or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1941  

post #29101 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I'm quite familiar with cars and work that must be done with a certain amount of mileage or age.  With watches there isn't specifically something that gets done the way you would replace X on a car at 80,000 KM.  However, after a certain number of years, depending on the watch and if its running well, some people say it should be serviced every 3-5 years others say 5-7 years. Others disagree and say wait until it stops working or isn't telling time properly. At that point the watch is opened, movement disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and lubricated, and some people have the cases/bracelets polished...others prefer not to.

Maybe I missed it in your writing, but is this some sort of present?  You say you feel badly about your family paying for this.  If this gift is too pricey, or your don't feel good about them buying it, perhaps you should wait and buy one on your own at a later date?  Yes, pre-owned from a private person there is a savings over new from an AD or a gray market dealer.  However, you aren't getting a new watch, condition could be outstanding, but maybe not.  It has no warranty if it stops running for some reason. You have little recourse if there is a problem and its a private sale of a used watch.  There is nothing wrong with buying pre-owned from a private party, but there are risks involved so you need to be certain you know the seller has a great reputation and is selling you the real product for a fair price...(particularly, there are lots of fake Rolex watches out there some of the more accurate fakes even use some real Rolex parts from old watches).  Be careful and if in doubt, or you don't really know what to look for in terms of authenticity stick with a reputable store be it new or pre-owned.  Saving money is one thing, but the seller is very important.  If you spend $5,000 and end up with a fake or a "Franken-watch" cobbled from some used parts...then you really haven't saved anything.  

yes, it is going to be a gift for my graduation. I just feel bad because they have paid my entire way through school and everything else so I figured I would still get what I want without the exorbitant price tag.

I admit I will have to do my due diligence on the seller. I have also just texted my sister about setting up an appointment with a jeweller she knows to see what he has/if he can get what I need for a decent price.

I want to thank you for both your consideration and patience with me in this matter. It really means a lot to me because buying something like this is a pretty big purchase and it would royally suck to end up with a "franken watch".
post #29102 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

The MUT Moon is much loved in this thread.  I tried one on a while back and can only say that the love seems eminently justified.  I didn't like the Grand Ultra Thin as much as I'd expected: love the small seconds, simple markers, conceptually it's perfect.  And yet in person it just didn't have a lot of personality to me.  The MUT moon, though, is all elegance.  Pretty enough to eat.

yeah she looks beautiful! That is probably the most accurate depiction of what I had in my mind for year (hell, since I've been on this site I've wanted a JLC with a choco croc strap).

Also regarding the Grand Ultra Thin, it looks great in pictures. I guess I will have to try it on and see if I get the same excitement (or lack thereof) that you did
post #29103 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post


yes, it is going to be a gift for my graduation. I just feel bad because they have paid my entire way through school and everything else so I figured I would still get what I want without the exorbitant price tag.

I admit I will have to do my due diligence on the seller. I have also just texted my sister about setting up an appointment with a jeweller she knows to see what he has/if he can get what I need for a decent price.

I want to thank you for both your consideration and patience with me in this matter. It really means a lot to me because buying something like this is a pretty big purchase and it would royally suck to end up with a "franken watch".

Congrats on your up coming graduation.  Make sure you do your due diligence, with whatever you decide to get.  There can be a great savings to going with a pre-owned piece, but again its generally much safer to buy from a reputable store rather than an unknown private seller.  Don't simply be persuaded by price.  I know if my parents were buying something for me, they would rather have the piece of mind of spending a bit more with an AD or a very reputable pre-owned jeweler/watch store and know the item they were buying is real rather than spending less (but still a significant sum only to find out something about the watch is not legit).  

 

Wishing you lots of luck & fun with your new adventure, choosing a watch.    

post #29104 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

The MUT Moon is much loved in this thread.  I tried one on a while back and can only say that the love seems eminently justified.  I didn't like the Grand Ultra Thin as much as I'd expected: love the small seconds, simple markers, conceptually it's perfect.  And yet in person it just didn't have a lot of personality to me.  The MUT moon, though, is all elegance.  Pretty enough to eat.

This + smile.gif
post #29105 of 48312
So, a bit off the beaten path here, but can anyone think of women's watches in the $500-$1,500 price range?

