or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2042  

post #30616 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirsh View Post

What's wrong with it??

It's Swiss and tells the time.

Just because it cost £1,000 and not £50,000 doesn't make it an inferior watch - it services my needs perfectly!smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

To be polite, I think this is the wrong place for this discussion. Not trying to say your opinion isn't valid; rather that the whole point of this thread was to discuss mechanical time pieces from mid tier (Omega, Rolex, Panerai, etc) to upper tier (Patek, AP, VC, Lange, etc) makers. So unless you're trolling (4/1?), it's probably not worth your time trying to argue your point, as the posters in this thread (including myself) are unlikely to be persuaded.
post #30617 of 48312
what Academe said nod[1].gif


The scalloped "tank" Piaget is sweet although I'm not sure about the coat of arms at 12. From a distance it appears like it would be a Chinese character… but maybe that's just me because I have Chinese on the brain quite often. VC is a beaut as well!
post #30618 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

what Academe said nod[1].gif


The scalloped "tank" Piaget is sweet although I'm not sure about the coat of arms at 12. From a distance it appears like it would be a Chinese character… but maybe that's just me because I have Chinese on the brain quite often. VC is a beaut as well!

I love the two VCs. The Malte is the more affordable of the two (~USD30K); the Historiques Toledo (which I really prefer) is too expensive for mere mortals like I - probably over USD40K (all the Historiques watches, like the American 1921 are IMHO stratospherically priced).
post #30619 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

I'm not going to comment on jbarwick's post - not because of the aesthetics per se but because of the audacity of pricing and the association with LV. Oh wait, I guess I already commented. Hahah!

Instead I will simply post this picture of me on a train, and the challenge of taking a wrist shot given Amtrak's stability or lack of it:


2atejyza.jpg

Also I will post this picture since jbarwick reminded me of her:

ynuty9a2.jpg

Unsolicited plug: she is in Amsterdam today promoting her new movie with Cameron Diaz and Leslie Mann. That is all.

Beautiful photos and beautiful watch ... congratulations...and the girl is not bad!!:)

post #30620 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by robw View Post


Is that right? 15k for a perpetual calendar in steel is a pretty solid deal, I'd say. This one give you an exclusive in house movement, 7 day reserve so you if you don't wear it a few days you don't have to worry about the hassle of re-setting it and all adjustable with the crown if you do.

Not to mention that it is just a beautiful watch, IMO.

 

I saw one sneak pre-Basel pic, and it looks very different to the other perpetual calendars.  Very lovely.  And I am wondering if I misheard the price!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post


To be polite, I think this is the wrong place for this discussion. Not trying to say your opinion isn't valid; rather that the whole point of this thread was to discuss mechanical time pieces from mid tier (Omega, Rolex, Panerai, etc) to upper tier (Patek, AP, VC, Lange, etc) makers. So unless you're trolling (4/1?), it's probably not worth your time trying to argue your point, as the posters in this thread (including myself) are unlikely to be persuaded.

 

I don't think it's even a price thing: we've done Orange Monsters and sub$100 Seiko 5s, all sorts of very accessible vintage pieces, and other economical makers like Junghans, Stowa, Hamilton, Tissot....although of course it's the pricier stuff that gets everyone excited.

 

No, I think the issue here is that it's a fucking horror to look at. :)

post #30621 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post

To be polite, I think this is the wrong place for this discussion. Not trying to say your opinion isn't valid; rather that the whole point of this thread was to discuss mechanical time pieces from mid tier (Omega, Rolex, Panerai, etc) to upper tier (Patek, AP, VC, Lange, etc) makers. So unless you're trolling (4/1?), it's probably not worth your time trying to argue your point, as the posters in this thread (including myself) are unlikely to be persuaded.

I don't think it's even a price thing: we've done Orange Monsters and sub$100 Seiko 5s, all sorts of very accessible vintage pieces, and other economical makers like Junghans, Stowa, Hamilton, Tissot....although of course it's the pricier stuff that gets everyone excited.

