or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1944  

post #29146 of 48312

Please think carefully before buying Metal Rocket Boobs watch. Think of what sort of person the watch was designed for.

 

post #29147 of 48312
Also, the kind of person who carefully but casually positions his wrist shot to include the SLS AMG in the background
post #29148 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

Please think carefully before buying Metal Rocket Boobs watch. Think of what sort of person the watch was designed for.


Hayward, you crack me up...got a good laugh from the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Also, the kind of person who carefully but casually positions his wrist shot to include the SLS AMG in the background

I've seen that guys posts on IG. I find him to be mostly flash, but not truly having a sense of style.
post #29149 of 48312

I love the Piaget Altiplano.  As Dino mentioned it does not get the respect of the Big 3 but they do have then ice Altiplano line and their Black Tie line isn't too flashy.  Some of their other lines I do not like but I haven't found a company where I like everything they make.

post #29150 of 48312
I have to bow to superior knowledge re the Piagets. They are competing in a serious price bracket with some big hitters which would make me rule em out. Having read Nuke and Dino I am swayed though. Anyway at that price point it is about window shopping right now for me.

Had to do some work today and went like tis, trying to match brown and pink.

AppleMark
post #29151 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I love seeing older watches that have all their boxes, papers, and other items that were provided to owners when the watches were cool.  Pocket watches never really excite me, even from the big three...but again for an older watch to have boxes and papers, you know the owner cherished it and took good care of it. Spending Sunday with some nice watches, sounds pretty good to me.

cheers.gif

yeah, the PW is not my thing either, but having the orig box and papers is really cool. the dial and hands are also beautiful. but what impressed me most was how well it still runs.
post #29152 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I really like them a lot.  Its a watch I definitely look forward to seeing in person.  In fact, it was the only watch released at SIHH that I thought was fresh, interesting, and could some day be on my list of must haves.  Granted, I have not seen it yet in person, but I really like it.  Its definitely a brand that is IMHO, very under appreciated, but their quality and workmanship is top notch. While not a member of the Big Three, its a brand who's quality, complications, and workmanship are such that IMHO, its a direct competitor with them (other than in terms of popularity...its not as well known as the Big Three). 

Its also nice to see a brand come up with a new concept for an ultra-thin.  Today, it seems most brands just focus on making bigger & thicker watches, with little regard to how many people can truly wear oversized watches without looking like they borrowed a watch belonging to an bigger brother who hits the gym a lot more frequently. Kudos to Piaget for offering something different and in a wearable size!

I was hoping that you would weigh in, I know that you are a fan of Piaget. It really is a shame that they do not get more "respect." I have to say though, the PiageT kind of bothers me. I wish they did away with that. I really like the font, but that damn T.

I too would really like to see it. I look forward to checking it out in the metal.

And I concur, it is nice to see progression that is not mere evolution. And the beauty of this new watch is that I really am not sure why the idea did not come about earlier. It is a simple idea masterfully executed.

Which one is your favorite of the two? I really like the pink gold for some reason. Pink gold and grey is such an attractive combination. I could see myself picking one of these up, especially at the "relatively" modest price. If this watch was put out by one of the big three, I could see it retailing for an obnoxiously larger price.
post #29153 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

Name of it....Metal Rocket Boobs...seems like an accurate name for that one.  While I like seeing companies do something different, I just wouldn't spend good money on something that really isn't wearable to anything other than a Mad Max or Star Trek convention.

 

:lol:

 

Nice name!

post #29154 of 48312
post #29155 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post
 

I love the Piaget Altiplano.  As Dino mentioned it does not get the respect of the Big 3 but they do have then ice Altiplano line and their Black Tie line isn't too flashy.  Some of their other lines I do not like but I haven't found a company where I like everything they make.

