or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2026  

post #30376 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I agree its nice to see the return of the 40mm SD.  I doubt its release will affect the used prices of the DSSDs.  The DSSDs are considerably larger and there is a distinct market for people that want larger size Rolexes.  Someone who wants the over 40mm size of the DSSD (43mm), isn't likely to be interested in the 40mm SD so I don't see it as a less costly substitute.  
I agree. Plus you can only dive 4,000ft with the SD and not 36,000ft like the SDDS. They attract two different buyers... rotflmao.gif
post #30377 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post



I agree. Plus you can only dive 4,000ft with the SD and not 36,000ft like the SDDS. They attract two different buyers... rotflmao.gif

 



Classic ;-)
post #30378 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post


Really? Can you expand on why you think so? The SD is the only one that really peaked my interest in their sport range. Then again, I just don't get Rolex's precious metal sports models.

As far as Tudor, I much prefer the blue bezel in theory. I thought the maroon looked great until I tried it on and it did nothing for me. It's not on a to buy list, but I think I prefer the look.

Of course. For me, I have been clamoring for a release of a modern Pepsi for a while. At least this year we are seeing that Rolex is willing to go backwards to one of their older models.

Also, I think that the Sea Dweller is a great release. Date, no cyclops, and the lugs do not look nearly as fat.

The blue Milgauss is also pretty cool, although it is not something that I would pick up.

As for Tudor, I think the Ranger is a nice addition (although about 4mm too large, but I digress), and I think that the blue black bay is a handsome model. I am rooting for Tudor, I think that they have a lot of potential.
post #30379 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post


Of course. For me, I have been clamoring for a release of a modern Pepsi for a while. At least this year we are seeing that Rolex is willing to go backwards to one of their older models.

Also, I think that the Sea Dweller is a great release. Date, no cyclops, and the lugs do not look nearly as fat.

The blue Milgauss is also pretty cool, although it is not something that I would pick up.

As for Tudor, I think the Ranger is a nice addition (although about 4mm too large, but I digress), and I think that the blue black bay is a handsome model. I am rooting for Tudor, I think that they have a lot of potential.


I guess I assumed a Pepsi would be released and was disappointed to see it in WG, so that was maybe a case of differing expectations. The Milgauss is too cutesy for me with the blue, gives me the same feel as some of Omega's blue and orange models. Even when looking at it as a model that I know isn't for me, I just don't think it's a winner. We agree on the SD. I don't think Rolex failed, but I don't think they killed it either.

 

The Ranger is just far too big IMO to be exciting in any way.

post #30380 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

The Pepsi looks great and don't know why someone would throw it on steel other than weight.  The SD looks good and the Milgauss will always have a niche who love it.  
Aside from weight (and current precious-metal Rolex sports models are beastly), the big disadvantage of 18K is that it's just too damn soft for what this type of watch should be expected to handle. The GMT is about as good as it gets in a reliable all-arounder; for a normal person who just wants to buy one quality watch and wear it daily as part of a reasonably-active life, it would be great to have the option of the original blue/red bezel in steel.

Of course, this WG model is still an insanely desirable watch. Precious metal for a design with its origins in travel doesn't cause me nearly the cognitive dissonance that it would in a diver's model, and WG could actually work on my pigmentally-challenged wrist. But the classic GMT colours deserve a steel version — all-brushed to tone down the flash, please!
post #30381 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

all-brushed to tone down the flash, please!

Pretty please!

post #30382 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post


Aside from weight (and current precious-metal Rolex sports models are beastly), the big disadvantage of 18K is that it's just too damn soft for what this type of watch should be expected to handle. The GMT is about as good as it gets in a reliable all-arounder; for a normal person who just wants to buy one quality watch and wear it daily as part of a reasonably-active life, it would be great to have the option of the original blue/red bezel in steel.

Of course, this WG model is still an insanely desirable watch. Precious metal for a design with its origins in travel doesn't cause me nearly the cognitive dissonance that it would in a diver's model, and WG could actually work on my pigmentally-challenged wrist. But the classic GMT colours deserve a steel version — all-brushed to tone down the flash, please!

 

Agreed.  My point was that I doubt someone would buy the WG version and throw the bezel on a steel bracelet.  I mean if you want to create a $40K plus steel GMT then by all means do it.

post #30383 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

Agreed.  My point was that I doubt someone would buy the WG version and throw the bezel on a steel bracelet.  I mean if you want to create a $40K plus steel GMT then by all means do it.
Ah yes, fair point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Also, I think that the Sea Dweller is a great release. Date, no cyclops, and the lugs do not look nearly as fat.

anyone notice?
also has satin (matte) dial;
best news of the day
post #30384 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

Ah yes, fair point.


anyone notice?
Sea-Dweller has satin dial;
best news of the day
I'm not 100% sure that isn't an optical illusion yet. But that would be nice!
post #30385 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

I'm not 100% sure that isn't an optical illusion yet. But that would be nice!
post #30386 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

LOL. Didn't read that! Thanks.
post #30387 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


I agree. Plus you can only dive 4,000ft with the SD and not 36,000ft like the SDDS. They attract two different buyers... rotflmao.gif

 

Wait. What?  Well, now that's a deal killer for the kind of Dark Knight operations I plan to put this baby through.

 

Oh well. Moving on...

post #30388 of 48312
i really really like all 3 of those new rolex models. time to sell my house.
post #30389 of 48312

Interesting. Last time I bought a new Rolex it was an SD. Ended up flipping it as I didn't like the glossy dial, small wg markers etc. 

 

Looks like I was several years too early. The SD actually looks sleeker than the Sub now.

post #30390 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


I agree. Plus you can only dive 4,000ft with the SD and not 36,000ft like the SDDS. They attract two different buyers... rotflmao.gif

 

:rotflmao:  Excellent point!  I hadn't thought of that.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post


Ah yes, fair point.
anyone notice?
also has satin (matte) dial;
best news of the day

Very cool!  I hadn't noticed the satin/matte dial.  That's a nice change. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i really really like all 3 of those new rolex models. time to sell my house.

Good idea...although I don't think the wife will go for it. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)