No, I think the issue here is that it's a fucking horror to look at. smile.gif

Even Gianni Cerutti didn't post his usual beautiful comments, though he did like the post facepalm.gif
post #30622 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

I saw one sneak pre-Basel pic, and it looks very different to the other perpetual calendars.  Very lovely.  And I am wondering if I misheard the price!


I don't think it's even a price thing: we've done Orange Monsters and sub$100 Seiko 5s, all sorts of very accessible vintage pieces, and other economical makers like Junghans, Stowa, Hamilton, Tissot....although of course it's the pricier stuff that gets everyone excited.

No, I think the issue here is that it's a fucking horror to look at. smile.gif

True; I was going by what seems to generate the most chatter and the overall tone of the conversation. Except for the Oysterquartz, most of the discussion has been of mechanical watches because this is what people put value on in this thread. I think we'd have been more interested to discuss the Blancpain and not the Technomarine, even if it did have high service costs!
post #30623 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post


I stand corrected re: watch shape. I was struggling for the right description, but "rectangular case with scalloped sides" sounds better. biggrin.gif I like rectangular and square watches and like this rendition very much. The model I saw at the watch dealers was very finely finished, with a mixture of brushed and polished surfaces, nice curves around the edges of the case, etc. Definitely a strong contender if you were looking for something with this form, but already had something like a Reverso (as I have)... Would love to see how this stacks up in person relative to my current favourite square/rectangular watches, like the VC Malte Small Seconds:



...Or VC Historiques Toledo 1951:



While the movement of the Piaget may not be as finally finished as the VCs, from what I've seen, the case work does give VC a run for it's money. Too bad there's no Piaget or VC dealer close to home!

Even as a VC owner and fan, I'm not sure I'd say VC's finish exceeds that of Piaget.  In some instances, I'd say Piaget's finish is nicer than on some VCs.  That being said, they are all superb watches.  I haven't actually looked at the new VC Malte small seconds in person, so I can't really say too much about its movement at this point. I would definitely give that watch some serious consideration...although, on this piece I really would have been all over this piece if they had made the movement either rectangular or tonneau shaped rather than just putting a round movement in it.  Still that's a very small matter and most companies do that.  I think the Malte small seconds gives you not only a beautiful dress watch, but it adds some diversity both in terms of brand and case shape to your collection.  If you already have a rectangular watch, a proper tonneau case might be a great piece for you.  

 

I love the case of the Toledo, but I am a tad disappointed with the dial.  The use of sticks with Arabics is signficantly less elegant that previous versions of this time only watch.  It previously was a manual wind back in the early 1990s (later it became an automatic with a seconds hand and a date window, I didn't like the date window), but the markers used to be applied gold Romans and pyramids which seemed a bit more elegant.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirsh View Post


What's wrong with it??

It's Swiss and tells the time.

Just because it cost £1,000 and not £50,000 doesn't make it an inferior watch - it services my needs perfectly!smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

There isn't anything wrong with it.  If it fits your needs then that is what matters.  Wanting to convince people that it is as good as a Blancpain based on its lower cost, simply isn't going to work.  Your rational seems a bit like saying that a Volvo is a good as an Aston Martin because it costs less to service, and gets you from point A to point B.  Sure both will get you to the same place but one uses top quality materials, is engineered for a greater degree of performance, and is more exclusive.   The fact that your current watch is Swiss doesn't really mean anything.  There are average and inexpensive Swiss watches also. 

 

As for it not costing a fortune to service, that's because there really isn't anything of substance inside. Sure a Rolex, a Blancpain or other higher end brand often costs more to service because there is usually a real movement that must be taken apart, cleaned, reassembled, etc.  Again, nothing wrong with your watch choice, its just more of a fashion watch rather than what tends to interest people on this forum. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post


I love the two VCs. The Malte is the more affordable of the two (~USD30K); the Historiques Toledo (which I really prefer) is too expensive for mere mortals like I - probably over USD40K (all the Historiques watches, like the American 1921 are IMHO stratospherically priced).

