or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2016  

post #30226 of 48312
i wouldnt go that far. every company has hits and misses. im sure for people who lust after a PP complication like that but cant quite shell out the cheddar, the steel version is a welcome addition.
post #30227 of 48312

And it's not like that's the first ugly watch PP has issued (4980, 3733, 4715, 4910, 7071, I'm lookin' at you...)

post #30228 of 48312
Well, those nba free agents signing their second, bigger contract need somewhere to go from Hublot nest.gif
post #30229 of 48312

Loving the haiku diversions; perhaps we should have a haiku-only posts day...I mean, sometimes this thread just isn't pretentious enough :lol:  Nice to see Belli back with some trademark bile!  Weirdly, on a second look, that PP is growing on me.  I suspect in the flesh it's quite fun.  But then it's my birthday next week and I'm trying to curry favour with Frilly.  Or becoming more of a douche in my tastes perhaps...

 

Re. the GO rotor, I get why that might be irritating to some.  I store that one as "quirky", and the same for the motif on the second hand that many don't like.  I just think it's a GO "thing" and suits their slightly over-sized and very deliberate, bold design philosophy.  But it's not inherently pretty like some, that's for sure.

 

BH: two things for you.  Firstly, check out Roland G Murphy for a US-made dress watch that has some similarities of style, and is in that five grand ball park.  Much more interesting, and some lovely vintage-machined guilloche dials for a bit more money, if you like that.  I really like some of their watches and there's a decent range of prices.  Secondly, for Mrs Hedonist, Raymond Weil does a few mechanical watches in that price range that are really rather attractive - actually, the "Maestro" automatic looks like a tribute to the GO Senator, so maybe you want one!  It's 39mm so man-sized, I don't know if Mrs BH likes that kind of thing.  Otherwise, Longines have a dozen different nice ladies' watches bang in that price range, both classic and sporty. Oris and Rado too, but I don't like them.

post #30230 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i wouldnt go that far. every company has hits and misses. im sure for people who lust after a PP complication like that but cant quite shell out the cheddar, the steel version is a welcome addition.

Eh. Put it on leather, with the old style hands and a matte grey dial or dark sunburst dial and we can talk. As it is it's trying too hard.
post #30231 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post


I quite like the Montblanc. Reminds me of JLC Master Calendar, though I suppose this dial/date lay out is fairly canonical for a full calendar.

Very elegant ...

post #30232 of 48312
Sold off two cherished vintage pieces this weekend. Heuer Autavia and nipple dialled Rolex 18k GMT-Master. Sad to see them go, but they were examples of my of redundancy habit shog[1].gif I have two more Autavias and another nipple dialled 18k Rolex still. And they were not sold to finance a "mud bike", but another watch, of course. More info on that later biggrin.gif

Bye bye!

DSC_4182.jpg

1-DSC_6240_zps3af745db.jpg
post #30233 of 48312
Just because I'm a TWAT nerd, here are some images of automatic rotors. happy.gif

AL&S Sax-O-Mat:



New movement in the AL& Saxonia Automatic:




AP 2120:



AP 3120:




VC 1120:



VC 2455:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 80


Micro-rotor for Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda 195:




In comparison, the GO and JLC movements are more utilitarian.

GO 39-47 (which powers the Senator Sixities Panorama Date):



JLC 925 (which power the Master Ultra Thin Moon):




Perhaps as discussed this is an apples and oranges comparison, given the greater premiums demanded by AP, VC, etc.

How important is the movement decoration to you, compared to the rest of the watch? I've been thinking about this quite a bit given my current quest for a top-tier 2- or 3-hander...
post #30234 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonServiam View Post

Sold off two cherished vintage pieces this weekend. Heuer Autavia and nipple dialled Rolex 18k GMT-Master. Sad to see them go, but they were examples of my of redundancy habit shog[1].gif I have two more Autavias and another nipple dialled 18k Rolex still. And they were not sold to finance a "mud bike", but another watch, of course. More info on that later biggrin.gif

Bye bye!