I've yet to find a company, from which I find I like everything they produce, and that goes for AL&S, Patek, AP, VC, Piaget, JLC, Rolex, Panerai, Zenith, GO...etc.  I'm not a huge fan of AL&S's perpetual calendar (and for years I disliked the Datograph), Patek (I dislike their annual calendars), AP (I don't like the Offshore ROs, the Scuba might be the exception), VC ( I don't like the Quai de l'lle) and I could keep going.  If someone finds a brand and they like everything the brand makes they are either very lucky, or very easy to please. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

I have to bow to superior knowledge re the Piagets. They are competing in a serious price bracket with some big hitters which would make me rule em out. Having read Nuke and Dino I am swayed though. Anyway at that price point it is about window shopping right now for me.

Had to do some work today and went like tis, trying to match brown and pink.

AppleMark

Looking sharp Cleav.  As for Piaget relative to the big three...while Piaget does make watches in the same range as the Big Three, if you compared complications or time only models, you would find the Piaget to be a bargain.  A time only Altiplano before a discount is easily about 10K less than a comparable Patek or AP, and a VC might be a bit less than a 10K difference.  If one already has scratched their itch for something from the Big Three, or if one likes a slightly less obvious choice...then Piaget is a great choice.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post


I was hoping that you would weigh in, I know that you are a fan of Piaget. It really is a shame that they do not get more "respect." I have to say though, the PiageT kind of bothers me. I wish they did away with that. I really like the font, but that damn T.

I too would really like to see it. I look forward to checking it out in the metal.

And I concur, it is nice to see progression that is not mere evolution. And the beauty of this new watch is that I really am not sure why the idea did not come about earlier. It is a simple idea masterfully executed.

Which one is your favorite of the two? I really like the pink gold for some reason. Pink gold and grey is such an attractive combination. I could see myself picking one of these up, especially at the "relatively" modest price. If this watch was put out by one of the big three, I could see it retailing for an obnoxiously larger price.

Nuke...embrace the "T."  Its cool.  I love that its a bit different than how most other makers sign a dial.  Its an odd and unexpected way to add some symmetry in an unexpected place.  For me, often times its these small nuances that help me to appreciate the individuality of a brand.  So again, I say embrace it and move forward. 

 

I'm not really sure which version I prefer.  I generally prefer pink gold (but usually when paired with a silver dial rather than a dark dial).  White gold is really not my thing, I've only owned one watch in white gold, and I lost interest in it quickly and just kept its steel sibling that I also owned.  So I think these are pieces I will need to see in person before I would know which one really speaks to me.  Without a doubt if the name on the dial was PP, AP, or VC we would be seeing at least another $10K for this piece.  I have had a desire to add a Piaget to my collection at some point.  Whether this would be the one...only time will tell.  However, as I said earlier this was the only watch released at SIHH that even remotely peaked my interest.  

post #29156 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I've yet to find a company, from which I find I like everything they produce, and that goes for AL&S, Patek, AP, VC, Piaget, JLC, Rolex, Panerai, Zenith, GO...etc.  I'm not a huge fan of AL&S's perpetual calendar (and for years I disliked the Datograph), Patek (I dislike their annual calendars), AP (I don't like the Offshore ROs, the Scuba might be the exception), VC ( I don't like the Quai de l'lle) and I could keep going.  If someone finds a brand and they like everything the brand makes they are either very lucky, or very easy to please. 


Take it with a grain of salt because I've never been a big Paneristi, but I can't see how a Panerai fan wouldn't like everything they make.... they really mostly look the same to me.
post #29157 of 48312

It's true that there are basically only two Panerais (OK, four at a push), but I can certainly understand someone not liking, say, ceramic cases, or smaller ones, or one shape or the other, or certain dial layouts...

 

I mean, it's no surprise that people who like watches seem to be fussy motherfuckers, is it?

post #29158 of 48312
I don't think it's reasonable to expect that you'd like absolutely everything a company makes. No one's perfect.

I've traditionally been a big fan of ALS, JLC, Apple, BMW, Porsche and John Lobb - just to name stuff off the top of my head - and all those brands have released some real dogs
post #29159 of 48312
I do owned a few Panerais but there are many that they produced that I don't like.

Pam 232 with JV strap

post #29160 of 48312

^^ Sweeet.

 

Struggling to think of a "real dog" from Lange or Lobb, but I think the point is valid nonetheless. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)