or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2004  

post #30046 of 48312
just want say i agree with dino. that is all.
post #30047 of 48312

Safe. :)

post #30048 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

I used to use my Speedy chrono as a date function. I'd run the chrono for one minute every day and it would advance the 30min counter (3 o'clock subdial) by one. So whatever number the 30min. totalizer was on would be the date. It only gets tricky on months with 31 days. haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post


I've been using mine to track how much time I spend waiting for my wife. Scary when you put a number to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

I couldn't do that. Not enough power reserve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

White tea, 2.5 minutes. Green, 3. Black 4. Herbal,
5-7. Elevator pitch, 3 minutes max. My friend's quarter mile time, 13.2 seconds. Time is money. Or, in some cases flavor.

lol8[1].gif

Impressive friend you have, btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkapur View Post

I was just at Costco and they had a Panerai for $8700. Couldn't tell the model unfortunately. They also had an IWC for $5000.

I actually really liked it but not super familiar with IWC's


Is this for real; Costco offers these??
post #30049 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

Dino, we posted at the same time: yes, we can agree to differ indeed, and we don't differ over much.  There's definitely a superior, crisper finish and structure to the RO, and I do love that tapisserie too.  I do think more people recognise the RO shape these days (or worse, confuse it with a Hublot!) than would recognise that Maltese cross shape in a bracelet, but we're coming down to delicious degrees of detail now.  It's all good.  The RO is fancier.  I just like them both for different reasons.  I like the grey OS dual time more than the white RO though - dial colour makes a big difference to me in the same watch somehow; the black RO would probably beat the white OS in dual times for me too.

 

On the flip side again, I'm not so keen on the time-only Overseas, old or new.  The dial's actually pretty flat and boring in itself I think, so it takes the chrono or time zone subdials and their oddities to make it interesting for me.  That's another area where the RO probably wins: every version has that visual interest of the tapisserie, and your Jumbo is of course sublime.  Now that and and Overseas chrono could definitely live on the same winder: so very similar in original concept, yet so very different in outcome.  A slim savoury wafer of Jumbo and a fat Overseas chronoburger, with a sweet, sweet Lange to finish...mmmm....a man can dream...

Hi Mimo,

 

Yes, I suppose more people would recognize a RO, although, and even more people would recognize a ROO as those seem to overshadow the the original RO, in size, advertising, and product placement.  Still in my experience, unless you are in a major city like NYC, Vegas, Chicago, LA, or Miami, you just don't see many of either brand "in the wild."  Sure you might see them at a high end watch event, or jewelry/watch store, but in the year and I half I've had my RO Jumbo, I've only seen one other Jumbo on a person, and he had ordered it, purchased it, and they were filling out the paperwork at Wempe.  I've seen an occasional Offshore in Boston, but mostly I see Rolex, IWC, Panerais, Cartiers, and Omegas.

 

I think the original time only Overseas with military dial using Arabic numerals was pretty good looking, although I greatly preferred the chronograph version.  As for the current Overseas, I agree you need a dual time or chronograph.  I found the current time only version rather unappealing, so I didn't consider that model.  I had previously seen it and didn't like its lum markers, its style of Arabic markers, or its cheese grater style of guilloche.  The Chronograph or Dual Time negate those issues. 

 

Yes, there is always plenty of room in my collection for various brands to live together happily. Now, if only I could win one of those record setting lottery jackpots, then I could bring more of them together sooner!

 

Perhaps the Overseas should be cut some slack as it has to battle the original line up of ROs, and the Offshores.  Its tough for any watch to cover all the bases.  

post #30050 of 48312
My local Costco had a rose gold Panerai for $20K+. Not sure who buys that, but I guess it is similar to the guy who walks in a buys a Hublot cause he likes the style.
post #30051 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckwith View Post

My local Costco had a rose gold Panerai for $20K+. Not sure who buys that, but I guess it is similar to the guy who walks in a buys a Hublot cause he likes the style.

I saw a rose gold Zenith in my Costco yesterday. My new next door neighbor owns an AD that happens to be a Zenith dealer, I've been meaning to ask him where these Costco watches come from and what the angle is there.
post #30052 of 48312
Now, I don't believe I'd buy a Pam from Costco, nor would I buy a Hub. Some people would, fine. Who am I to cast aspersions on someone else's choices though? There has been mention made in the last week or so about these matters, disparaging remarks that are unnecessary (demographics indeed!) and comments in a tome unbecoming of this very friendly and welcoming, supportive thread.

Just saying

Carry on
post #30053 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

Now, I don't believe I'd buy a Pam from Costco, nor would I buy a Hub. Some people would, fine. Who am I to cast aspersions on someone else's choices though? There has been mention made in the last week or so about these matters, disparaging remarks that are unnecessary (demographics indeed!) and comments in a tome unbecoming of this very friendly and welcoming, supportive thread.

Just saying

Carry on

Given Costco's return policies, they might be the best place to buy a watch from. Could you imagine waltzing in there 2 years later and returning your gold Daytona because you just had a change of heart? LOL
post #30054 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC (Houston) View Post

I saw a rose gold Zenith in my Costco yesterday. My new next door neighbor owns an AD that happens to be a Zenith dealer, I've been meaning to ask him where these Costco watches come from and what the angle is there.