My boss' wife asked me for suggestions (she knows I love watches). Originally the price range was a bit higher, and I suggested a Tank. But she is thinking about a "trial watch" to see if it is something she enjoys wearing. She is in her early thirties, slim. She has many children though, so sturdiness would probably be an attribute. Something with a little bit of water resistance as well.

I find this is a tricky price range for women. Michele is always an option (I don't think that horological value is high up on the priority list), and maybe TAG?

Open to some ideas, and would appreciate suggestions. She wants to be able to try it on though, so it needs to be something somewhat commercially available (the Tank is still "on deck").
post #29106 of 48312
Thanks for all the comments, guys!
post #29107 of 48312
I would recommend LA GRANDE CLASSIQUE DE LONGINES
post #29108 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Can I get some warmer weather please?

...said ....everybody.... in the whole..... hemisphere.




This winter has been brutal in Michigan and the kids have off from school on Monday. So I used miles and booked a last-minute trip to Phoenix with the wife and kids.
RGM diver with mojito by the pool. IPhone photos, slightly inebriated...


post #29109 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

So, a bit off the beaten path here, but can anyone think of women's watches in the $500-$1,500 price range?

My boss' wife asked me for suggestions (she knows I love watches). Originally the price range was a bit higher, and I suggested a Tank. But she is thinking about a "trial watch" to see if it is something she enjoys wearing. She is in her early thirties, slim. She has many children though, so sturdiness would probably be an attribute. Something with a little bit of water resistance as well.

I find this is a tricky price range for women. Michele is always an option (I don't think that horological value is high up on the priority list), and maybe TAG?

Open to some ideas, and would appreciate suggestions. She wants to be able to try it on though, so it needs to be something somewhat commercially available (the Tank is still "on deck").

Kind of a tough price range.  Most tend to be fashion watches in that range.  She might be able to get a Tag, or as someone suggested a Longines.  If she is willing to spend more, the Tank is a great watch with classic styling, and it will last a life time if taken care of (although its not a watch that I'd go swimming with). 

post #29110 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

I would recommend LA GRANDE CLASSIQUE DE LONGINES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Kind of a tough price range.  Most tend to be fashion watches in that range.  She might be able to get a Tag, or as someone suggested a Longines.  If she is willing to spend more, the Tank is a great watch with classic styling, and it will last a life time if taken care of (although its not a watch that I'd go swimming with). 

Yes, I was thinking TAG, but the Longines is a great suggestion. It is a fairly terrible price range. Funny how you can great some pretty excellent watches in that price range for men... but for women, not so much.
post #29111 of 48312
Well, 187's decisions are mostly made for him by the Inner Circle, that's why he can't explain them very well
post #29112 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

So, a bit off the beaten path here, but can anyone think of women's watches in the $500-$1,500 price range?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

I would recommend LA GRANDE CLASSIQUE DE LONGINES

 

Yes.  Also:

 

- Oris Rectangular

 

- Longines Master Automatic (25mm)

 

- Raymond Weil Jasmine (bit of a Cartier Ballon Bleu lookalike, but so pretty because of it)

 

- Baume & Mercier Linea (there's a really nice one with a mother of pearl dial)

 

- Zenith Port Royal Lady

 

Or, a couple of wild cards:

 

- Oris Aquis, a dive watch but very pretty with the white dial and bezel, especially if she has fashion-watch styles in mind

 

And if it doesn't exactly have to be a ladies' watch:

 

- Frederique Constant Classics Automatic; big for a lady at 38mm but if she's not too dainty, it's a really lovely dial.

post #29113 of 48312

Hi gents; 

A few months ago I came here thinking about buying a Max Bill chrono as my first watch.

This is what I ended up with - just picked him up today

 

.

 

Once again, big thanks to everyone in this thread for helping me make an informed choice. I couldn't be happier with this acquisition.

