brother has one.

post #31106 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonX View Post
 

Rolex Sub.  nice watch but the only problem is that every schmo and their brother has one.

There is a reason for that.

There is a reason a Ford mustang has a cult following, and many people will get them.

Rolex Sub is a great tool watch, looks great, and bang for the buck, it has good value.

 

FWIW Frilly also has more than one watch that most people (99.999%) will never hold... let alone own. 

post #31107 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post





Of course, still a beautiful watch, but a bit less "pop". But perhaps contrast and "pop" are not what one wants?

Clearly, it's personal preference. I like silver/blue but not gold/blue. I'm on the fence about gold/black and I do like silver/black. There are thousands who don't agree with me.

I don't think all watches need to pop - in fact, I find too much pop = flashy, which I don't care for, especially.

And, to each his own.
post #31108 of 48312

Saw a lot of watches at an event over last last week. Nothing to fancy but...

 

Highlights: Black Dial ROC. I will leave this as the lone highlight. I couldn't stop looking at it. 

 

Lowlights: Rainbow Daytona, Diamond Daytona :facepalm:

 

Honorable Mentions: A few Subs, Deep Sea, ROO, Fifty Fathoms

 

I also almost ended up with a Slyde watch for free. Not sure what I would have done with it. 

post #31109 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonX View Post

Rolex Sub.  nice watch but the only problem is that every schmo and their brother has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post

There is a reason for that.
 

The reason is marketing - Rolex spends more on it than any other watch mfg.

Having said that, a Rolex is as close to cash as you can get - very easy to sell or trade -thanks to the marketing.
post #31110 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonX View Post

Rolex Sub.  nice watch but the only problem is that every schmo and their brother has one.

Who cares?! If it's a watch you like, then get one and wear one. I couldn't care less how many others might be wearing it. That's just silly!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)