Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 7:08 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on 9/28/16 at 4:19am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1990post #29836 of 483123/14/14 at 1:23pmpost #29837 of 483123/14/14 at 1:33pm
Thank you all for the quick responses. I'll certainly be looking into the recommendations you've all given.
I presume the high price is down to only 100 of the pieces being made. The description on their site being as follows:Quote:Stainless steel case with gold IP crown. Silver sunray guilloché dial with gold IP indexes and hands. Automatic movement with visible balance wheel. Limited edition, individually numbered. Black alligator strap with red calf lining and deployant buckle. Anti-reflection, scratch-resistant sapphire crystal.
On an aesthetic level what really attracted me to the watch is colour combo as well as the visible balance wheel. Being a newbie to watches, I'm unsure as to what other brands produce similar looking pieces. Rotonde de Cartier is the sort of style I'm after, that is providing a window into the innards of the piece, but unfortunately they are currently out of my price range.
BostonHedonist mentioned B&M, are there any other makers along those lines that I should also look into?
Once again, thanks all for the advice.post #29838 of 483123/14/14 at 1:38pmI also think the B&M Classisma might match what you're going for:
Seriously,a fake tourbillion? On this thread of all places?
@Corneliani: I think you have heard everything you need to hear. The Ferragamo is a fashion watch. If you like it and and you can live with the price and you aren't interested in watches much beyond that, then buy and enjoy. If you do care at all about watches you can buy something more significant and of far greater value even within your price range. There are brands that sell new watches with well made mechanical movements or obviously used/vintage. Tons out there. You can get way more for your money.post #29839 of 483123/14/14 at 1:52pmpost #29840 of 483123/14/14 at 1:56pmpost #29841 of 483123/14/14 at 1:58pmQuote:
I think so. Was invented by Breguet (yes that Breguet) late 1700s. Although if memory serves, his design was based on another watchmaker even before him.post #29842 of 483123/14/14 at 1:58pmpost #29843 of 483123/14/14 at 2:21pmpost #29844 of 483123/14/14 at 2:46pmQuote:Quote:
Ahsooo. Good to know indeed.post #29845 of 483123/14/14 at 2:55pmpost #29846 of 483123/14/14 at 2:59pmpost #29847 of 483123/14/14 at 4:12pmpost #29848 of 483123/14/14 at 4:13pmpost #29849 of 483123/14/14 at 4:20pmpost #29850 of 483123/14/14 at 4:55pm
Tyre-kicking diary (shoutout: Mimo) Part ?:
So, Keith T and I went out watch shopping today, and checked out an AD in Houston. Saw some great watches. Keith will likely chime in as well, because he focused on some different ones than myself. I went in wanting to see the VC. It certainly did not disappoint. It is beautifully finished, it looks great on the wrist, and it has quite a nice backside. I would like to spend more time with it, for sure.
However, the stunner for me was the... FP Journe. I came in wanting to see the VC, but figured I ought to check out some FPJs since they were right there.
Holy heck, if you have not seen this in the flesh, do yourself a favor and check it out. It is ABSOLUTELY stunning. The blue dial is just unbelievable. I honestly have never seen anything like it. The case is also made of tantalum, which I find interesting. If this makes sense, the case kind of gives off a black MOP vibe. It is almost smoky looking. It has a lot of depth, and ties in well with the navy strap and the blue dial. The blue changes colors every way that you look at it. And the movement is just beautiful. It has a crazy amount of death, and it is very unique looking.
Of course, as I am certain some will chime in... FPJs are not known to be the most reliable. That does concern me a little bit. But I have heard that they are over it.
Had a fun time meeting Keith T, and next time TC I will be sure to shoot you a PM before the day I come up. And hopefully we can get some drinks next time.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 1 minute ago
- › Cars We Drive! 13 minutes ago
- › Blazer for a melange shirt 13 minutes ago
- › DROPS!! FS : Dark Brown Coach Bleecker Leather Backpack+GIFT!. STEP... 14 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 19 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 20 minutes ago
- › Tod's Gommini Suede Driving Loafers (Navy Blue) - 8.5 22 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge 2016/09/30 - "Blue and Green Now Must Be Seen" 22 minutes ago
- › Shoes for narrow heel and wide toes? 23 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 23 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...