Also, my 2 cents on the MUT Moon vs Grande debate - I tried them both on in steel at the shop. Unlike the others, my feelings were the other way round. I thought that the the Grande's simplicity brought out all my favourite features of this style of watch. It hits just the right spots - the small seconds cuts the vast expanse of dial of the MUT 41; the smaller indicators at 12, 3, 6 and 9 gives it more gravitas and occasion over the 2014 MUTs; and without a central second and moonphase, everything is perfectly balanced and exemplifies the epitome of orthodox elegance. Of course, not saying that the Moon is imbalanced per se, but rather that the added features, as nice as they are, distract from, rather than add to, all the reasons I love this watch.

I do most definitely prefer the Moon's case and size though.

P.S. Having never owned a watch before, whenever I move my wrist such that the winder moves (I'm assuming this because I can't see the winder) I hear a little whirl sounding like ratchets if I hold it at shoulder height (in relation to my ear). I assume this is standard mechanical noise which the winder makes, and not something to be taken care of? It's not very loud at all, and I have good hearing.

post #29114 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezentius View Post
 

Hi gents; 

A few months ago I came here thinking about buying a Max Bill chrono as my first watch.

This is what I ended up with - just picked him up today

 

.

 

Once again, big thanks to everyone in this thread for helping me make an informed choice. I couldn't be happier with this acquisition.

Also, my 2 cents on the MUT Moon vs Grande debate - I tried them both on in steel at the shop. Unlike the others, my feelings were the other way round. I thought that the the Grande's simplicity brought out all my favourite features of this style of watch. It hits just the right spots - the small seconds cuts the vast expanse of dial of the MUT 41; the smaller indicators at 12, 3, 6 and 9 gives it more gravitas and occasion over the 2014 MUTs; and without a central second and moonphase, everything is perfectly balanced and exemplifies the epitome of orthodox elegance. Of course, not saying that the Moon is imbalanced per se, but rather that the added features, as nice as they are, distract from, rather than add to, all the reasons I love this watch.

I do most definitely prefer the Moon's case and size though.

P.S. Having never owned a watch before, whenever I move my wrist such that the winder moves (I'm assuming this because I can't see the winder) I hear a little whirl sounding like ratchets if I hold it at shoulder height (in relation to my ear). I assume this is standard mechanical noise which the winder makes, and not something to be taken care of? It's not very loud at all, and I have good hearing.

 

Congrats on the watch!  It is a beauty.  As for the sound, I do not recall hearing mine but I don't think I've ever paid that much attention.

post #29115 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post


...

Wow, some great suggestions there Mimo. I think the RW and B&M are both great ideas. I made sure to pass those ones along smile.gif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezentius View Post

Hi gents; 


A few months ago I came here thinking about buying a Max Bill chrono as my first watch.


This is what I ended up with - just picked him up today

.


Once again, big thanks to everyone in this thread for helping me make an informed choice. I couldn't be happier with this acquisition.

Also, my 2 cents on the MUT Moon vs Grande debate - I tried them both on in steel at the shop. Unlike the others, my feelings were the other way round. I thought that the the Grande's simplicity brought out all my favourite features of this style of watch. It hits just the right spots - the small seconds cuts the vast expanse of dial of the MUT 41; the smaller indicators at 12, 3, 6 and 9 gives it more gravitas and occasion over the 2014 MUTs; and without a central second and moonphase, everything is perfectly balanced and exemplifies the epitome of orthodox elegance. Of course, not saying that the Moon is imbalanced per se, but rather that the added features, as nice as they are, distract from, rather than add to, all the reasons I love this watch.

I do most definitely prefer the Moon's case and size though.

P.S. Having never owned a watch before, whenever I move my wrist such that the winder moves (I'm assuming this because I can't see the winder) I hear a little whirl sounding like ratchets if I hold it at shoulder height (in relation to my ear). I assume this is standard mechanical noise which the winder makes, and not something to be taken care of? It's not very loud at all, and I have good hearing.

Yowzers! That is awesome! First off--let your fears be allayed, that is just JLCs winding system. The Cal 899 (or whatever it is in your JLC) only winds unidirectionally, so you get that great ratchet sound.

And I think you made beautiful choice. I have to agree in particular with your description of the watch as "exemplifying the epitome of orthodox elegance." One of the things I long about the JLC Master series is that they are so difficult to dislike. They are objectively aesthetically pleasing. They tend not to alienate many, and the normal criticism is that they are a bit cold.

Wear it in the best of health! Looks great on your wrist.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)