DSC_4182.jpg

1-DSC_6240_zps3af745db.jpg

Liking that Rolex, I must admit! satisfied.gif
post #30235 of 48312

I set my expectations based on the price point it's competing in, I'm never going to compare the movement of a Saxonia Dual Time to a Master Dual Time. I also give a lot less cred to finishing if they are finely finishing a movement that is sourced, but that's just me personally. It's something I certainly consider, but I have found it matters less to me now as it once did. At some point I just stop checking out the watch back, at least with any frequency, yet I still find myself comparing at time or pruchase. It's also why I like NOMOS so much as I think you get a level of finishing on the movement well beyond the price point. And to your point of a two or three hander, I think I tend to consider movement finishing more on those pieces.

post #30236 of 48312

Maybe Patek took a step too far in adding complications to that model.  Something without the triple date could work.

 

NS - Love the nipple dials in 18k.  You have great taste so I assume the next purchase will be just as lust worthy.

post #30237 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

Geneva is lost
Now even Patek Philippe
Makes A Douche Wrist Watch

LOL, not sure I would go that far, but you this is the best poem yet.
post #30238 of 48312
Not to beat the dead Costco horse, although I am sure they sell those there as well, but they had 3 Panerai's, non less that $15K, IWC Big Pilot at $12K. I guess if you are not getting any deals at AD level, you could get the 5% rebate, that is a decent discount.
post #30239 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Now even Patek Philippe
Makes A Douche Wrist Watch

Hahahha !  Well it wouldn't be the first time they have blundered...the Neptune, the Sculpture, the Cabriolet, and their first version of a Nautilus on a strap in the 1990s.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonServiam View Post

Sold off two cherished vintage pieces this weekend. Heuer Autavia and nipple dialled Rolex 18k GMT-Master. Sad to see them go, but they were examples of my of redundancy habit shog[1].gif I have two more Autavias and another nipple dialled 18k Rolex still. And they were not sold to finance a "mud bike", but another watch, of course. More info on that later biggrin.gif

Bye bye!

Details man...or at least a hint :lurk:

Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post

Perhaps as discussed this is an apples and oranges comparison, given the greater premiums demanded by AP, VC, etc.

How important is the movement decoration to you, compared to the rest of the watch? I've been thinking about this quite a bit given my current quest for a top-tier 2- or 3-hander...

When dealing with a 2 or 3 handed time only watch, the movement and its finish is very important to me.  When you are choosing something simple and elegant, often its the subtle details, and design elements that really distinguish a watch from its competitors (be it from other brands or within a brand).  For me that applies to the movement as much as the dial, and case.  I've yet to see the new AL&S Saxonia automatic in person.  However, at least in the photo you posted I think I prefer rotor to that of their micro rotor which I find a bit heavy handed in appearance (I know weight is important but I've never been in love with AL&S's micro rotors). As for the AP cal 3120 and VC 2455, but are beautiful....but if you don't already have a watch with AP cal 2120 or VC cal 1120 they are both iconic and something I would want in at least 1 watch I own.  Although, sadly...there is a rather high premium on any watch carrying those movements.  For me whether a movement is made completely in house is not such an issue for me as long as it is from a very respected movement maker, THA, Lemania, Piaget etc., and top quality in terms of any revisions and finish.  Wishing you luck on your journey for a beautiful 2 or 3 hander.        

post #30240 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

 

BH: two things for you.  Firstly, check out Roland G Murphy for a US-made dress watch that has some similarities of style, and is in that five grand ball park.  Much more interesting, and some lovely vintage-machined guilloche dials for a bit more money, if you like that.  I really like some of their watches and there's a decent range of prices.  Secondly, for Mrs Hedonist, Raymond Weil does a few mechanical watches in that price range that are really rather attractive - actually, the "Maestro" automatic looks like a tribute to the GO Senator, so maybe you want one!  It's 39mm so man-sized, I don't know if Mrs BH likes that kind of thing.  Otherwise, Longines have a dozen different nice ladies' watches bang in that price range, both classic and sporty. Oris and Rado too, but I don't like them.

 

 Oh hey, I like the RGMs, particularly the Model #222. Thanks for the recommendation!

 

For Mrs. Hedonist I'm looking at a Raymond Weil Tango in mother of pearl, a Longines Prima Luna or Flagship and I'll see if she bites on a B&M mother of pearl/diamond. Never been a big Oris fan and Rado is a bit contemporary. Interesting designs there though.

 

Thanks again!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)