or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2067  

post #30991 of 48312
Not the best lighting, but it's Reverso day again.

post #30992 of 48312

Fellas,

 

Sorry to disrupt the conversation, but I wanted to reach out to everyone and run an idea past some of you.

 

A couple of months ago, after reading this forum and several other blogs, I thought to myself, it would be cool if someone collected all the cool stories about how people came to be the owner of their watches and start a website chronicling them all. But, I wasn't sure if there was enough of those actual stories to make the project feasible, until yesterday. I have a co-worker who was walking by and told us how the Rolex Submariner she was wearing was actually found buried in her yard, after the previous owner lost it over 20 years ago. The details she went into and the fact that the watch still worked after being buried for so long reaffirmed my thoughts that a website like that could potentially be neat. Imagine if I included images of the watch to go along with the story..

 

Now, let me preface this by saying, I'm not looking to monetize this idea, but would rather be a pet project because, I think this type of thing is cool. 

 

Having said that, I've got two questions, 1) Does anyone know if a site like this already exists (I haven't found anything in my research), and 2) Do any of you all have an interesting story about how you came to be in possession of your watch and/or is there something interesting that makes it particularly special to you? If so, would you care to shoot me an email at chrslyp@aol.com?

 

Before I decide whether to pursue this or not, I wanted to see what people's thoughts were and whether or not you all had any stories for me. If you have an opinion, please feel free to share it in the forum or you can email it to me.

 

Thanks in advance.

post #30993 of 48312
It's a cool idea, but I wonder if it might be a bit too narrow a topic to really have a strong readership? Perhaps it might make a nice feature on an existing website or blog? Perhaps you could approach existing bloggers/WIS writers, rather than going solo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpotter View Post

Fellas,

Sorry to disrupt the conversation, but I wanted to reach out to everyone and run an idea past some of you.

A couple of months ago, after reading this forum and several other blogs, I thought to myself, it would be cool if someone collected all the cool stories about how people came to be the owner of their watches and start a website chronicling them all. But, I wasn't sure if there was enough of those actual stories to make the project feasible, until yesterday. I have a co-worker who was walking by and told us how the Rolex Submariner she was wearing was actually found buried in her yard, after the previous owner lost it over 20 years ago. The details she went into and the fact that the watch still worked after being buried for so long reaffirmed my thoughts that a website like that could potentially be neat. Imagine if I included images of the watch to go along with the story..

Now, let me preface this by saying, I'm not looking to monetize this idea, but would rather be a pet project because, I think this type of thing is cool. 

Having said that, I've got two questions, 1) Does anyone know if a site like this already exists (I haven't found anything in my research), and 2) Do any of you all have an interesting story about how you came to be in possession of your watch and/or is there something interesting that makes it particularly special to you? If so, would you care to shoot me an email at chrslyp@aol.com?

Before I decide whether to pursue this or not, I wanted to see what people's thoughts were and whether or not you all had any stories for me. If you have an opinion, please feel free to share it in the forum or you can email it to me.

Thanks in advance.
post #30994 of 48312

Today, I had a look at some things from Chronoswiss.  I expected to like them, and I did, although they're all quite big for dress watches.  What surprised me for the market I'm in is that the prices also seemed reasonable (normally we pay over the odds in this small town).  I guess they're getting good support to establish the brand here.  Check this out:

 

 

 

Sorry for the bright red reflection from my phone!  As you can see, a lot of detail in the finish on this 30 minute regulateur (the "Jubile" special edition, marking both thirty years of the company, and the fact that the regulateur is the model that really established them).  There's a gold one too.  This steel one is number 4 of 300 (see bottom of dial): I guessed that this is an attractive low number that is not suitable for more lucrative Asian markets!  I liked this watch: the fat onion crown, all that guilloche action, the chunky size, and yet quite a minimalist, Germanic design, which makes sense given their history.  Half close your eyes and it could be a GO.  Right up my alley, anyway.

 

 

 

No steel version of this Sirius small seconds in stock, so I checked out the gold version: again, quite impressive to look at, maybe even more so from the back, with those shiny gold chatons standing out.  Again, there's a real German influence I think: the larger case, the clean dial with the mix of Arabic numbers and dots, and the movement finishing all rather remind me of Nomos more than anything.  Which is not a bad thing.  The price on the steel models is similar to a Nomos Zurich with a bit of haggling.  I noticed on the gold model that the strap is superior butter-soft reptile, reminded me of Cartier's.