Its actually, surprising how expensive their Historiques pieces have become.  Years ago, they generally ranged in price from $5,000-12,000 with just a few more complicated piece closer to $20K.  I guess they really are gunning to be priced more like Pateks.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post


Even Gianni Cerutti didn't post his usual beautiful comments, though he did like the post facepalm.gif

:rotflmao:   Very true!  I got a good laugh from your comment. Thanks.

post #30624 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

 

There isn't anything wrong with it.  If it fits your needs then that is what matters.  Wanting to convince people that it is as good as a Blancpain based on its lower cost, simply isn't going to work.  Your rational seems a bit like saying that a Volvo is a good as an Aston Martin because it costs less to service, and gets you from point A to point B.  Sure both will get you to the same place but one uses top quality materials, is engineered for a greater degree of performance, and is more exclusive.   The fact that your current watch is Swiss doesn't really mean anything.  There are average and inexpensive Swiss watches also. 

 

I had a laugh at the Volvo/Aston compare due to the famous swapping of parts when they were part of the same company :rotflmao:

 

 

post #30625 of 48312

It has arrived! The watch itself is beautiful and keeping good time. The movement is soooooo smooth to wind, I don't have much experience with high end pieces but compared to the basic JLC Reverso classic I tried on at my AD this movement is much smoother. Feels much more like a classic Cartier tank than I'd expected, I assumed it might feel a bit sportier like the Reverso but nope this is pure dress watch.

 

 

Warning: Griping! (Click to show)
The one downside is the seller didn't disclose that the band was incorrectly sized :fu: 19mm when the Basculante needs a 20mm, to make matters worse the 19mm band has a 16mm Cartier deployment. So, being skeptical, I immediately called my Cartier AD to  have them authenticate via the serial number with Cartier. After a day or two of anxious waiting the all clear came back, Cartier says it's their baby. But now I'm forced with the decision to buy a new strap and deployment to fit for an additional $800 or use this one and be slightly bothered by the 1mm discrepancy...
post #30626 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZhammer View Post
 

It has arrived! The watch itself is beautiful and keeping good time. The movement is soooooo smooth to wind, I don't have much experience with high end pieces but compared to the basic JLC Reverso classic I tried on at my AD this movement is much smoother. Feels much more like a classic Cartier tank than I'd expected, I assumed it might feel a bit sportier like the Reverso but nope this is pure dress watch.

 

 

 

Warning: Griping! (Click to show)
The one downside is the seller didn't disclose that the band was incorrectly sized :fu: 19mm when the Basculante needs a 20mm, to make matters

Congrats, the Tank Basculante is a very cool watch, and the F.Piguet movement inside is very nice.  Enjoy your new Tank, it looks great !

post #30627 of 48312
Congrats, MZ. Very elegant Cartier
post #30628 of 48312
+1 … Looks great MZ!
post #30629 of 48312
Very cool MZ! Wear it in good health!
post #30630 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZhammer View Post

It has arrived! The watch itself is beautiful and keeping good time. The movement is soooooo smooth to wind, I don't have much experience with high end pieces but compared to the basic JLC Reverso classic I tried on at my AD this movement is much smoother. Feels much more like a classic Cartier tank than I'd expected, I assumed it might feel a bit sportier like the Reverso but nope this is pure dress watch.





Warning: Griping! (Click to show)
The one downside is the seller didn't disclose that the band was incorrectly sized ffffuuuu.gif 19mm when the Basculante needs a 20mm, to make matters worse the 19mm band has a 16mm Cartier deployment. So, being skeptical, I immediately called my Cartier AD to  have them authenticate via the serial number with Cartier. After a day or two of anxious waiting the all clear came back, Cartier says it's their baby. But now I'm forced with the decision to buy a new strap and deployment to fit for an additional $800 or use this one and be slightly bothered by the 1mm discrepancy...

Congratulations. Very nice watch.

FWIW, you can but a very nice aftermarket 20/16 strap and keep your deployant. You can buy a camille fournet or have one made by ABP Paris. All top quality. While not cheap, you still save some $. There are even less expensive options out there as well.

Enjoy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)