or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2018  

post #30256 of 48312
Frills
I would be tempted...
post #30257 of 48312

I like what Dino said.  I stayed away from comment but the fan boi in me loves the crown and can appreciate other brands.  Will I branch out?  Most certainly but I won't ignore any specific brand because certain people wear them.  If Hublot made something interesting in my price point I would check them out.

post #30258 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post
 

I make no claim to be completely free of vanity.

 

My philosophy on personal aesthetics, which we won't get too hung up on here, prioritizes my own enjoyment of an item above that of those around me, but not to the point of excluding external appreciation. Secondly, I find no small pleasure in being able to drive external appreciation without brand recognition.

 

Perhaps that will clarify my remarks.

 

And yes, I've seen more people than that one gentleman (who actually turned out to be the most entertaining conversation at the party) wearing Rolexes, quite a broad spectrum really. Perhaps a bit too broad....

Sorry but that line about "Curiously impressing" people almost made me laugh out loud.  Thank you for the insight into your choices.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post
 

I like what Dino said.  I stayed away from comment but the fan boi in me loves the crown and can appreciate other brands.  Will I branch out?  Most certainly but I won't ignore any specific brand because certain people wear them.  If Hublot made something interesting in my price point I would check them out.

Thanks JB.  People that really like watches can appreciate a variety of brands. They buy what they like and don't worry about what others are wearing or nonsensical stereotypes.  It goes hand in hand with having your own sense of style and are not merely following trends.   As for Rolex,  I like Rolex for what Rolex offers.  They never look dated, and they make a rugged watch that can take whatever a person can dish out.  They stay true to their identity and their designs. Its not designed or intended to be Patek or VC .  Quite frankly I wouldn't want it to be, because then I probably couldn't wear it for the same level of rugged activities.  By the same token, I don't want Patek  or VC to try to compete with or be Rolex, IWC, or Breitling.  IMHO there is a lot of room for diversity in most really good collections. 

post #30259 of 48312
Hurrah ^ Good point/s well made nod[1].gif
post #30260 of 48312
PP should really offer leather as an option for the Aquanaut. The Aquanaut on a bracelet looks as bad as a Nautilus does on leather.
post #30261 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

PP should really offer leather as an option for the Aquanaut. The Aquanaut on a bracelet looks as bad as a Nautilus does on leather.

I don't think Nautilus models on leather straps necessarily look bad. Even a thick 5980R on a strap looked quite good to me when I tried it on - even though I'm not hungering for one.

I guess I wanted to find out why you think an Aquanaut would necessarily look better on a leather strap if you think a Nautilus looks bad on one. I don't follow.
post #30262 of 48312

^^^^ Right. I must be an odd man to have gotten some thrill out of my first nice watch getting glances.

 

And hey, I have nothing technically against Rolex Per Se. I think they're fantastic watches. I just have a thing against brand recognition. As far as "Style" is concerned, I consider it a crutch. But, as they say, you can't account for taste and everyone's motivations are their own.

post #30263 of 48312
I don't know where you are going with this. If you have a problem with brand recognition as you say, an Omega was NOT the watch to get.

After Rolex, Omega may be the largest/most well known Swiss watch brand, and it has been making watches for a long time. Then you have recent several Olympics sponsorships Including Sochi, the James Bond movies, celebrity endorsements I have seen in any number of magazines and so forth. There are other brands that are way more under the radar you could have chosen.

You can enjoy your watch without all the pontificating to justify why. We are all friends here, I think.






Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

^^^^ Right. I must be an odd man to have gotten some thrill out of my first nice watch getting glances.

And hey, I have nothing technically against Rolex Per Se. I think they're fantastic watches. I just have a thing against brand recognition. As far as "Style" is concerned, I consider it a crutch. But, as they say, you can't account for taste and everyone's motivations are their own.
post #30264 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post
 

^^^^ Right. I must be an odd man to have gotten some thrill out of my first nice watch getting glances.

 

And hey, I have nothing technically against Rolex Per Se. I think they're fantastic watches. I just have a thing against brand recognition. As far as "Style" is concerned, I consider it a crutch. But, as they say, you can't account for taste and everyone's motivations are their own.