 

 

This Lunar Chronograph has a lot going on - maybe a little too much on the dial with all that guilloche work and the Arabic numbers too.  It's a pretty cool lump of steel, and has a nice quality feel about it.  I just wonder how long it would take to get used to reading it.  It reminds me a bit of Wurger's Longines PC.

 

Anyway, a taste of Chronoswiss, and it doesn't taste bad. I went in there to see if they had a steel regulateur.  They didn't, at least not the one I wanted to see, and I'd still like to look at it up close.  But that special edition will be on the inside of my eyelids when I go to sleep tonight.  And you all know what I mean. :)

post #30995 of 48312
Chronoswiss! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Today, I had a look at some things from Chronoswiss.  I expected to like them, and I did, although they're all quite big for dress watches.  What surprised me for the market I'm in is that the prices also seemed reasonable (normally we pay over the odds in this small town).  I guess they're getting good support to establish the brand here.  Check this out:







Sorry for the bright red reflection from my phone!  As you can see, a lot of detail in the finish on this 30 minute regulateur (the "Jubile" special edition, marking both thirty years of the company, and the fact that the regulateur is the model that really established them).  There's a gold one too.  This steel one is number 4 of 300 (see bottom of dial): I guessed that this is an attractive low number that is not suitable for more lucrative Asian markets!  I liked this watch: the fat onion crown, all that guilloche action, the chunky size, and yet quite a minimalist, Germanic design, which makes sense given their history.  Half close your eyes and it could be a GO.  Right up my alley, anyway.







No steel version of this Sirius small seconds in stock, so I checked out the gold version: again, quite impressive to look at, maybe even more so from the back, with those shiny gold chatons standing out.  Again, there's a real German influence I think: the larger case, the clean dial with the mix of Arabic numbers and dots, and the movement finishing all rather remind me of Nomos more than anything.  Which is not a bad thing.  The price on the steel models is similar to a Nomos Zurich with a bit of haggling.  I noticed on the gold model that the strap is superior butter-soft reptile, reminded me of Cartier's.






This Lunar Chronograph has a lot going on - maybe a little too much on the dial with all that guilloche work and the Arabic numbers too.  It's a pretty cool lump of steel, and has a nice quality feel about it.  I just wonder how long it would take to get used to reading it.  It reminds me a bit of Wurger's Longines PC.

Anyway, a taste of Chronoswiss, and it doesn't taste bad. I went in there to see if they had a steel regulateur.  They didn't, at least not the one I wanted to see, and I'd still like to look at it up close.  But that special edition will be on the inside of my eyelids when I go to sleep tonight.  And you all know what I mean. smile.gif

Fantastic Mimo, thanks for taking the time icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #30996 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post


If Rolex were to start making Titanium watches, then they need to figure how Seiko does it. They're the only manufacture that has been able to make luxury finished titanium watches.

 

Not sure what you mean by luxury finished titanium watches?  However, other brands such as Omega, IWC, and AP have all made watches out of Titanium, and all were well done and reasonably successful.  However, its my understanding that it takes specific tools/dies to make watches out of titanium because its rather difficult to work with.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonServiam View Post


Klokkebilder399-1.jpg

 

NS....I love your watch shrine!  Its great seeing these watch artifacts/accessories from the past.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpotter View Post

 

Before I decide whether to pursue this or not, I wanted to see what people's thoughts were and whether or not you all had any stories for me. If you have an opinion, please feel free to share it in the forum or you can email it to me.

 

Sound interesting, but I think it might be tough to find some accurate/true stories about people coming to own a particular watch that is interesting enough to compile into a websites.  

 

A few years back a book called "The Watch" by Gene Stone covered various brands and interviewed the owners to discover what got them interested in collecting, or got them interested in a particular brand.  That might be similar. 

post #30997 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Not sure what you mean by luxury finished titanium watches?  However, other brands such as Omega, IWC, and AP have all made watches out of Titanium, and all were well done and reasonably successful.  However, its my understanding that it takes specific tools/dies to make watches out of titanium because its rather difficult to work with.  

