or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2009  

post #30121 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren G. View Post

Aww I wish man.. I don't have a FPJ CS at the moment. It's such a gorgeous watch.

You might get a kick out of this story. The first time I saw one in the wild, it was at Chuck E Cheese's (little cousin party) of all places. I was blatantly staring at his watch, he smiled and asked me if I wanted to see it. I remember thinking to myself, I wonder how fast I can run or how many tickets did this cost...

But wow I just realized I haven't change my avatar since 2009. I still can't believe I have been on this forum for almost 6 years now.

Oh btw, you guys can call me Duy. I can only imagine you guys picture me as some old cajun white dude.

Got it Duy! And that is absolutely hilarious. I can't believe you saw one in the wild. Especially at Chuck E Cheese's.

And trust me, I understand. I am a 6-yearer too. I have checked this forum every day for the past 6 years. Kind of absurd when you think about it.

Being a resident of Lafayette, I don't think I have much room to talk about old cajun white dudes shog[1].gif
post #30122 of 48312

Styleforums noobie coming in with a bang!

 

My collection so far in chronological order:

 

Seiko skx007 my entry into the watch world. I installed the dome crystal myself and love it!

 

Orient mako - hands changed and relumed to pay homage to omega PO (hence the red omega watchbox lol)

 

notice the two tone relume anyone?

 

Everybody's gotta have a monster ;p

 

Aqua Terra - my first entry into luxury market

 

Seamaster 300 - daily wearer quartz reliability ironically my first quartz watch lol

 

WUS 2012 Chinese forum project watch - blue rotor pops

 

 

First Rolex and my birth year watch to make it extra special. also first year 14270 was released and 1016 phased out; doesnt mean anything though lol

 

I was having my movement serviced and decided to refinish the case and bracelet as watch is old as me. Heres a pic without the heart. actually the watchmaker was pleasantly surprised by my refinishing

 

That shine! thats a 24 year old watch ladies and gents. Any avid rolex collector will notice something strange about my watch. (hint hint the lugs)

 

Thanks! Hope to share more in the future :)

post #30123 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren G. View Post

coming out of the woodwork to say nice ToG Stitchyyyy! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].giffoo.gif

OH HAI, BUDDY!!!!!!! really glad you dropped by, and thanks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

I had the same experience with the boutique in Paris. Really underwhelming.

so lame.
post #30124 of 48312

@clb89, I love that last rolex. If it was mine, I'd put thinner hands on it, but it looks awesome!

post #30125 of 48312
Stitchy, I see you've resorted to the time honored tradition of eating ramen for lunch to pay for kops laugh.gif
post #30126 of 48312
Waiting for day's end.
post #30127 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

Waiting for day's end.

Nicee.. love that Speedy and Strand!!
post #30128 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren G. View Post

Nicee.. love that Speedy and Strand!!

Match made in heaven.
post #30129 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Stitchy, I see you've resorted to the time honored tradition of eating ramen for lunch to pay for kops laugh.gif

finally someone gets it.
post #30130 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Oh just having some lunch at work.

What up, @no frills !

eju6apup.jpg

:) ... simple but beautiful ... always on top.

post #30131 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i was in an omega boutique not too long ago and it sucked. the people working there clearly did not know jack about watches and were just spewing out whatever they were taught in training like omeeeega parrots. not to mention it was in some back corner of a mall and there was no feeling of exclusivity/fancy-pants-ness or anything special at all really about the space or ambiance.

kind of the exact opposite of what they claimed they were trying to do with these boutiques. if they are mostly like this, the idea will fail imo.


interesting to hear this. in london, paris and berlin they've invested in prestigious locations and the boutiques are almost intimidating, with bouncers to buzz you in etc. swatch group management is very focused on the asian spend (much of which takes place in European capitals), it's likely that smaller cities in the US are just not a priority
post #30132 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post


interesting to hear this. in london, paris and berlin they've invested in prestigious locations and the boutiques are almost intimidating, with bouncers to buzz you in etc. swatch group management is very focused on the asian spend (much of which takes place in European capitals), it's likely that smaller cities in the US are just not a priority


Meh, I wouldn't read much in to anyone's individual experience. Stitch had a bad one in the States, I had a good one. Moo just said he had one similar to Stitchy's in Paris. I think like most stores, experiences can vary depending on the sales person you hit that day. Sure, it would be great if every employee at every store was great, but that's rarely the case IMO. FWIW, the boutique in King of Prussia (suburb of Philadelphia) have a "bouncer" dressed in a suit and tie that must let you in to the store as well, this is not uncommon for high end jewelry/watch stores, and I'd assume most of the other boutiques have some similar. The boutique in my area seems to be focused on the consumer that walks in and buys a Rolex because they know the brand and what the brand can symbolize. Those consumers aren't necessarily watch people, but they recognize brands. The staff I talked to at the KoP location happened to love to talk watches, and not just Omega; maybe it's the exception or maybe it's more of the rule, I'm not sure anyone can say one way or the other with any certainty. I can't even say the other employees of the boutique I visited are any good or not.

post #30133 of 48312
To add to the topic of bouncers and security - there are legitimate risks when you're talking about portable high value inventory like watches. Cartier's flagship store on Fifth Avenue went through a smash and grab just a few months ago - after the perpetrators were foiled by the security guys at Wempe. So if it seems unwelcoming for some, it's the price some dealers have and want to pay given what they sell.

Today's timepiece. Why am I wearing this one so often? Because I missed her so much.

ejyqaha8.jpg
post #30134 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

To add to the topic of bouncers and security - there are legitimate risks when you're talking about portable high value inventory like watches. Cartier's flagship store on Fifth Avenue went through a smash and grab just a few months ago - after the perpetrators were foiled by the security guys at Wempe. So if it seems unwelcoming for some, it's the price some dealers have and want to pay given what they sell.

Today's timepiece. Why am I wearing this one so often? Because I missed her so much.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
ejyqaha8.jpg

Looks great!

Both of the high end stores that I used to frequent here in Houston have an armed security guard who controls the door. You can't enter or exit without him unlocking it remotely.
post #30135 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni Cerutti View Post

smile.gif  ... simple but beautiful ... always on top.

thanks, gianni!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post


Meh, I wouldn't read much in to anyone's individual experience. Stitch had a bad one in the States, I had a good one. Moo just said he had one similar to Stitchy's in Paris. I think like most stores, experiences can vary depending on the sales person you hit that day. Sure, it would be great if every employee at every store was great, but that's rarely the case IMO. FWIW, the boutique in King of Prussia (suburb of Philadelphia) have a "bouncer" dressed in a suit and tie that must let you in to the store as well, this is not uncommon for high end jewelry/watch stores, and I'd assume most of the other boutiques have some similar. The boutique in my area seems to be focused on the consumer that walks in and buys a Rolex because they know the brand and what the brand can symbolize. Those consumers aren't necessarily watch people, but they recognize brands. The staff I talked to at the KoP location happened to love to talk watches, and not just Omega; maybe it's the exception or maybe it's more of the rule, I'm not sure anyone can say one way or the other with any certainty. I can't even say the other employees of the boutique I visited are any good or not.

well said. i think you hit the nail on the head. i just wonder if they might be better served with less boutiques, and to hire top notch people for these prime locations, and leave the majority of the malls to ADs. then again, they know the what the numbers are, and if they are making money, they must be doing something right, even if its not something TWATers like.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)