or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1940  

post #29086 of 48312
photo of our wrists before Valentine's day dinner.

post #29087 of 48312
awesome.
post #29088 of 48312
Super awesome.
post #29089 of 48312
wurger - that's fantatsic - best wishes to you both.
post #29090 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post

hey guys,

any tips on buying a secondhand watch? is there anything in particular I should be looking out for? The watch will come with box and papers, and I will obviously inspect the case and bezel for dings, but is there anything else that may be indicative of wear that I may not have thought of/may not be immediately apparent? The warranty is also out of date. Is that going to be as big of an issue as I am imagining?

Thanks so much!

Also, maybe you guys can direct where I should be looking.

 

 You state the warranty is out of date. Then you asked, "Is that going to be as big of an issue as I am imagining?"  I'm not really sure what you mean by it being a big deal.  If you don't care that its not being covered by the Rolex warranty, then no its not a big deal.  If something was wrong with the watch and you were planning to bring it to a Rolex Service Center and have it repaired for free under its warranty...well that isn't going to happen.  As long as the watch is real and doesn't have any aftermarket parts, then if it needs a repair they charge you for whatever needs to be done.  If the watch is maybe 3-4 years old hopefully, any issues it may have had when new would already have been repaired a while ago.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

@oneeightyseven that JLC is awesome. been forever, how you been?

one piece if advice, pull out the crown and wind the watch and change the time on both directions. should feel completely smooth. if there are issues, you can often feel it when you wind the watch, change the time, or listen to the rotor (if its an auto).

+1

 

To the OP, I'd also say, if you aren't familiar with the watches, go see a bunch and do some research to familiarize yourself with them.  Are you buying from a store that deals in pre-owned watches or just a private sale?  If you have never bought a pre-owned watch, stick with a place that is trustworthy and has a great reputation.  If you buy from a reputable shop and something isn't right they will usually help you and stand behind their product.  With a private sale, some guys are upstanding...other guys maybe not so much.  A friend of mine recently bought a pre-owned watch from a store, it wasn't as described in terms of condition.  He didn't push them to take the watch back, but they did refund $900.  I probably would have returned the watch.  In the end it cost him $1,400 to have the watch serviced...so he was still out some additional money on the watch.

 

Anyway, wishing the OP lots of luck!

post #29091 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

photo of our wrists before Valentine's day dinner.

Great photo!  Both are excellent choices!

post #29092 of 48312
Lovely Wurger inlove.gif
post #29093 of 48312
did you forget a comma in there?
post #29094 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

@oneeightyseven that JLC is awesome. been forever, how you been?

one piece if advice, pull out the crown and wind the watch and change the time on both directions. should feel completely smooth. if there are issues, you can often feel it when you wind the watch, change the time, or listen to the rotor (if its an auto).

Stitch, my friend, how have you been?! I've finally made my way back to SF haha

A lot has changed, but overall I'm doing well.

Also, thank you for the tip! Excuse my ignorance, but changing time both directions does not hurt the watch? The second JLC is the local one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

 You state the warranty is out of date. Then you asked, "Is that going to be as big of an issue as I am imagining?"  I'm not really sure what you mean by it being a big deal.  If you don't care that its not being covered by the Rolex warranty, then no its not a big deal.  If something was wrong with the watch and you were planning to bring it to a Rolex Service Center and have it repaired for free under its warranty...well that isn't going to happen.  As long as the watch is real and doesn't have any aftermarket parts, then if it needs a repair they charge you for whatever needs to be done.  If the watch is maybe 3-4 years old hopefully, any issues it may have had when new would already have been repaired a while ago.

sorry for the confusion! What I meant by that was are there typical issues that happen around a certain age of the watch that I would have to be looking out for? (i.e a 4 year old JLC watch is susceptible to problem x and it will cost $y,yyyy) The logic behind this question comes from cars -- I know that S-classes with 80-100,000km have some issues with their ride height sensors and if someone were to purchase one I would be able to warn them of such. I apologize if this sounds absurd, but as you can probably tell I am not well versed in this area.

The watch that I have inquired most about is the third picture (the JLC master grande ultra thin). The owner says that no maintenance nor repair work has been done on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

+1

To the OP, I'd also say, if you aren't familiar with the watches, go see a bunch and do some research to familiarize yourself with them.  Are you buying from a store that deals in pre-owned watches or just a private sale?  If you have never bought a pre-owned watch, stick with a place that is trustworthy and has a great reputation.  If you buy from a reputable shop and something isn't right they will usually help you and stand behind their product.  With a private sale, some guys are upstanding...other guys maybe not so much.  A friend of mine recently bought a pre-owned watch from a store, it wasn't as described in terms of condition.  He didn't push them to take the watch back, but they did refund $900.  I probably would have returned the watch.  In the end it cost him $1,400 to have the watch serviced...so he was still out some additional money on the watch.

Anyway, wishing the OP lots of luck!

I would be buying from a private sale. Originally I was going to purchase through an authorized JLC retailer, but then I found a seller on SF located in Toronto for around half price. I feel bad that my family has had to pay for so many things for me already that I would rather have them pay $5,500-$6,500 than $9,500-$10,000 (unless by some chance I choose the gold rolex, but c'mon that's an all gold rolex!). The seller has the original box and papers. I will also be using Stitch's litmus test to see how smooth the movement is when I wind forwards and backwards.

Another thing that has just come up today as I was talking about it with my sister is that she knows a jeweller who deals in secondhand watches and jewellery. I may also investigate this route further in the coming weeks if the private sales are too risky.