The dirty little secret (which is no real secret) is that the watch industry has no issue with the grey market and needs it as much as it needs the ADs. While you have very hot selling watches and very successful AD's, the reality is that the majority of watches and ADs need "help" to move. Given that AD's get most watches at 50% less than the MSRP, there is room for grey market dealers to come in, move inventory and everyone makes some money (and customers get watches cheaper). I am not a big timer but have had the good fortune to procure watches for a few people. AP's, Pateks, Panerai's etc. I have gone through some grey market contacts and the watches have come from some very high end and well known watch dealers here in the NY tri state area. With warranties, stamps, even receipts.

As for Costco, I would feel more comfortable spending 20K plus on a watch there, then anywhere else. Their return policy is second to none and while no one will admit it, when you take a watch to them to repair, it goes right to the same places that the AD's send there watches to repair, the brand's repair centers. Keep in mind that Costco has more buying power than all of Panerai's AD's combined. Panerai would never want to be associated publicly with Costco, but Costco ain't stealing these watches, they come from AD's and some come directly from the brands themselves.
post #30055 of 48312
Agree. and ... Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

Now, I don't believe I'd buy a Pam from Costco, nor would I buy a Hub. Some people would, fine. Who am I to cast aspersions on someone else's choices though? There has been mention made in the last week or so about these matters, disparaging remarks that are unnecessary (demographics indeed!) and comments in a tome unbecoming of this very friendly and welcoming, supportive thread.

Just saying

Carry on

Regarding Costco's very liberal return policy - Might be the very rare time when a watch won't lose its value. I'm just saying.. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC (Houston) View Post

Given Costco's return policies, they might be the best place to buy a watch from. Could you imagine waltzing in there 2 years later and returning your gold Daytona because you just had a change of heart? LOL
post #30056 of 48312
and by the way, I am not saying that everyone should abandon AD's and just go look for watches at the cheapest possible prices. AD's provide a lot of services, not limited to having large selections, allowing you actualy see/touch the watches, getting you something that is limited/hot/hard to find etc. Its just that sometimes the grey market gets poo poo'd (and there are a bunch of bad grey market guys) but the AD's and the brands benefit from the grey market as much as the consumers do.
post #30057 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

Still in my experience, unless you are in a major city like NYC, Vegas, Chicago, LA, or Miami, you just don't see many of either brand "in the wild."  Sure you might see them at a high end watch event, or jewelry/watch store, but in the year and I half I've had my RO Jumbo, I've only seen one other Jumbo on a person, and he had ordered it, purchased it, and they were filling out the paperwork at Wempe.  I've seen an occasional Offshore in Boston, but mostly I see Rolex, IWC, Panerais, Cartiers, and Omegas.

 

The only time I've seen a Patek on another wrist was in watch-buddy related get-togethers.  Or during a Patek-sponsored event.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC (Houston) View Post

Given Costco's return policies, they might be the best place to buy a watch from. Could you imagine waltzing in there 2 years later and returning your gold Daytona because you just had a change of heart? LOL

 

Oh man that may just be what I need to truly recoup my Costco Executive Membership investment!  Here's the math:

 

1.  $55.00 regular membership

 

2.  $110 executive membership gives you 2% cash back

 

3.  Net cost versus regular membership is $55.  So you need to spend at least $55 / 0.02 = $2,750 to recoup the additional cost, and more to benefit from 2% cash back.

 

Have I ever spent more than $2,750 in Costco over the course of a year?  Yes, but it required multiple visits and countless Giant Rolls of Bounty.

 

But if I bought myself a Gold Daytona.... BOOOOOM!

post #30058 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

The dirty little secret (which is no real secret) is that the watch industry has no issue with the grey market and needs it as much as it needs the ADs. While you have very hot selling watches and very successful AD's, the reality is that the majority of watches and ADs need "help" to move. Given that AD's get most watches at 50% less than the MSRP, there is room for grey market dealers to come in, move inventory and everyone makes some money (and customers get watches cheaper). I am not a big timer but have had the good fortune to procure watches for a few people. AP's, Pateks, Panerai's etc. I have gone through some grey market contacts and the watches have come from some very high end and well known watch dealers here in the NY tri state area. With warranties, stamps, even receipts.

As for Costco, I would feel more comfortable spending 20K plus on a watch there, then anywhere else. Their return policy is second to none and while no one will admit it, when you take a watch to them to repair, it goes right to the same places that the AD's send there watches to repair, the brand's repair centers. Keep in mind that Costco has more buying power than all of Panerai's AD's combined. Panerai would never want to be associated publicly with Costco, but Costco ain't stealing these watches, they come from AD's and some come directly from the brands themselves.

+1, classic form of efficient price discrimination.
post #30059 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post
 

 

The only time I've seen a Patek on another wrist was in watch-buddy related get-togethers.  Or during a Patek-sponsored event.

 

 

Oh man that may just be what I need to truly recoup my Costco Executive Membership investment!  Here's the math:

 

1.  $55.00 regular membership

 

2.  $110 executive membership gives you 2% cash back

 

3.  Net cost versus regular membership is $55.  So you need to spend at least $55 / 0.02 = $2,750 to recoup the additional cost, and more to benefit from 2% cash back.

 

Have I ever spent more than $2,750 in Costco over the course of a year?  Yes, but it required multiple visits and countless Giant Rolls of Bounty.

 

But if I bought myself a Gold Daytona.... BOOOOOM!

 

TWAT logic right there folks.  We buy memberships to buy watches!

post #30060 of 48312
Another dirty little secret about Costco Executive, just tell them you didn't hit the threshold for the rebate and they will give you back the difference on the spot. This thread has the stock shooting through the roof.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)