NS....I love your watch shrine!  Its great seeing these watch artifacts/accessories from the past.  

Sound interesting, but I think it might be tough to find some accurate/true stories about people coming to own a particular watch that is interesting enough to compile into a websites.  

A few years back a book called "The Watch" by Gene Stone covered various brands and interviewed the owners to discover what got them interested in collecting, or got them interested in a particular brand.  That might be similar. 

Thanks for the feedback. Your point about the potential lack of stories was my main concern.

We'll see what happens. Cheers.
post #30998 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

NS, with this Rolex smorgasbord, the AD memorabilia and your new addition too, I can only conclude that you are one of the most deeply disturbed TWATters here.  Man, I admire that.

I'll take that badge of honor and wear it proudly! Thanks guys fistbump.gif

You need a nice place to stash your watches when there is no more room left on your arms, you know?

DSC_1813.jpg
post #30999 of 48312
^ NS, great indeed nod[1].gif

So extensive not all in focus, fabulous!
post #31000 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Not sure what you mean by luxury finished titanium watches?  However, other brands such as Omega, IWC, and AP have all made watches out of Titanium, and all were well done and reasonably successful.  However, its my understanding that it takes specific tools/dies to make watches out of titanium because its rather difficult to work. 

Apart from the difficulty of working it, Ti tends to attract scratches and oxidize to a darker color over time. Most of the swiss makers have had to compromise by using a dull finish on their Ti. Seiko uses different types of coatings and surface-hardening on their Ti cases, depending on price point, which end up being harder than stainless. All I can truly say is that the Ti Seikos I've had look and wear better than the omega and Sinn Ti watches I've owned, and unlike the Pelagos and RO I've handled, have brighter finishes that look more like steel or platinum.

Speaking of which, here's the wrist shot with the hornback. Is it too much?

post #31001 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonServiam View Post

I'll take that badge of honor and wear it proudly! Thanks guys fistbump.gif

You need a nice place to stash your watches when there is no more room left on your arms, you know?

DSC_1813.jpg
Now that's a Sub man. cool.gif
post #31002 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

Speaking of which, here's the wrist shot with the hornback. Is it too much? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

+1. Not too much. The texture of the strap complements the strong, sharp lines in the watch. If I ever got a GS, this would be the strap I'd use - I've always thought the lines on the GS were too strong for a normal strap.


Edited by mezentius - 4/15/14 at 3:02pm
post #31003 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post


Apart from the difficulty of working it, Ti tends to attract scratches and oxidize to a darker color over time. Most of the swiss makers have had to compromise by using a dull finish on their Ti. Seiko uses different types of coatings and surface-hardening on their Ti cases, depending on price point, which end up being harder than stainless. All I can truly say is that the Ti Seikos I've had look and wear better than the omega and Sinn Ti watches I've owned, and unlike the Pelagos and RO I've handled, have brighter finishes that look more like steel or platinum.

Hi Hayward,

 

Thanks for clarifying your statement regarding Titanium.  I can't speak from experience in terms of handling a Ti Sinn or Ti Seiko.  However, I have handled IWCs, older Porsche Design watches(made by IWC), Omega Seamasters, and a RO all made of Ti.  Personally, aside from the lightness and strength of Ti, part of what l liked was both the texture and darker color.  IMHO, it added a different dimension to a sports watch in terms of feel (texture and less weight relative to ss), and then the color.  If one already has a bunch of white metal watches, I like the variety that dark gray adds to ones color choices.  The only time I might find having Ti resemble SS to be an advantage, would be if a company wanted to use Ti on a dress watch.  I think in gray it would be too sporty for a dress watch.  Anyway, just my 2 cents.  Thanks again though for clarifying regarding colors and coatings on Ti Seikos as I really hadn't taken note of that in the past. :cheers:

post #31004 of 48312
Mimo
I haven't looked at Chronoswiss in a while but used to be a fan. I certainly don't like their migration to such large cases though. I prefer the classic size but still like their aesthetic
post #31005 of 48312
As much as I'd like to contribute to clpotter's site, all my watch acquisition stories go like this.

See
Obsess
Research on Internet
Obsess
Look at disposable income
Obsess
Obsess
.
.
.
KOP!!!

(Poast on TWAT)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)