Perhaps its what you expressed in your earlier post.  Yes you shared your enjoyment of wear a new watch, but with a few disguised jabs (at Rolex owners and Fidelity workers).  Maybe that part was supposed to be funny, but doesn't translate so well in writing? If you simply said, "Oh, I went out last night and my friends really liked my new watch.  I really love my new Speedy."    I would simply say, "Congrats.  Great choice of watch, enjoy it."

 

Instead you wrote a post, giving yourself credit because "you can do without all the attention" (that supposedly goes with owning a Rolex), after you just bragged about "Curiously impressing" people [through your choice of watch].  I don't work for Fidelity, but that little dig at people who work there was cute too....hopefully no one else here works for them.

 

I really like sharing in someone's excitement and fun concerning a new watch purchase. However, I don't think enjoying a watch requires some indirect insults to owners of other brands or maybe your employer's competitor.  

 

As for brand recognition... do your really think Omega isn't a well known brand.  Over the years I've seen tons of their ads in print and on billboards etc.  There used to be tons of Omega billboards around Boston and Providence.  You aren't wearing something from a small less well known brand like Peter Speake-Marin, Urwerk, Moser, or Nomos.  Omega is a big company, and is well known at the very least for their Moonwatch and Seamaster.  As for brand recognition, being a crutch, maybe yes, maybe no.  If its all due to advertising, but the product is shoddy, then yes.  If its brand recognition is attached to a company being a pioneer in a field, and a brand by which others are measured, then I think not.  Remember, its always easy for a company to make something different, making something that's better is tough.  I guess I don't hold it against a company if they are successful in their field, and recognized for making good products, which end up being purchased by lots of people...ymmv.  

post #30265 of 48312

I feel like Omega does much more advertising, as they sponsor everything under the sun.  Strangely enough, I probably see about 10 Rolexes "in the wild" to every 1 Omega.  I assume the latter could be what he meant by brand recognition.  I'm more Omega guy myself, but that's just because I love my fairly obscure x33 and constantly on the lookout to buy up the world's stock of them.  I love the look of the tourbillon style, but it is a pain to use as an actual watch.  Someone gave me a Memorigin Auspicious as a Christmas gift and the movement is quite beautiful - although there's a part of me that wished he would've gotten me the Batman one :p

post #30266 of 48312
I buy watches that grab me. What grabs me is look, history and even, yes, price (and, undoubtedly, various other factors, too). I don't care if others wear it or like it or if it's ubiquitous or not ubiquitous etc. etc. That's just bum fluff, and it doesn't interest me. I like both Rolex and Omega (and other watch brands, both affordable and unaffordable to me). If it grabs me, it grabs me, regardless of its name, brand etc.
post #30267 of 48312

I've actually been looking for a vintage automatic omega for a formal watch. Not too seriously though.

Just something simple with no day or date.

post #30268 of 48312
^ I think you can find something very simple and elegant in that department. I really like a timeless, vintage watch with character.


edit: A couple of quick searches on TZ (now you've got me thinking about one too!) happy.gif

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6751558&rid=0

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6717084&rid=0

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6712324&rid=0
post #30269 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

^ I think you can find something very simple and elegant in that department. I really like a timeless, vintage watch with character.

+1

In that vein, I just bought a vintage Rolex Oysterdate manual wind which should be arriving soon.
post #30270 of 48312
Dino - I couldn't agree with you more. Well said!

Admittedly I came late to the Rolex game and I'm not ashamed to admit I had many of the apprehensions talked about when discussing Rolex ownership. I'm not ashamed because I can admit I was wrong about many of them.

When I bought my Deepsea I mentioned to my wife that it's not exactly the most popular Rolex model. When she asked why I told her many feel it's too big, not true to the classic Rolex design, etc. etc. She looked at me like I was being stupid and said "Who cares? Look, why can't people just appreciate that it's a great looking watch and that it's incredibly well made?" Though very simplistic I think it resonated with me for some reason.

Anyways back to the topic of Omega v. Rolex. There's plenty of room in the stable for both IMO

photo IMG_1822.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)