Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 1:43 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 5:09 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1947post #29191 of 483122/18/14 at 2:08pmpost #29192 of 483122/18/14 at 2:11pmpost #29193 of 483122/18/14 at 2:39pmpost #29194 of 483122/18/14 at 2:39pmpost #29195 of 483122/18/14 at 5:54pmpost #29196 of 483122/18/14 at 7:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by Newcomer
Also, in the spirit of the thread, I tend to be fairly one-minded in my hypotheticals
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
lol.. nice outline. Special Property Exception eh?post #29197 of 483122/18/14 at 7:28pm
New to the forums, and only about 2,000 posts deep into this thread. Nevertheless, I find the longines mystery watch to be one of the most unique and classy watches I have come across. I hopped on ebay to check out prices and came across this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Longines-Mystery-Dial-Wristwatch-NICE-/121242398057?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item1c3a9c2d69
I'm looking to put it in my regular rotation and wear it once a week or so. Anything I should really worry about here? What is a fair price for this watch? Thanks!post #29198 of 483122/18/14 at 8:44pmpost #29199 of 483122/18/14 at 8:53pmQuote:
Beautiful shot! And beautiful Panerai.
And I kind of agree, but they have a few designs that really appeal to me. In that price range, I would struggle not to pick something up from the big four first.
Kaplan, you too, I love that one. The gold hands are something else.
I get what you are saying. The logo, font, and Piaget is definitely more stylized, and it is pretty darn cool. They kind of remind me of Cartier in that way. And I definitely respect the fact that Piaget as a brand has really embraced a style. Their watches are distinctly Piaget, and not that many brands come claim such a strong identity.
I am going to have a chance to see some Piagets at an AD soon, so I will report back with what I see! I have always enjoyed the Altiplanos, although some of them may have a diameter a little too large for the style.Quote:Originally Posted by rnguy001
Cleav - Lovin' that PAM as usual. TChoy - wowza
re: PiageT - clearly they are in a higher class of timepieces, and although I can appreciate their quality and beauty, they've never quite interested me. I too am not a fan of their choice of logo font, but maybe I'm missing the relevance or history behind their choice in lettering. True, it's a bit different, and I'm sure fans will love it, but it's not my cup of tea. I've handled some in person, and really can't find anything wrong with the watch per se, just no chemistry for me.
I really do not know that much about the history of the brand either. Or what their existence looked like in the Quartz revolution.
But at the end of the day, if you don't feel the chemistry, you just don't feel the chemistry. I feel that way about many of GP's designs (except I love that cushion case chrono) and even the new Jules Audmemars designs.Quote:
Please do! I greatly enjoyed your first few posts.
The one with the side profile of that AP is breathtaking.post #29200 of 483122/18/14 at 8:55pmpost #29201 of 483122/18/14 at 9:05pmpost #29202 of 483122/18/14 at 9:33pmQuote:
I know I'm a watch geek (& not at all fond of the subject matter) when I click the spoiler and am disappointed not to see a watch in the picture.
srsly enough already with the Kate Upton crap... she's really not all that at all.post #29203 of 483122/18/14 at 9:51pmpost #29204 of 483122/19/14 at 1:01amSaw a couple of references to the "big 3" and decide to google. Am I right that you guys are referring to AP, Patek and VC? I'm wondering why JLC is considered a step below those three...presumably ALS isn't there because they're not Swiss?
Btw I know this is kind of a post so apologies in advancepost #29205 of 483122/19/14 at 1:10am
I've heard those three described also as the traditional big three, with the addition of Lange and Breguet as a semi-official modern "big five". JLC certainly have top end pieces up there with the best of them, so I get your point, but then they also make a lot of stainless steel watches with Rolex prices. So do Breguet, I suppose, but I think it's still clear that with the same owners, JLC are positioned carefully to be more "accessible" than Lange. Relatively speaking, of course.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 16 seconds ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 6 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 8 minutes ago
- › Obama's Unravelling 8 minutes ago
- › Best selvedge jeans 8 minutes ago
- › FS: BNIB FOSTER & SON 2-Eyelet Black Calf Derby/Gibson, UK 8F 11 minutes ago
- › ***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)*** 14 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 14 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 17 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 19 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...