Thank you for your wishes! I hope this all turns out well! smile.gif
post #29095 of 48312

187, if I might offer a suggestion: it seems to me that the initiative in all this lies with people who want to sell you something specific.  It might be better to think about what you want, and then look for it.  Everyone's susceptible to this dynamic - to use your preferred analogue of used cars, who hasn't at least considered buying "car X" because a friend is selling one?  Yet the logical thing to do is to forget about your friend's car, think about whether you want a car at all, and if so, which one, and then look for the best deal on it.  If your friend's car happens to fall within the parameters of what you, independently, considered yourself to want, then you know what you need to compare it to.  I've bought a car off a friend just "because" - sometimes it's easier.  But it's not always smart.

 

I'm thinking this because the watches you listed are pretty different.  I think you're better off putting them all aside, thinking deeply on what sized gap you're looking to fill, then seeking it out - maybe even setting some specifications out here and then asking for suggestions.  And when you settle on one, Stitchy will find it and sell it to you. :)

post #29096 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

photo of our wrists before Valentine's day dinner.


hey! sorry to bother, but what is the name of that JLC?

Before I made my appointment at Royal de Versailles I had something like that in mind. I like the simplicity of it, but the only one they had that was similar was the Master Calendar (it had numbers and a lot more going on).

I found a picture of another model that I liked but I am unable to find it on the JLC site also.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
oshvusk.jpg
post #29097 of 48312

Master Ultra-Thin Moon

 

Master Calendar

post #29098 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

187, if I might offer a suggestion: it seems to me that the initiative in all this lies with people who want to sell you something specific.  It might be better to think about what you want, and then look for it.  Everyone's susceptible to this dynamic - to use your preferred analogue of used cars, who hasn't at least considered buying "car X" because a friend is selling one?  Yet the logical thing to do is to forget about your friend's car, think about whether you want a car at all, and if so, which one, and then look for the best deal on it.  If your friend's car happens to fall within the parameters of what you, independently, considered yourself to want, then you know what you need to compare it to.  I've bought a car off a friend just "because" - sometimes it's easier.  But it's not always smart.

I'm thinking this because the watches you listed are pretty different.  I think you're better off putting them all aside, thinking deeply on what sized gap you're looking to fill, then seeking it out - maybe even setting some specifications out here and then asking for suggestions.  And when you settle on one, Stitchy will find it and sell it to you. smile.gif

I think you are right and I may be just jumping the gun because I saw a deal at a good price. I may be settling a bit because it isn't the exact model I have always wanted. In terms of watches though, I'm fairly certain I want a JLC (something on the simpler side). I guess the Master Grande Ultra Thin fit those parameters which is why I got excited about it, but it wasn't the ideal fit.

Something along the lines of what I have always envisioned myself getting was what wurger posted, but I was never able to find it (both online or in person).

I also think the gold rolex was thrown in there because I was seduced by my sister's bf's watch and it looked so great. Realistically, I don't know if it would suit my lifestyle simply because it is somewhat flashy and may send the wrong message.
post #29099 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post



Also, thank you for the tip! Excuse my ignorance, but changing time both directions does not hurt the watch? The second JLC is the local one.
sorry for the confusion! What I meant by that was are there typical issues that happen around a certain age of the watch that I would have to be looking out for? (i.e a 4 year old JLC watch is susceptible to problem x and it will cost $y,yyyy) The logic behind this question comes from cars -- I know that S-classes with 80-100,000km have some issues with their ride height sensors and if someone were to purchase one I would be able to warn them of such. I apologize if this sounds absurd, but as you can probably tell I am not well versed in this area.

The watch that I have inquired most about is the third picture (the JLC master grande ultra thin). The owner says that no maintenance nor repair work has been done on it.
I would be buying from a private sale. Originally I was going to purchase through an authorized JLC retailer, but then I found a seller on SF located in Toronto for around half price. I feel bad that my family has had to pay for so many things for me already that I would rather have them pay $5,500-$6,500 than $9,500-$10,000 (unless by some chance I choose the gold rolex, but c'mon that's an all gold rolex!). The seller has the original box and papers. I will also be using Stitch's litmus test to see how smooth the movement is when I wind forwards and backwards.

Another thing that has just come up today as I was talking about it with my sister is that she knows a jeweller who deals in secondhand watches and jewellery. I may also investigate this route further in the coming weeks if the private sales are too risky.

Thank you for your wishes! I hope this all turns out well! smile.gif

I'm quite familiar with cars and work that must be done with a certain amount of mileage or age.  With watches there isn't specifically something that gets done the way you would replace X on a car at 80,000 KM.  However, after a certain number of years, depending on the watch and if its running well, some people say it should be serviced every 3-5 years others say 5-7 years. Others disagree and say wait until it stops working or isn't telling time properly. At that point the watch is opened, movement disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and lubricated, and some people have the cases/bracelets polished...others prefer not to.

 

Maybe I missed it in your writing, but is this some sort of present?  You say you feel badly about your family paying for this.  If this gift is too pricey, or your don't feel good about them buying it, perhaps you should wait and buy one on your own at a later date?  Yes, pre-owned from a private person there is a savings over new from an AD or a gray market dealer.  However, you aren't getting a new watch, condition could be outstanding, but maybe not.  It has no warranty if it stops running for some reason. You have little recourse if there is a problem and its a private sale of a used watch.  There is nothing wrong with buying pre-owned from a private party, but there are risks involved so you need to be certain you know the seller has a great reputation and is selling you the real product for a fair price...(particularly, there are lots of fake Rolex watches out there some of the more accurate fakes even use some real Rolex parts from old watches).  Be careful and if in doubt, or you don't really know what to look for in terms of authenticity stick with a reputable store be it new or pre-owned.  Saving money is one thing, but the seller is very important.  If you spend $5,000 and end up with a fake or a "Franken-watch" cobbled from some used parts...then you really haven't saved anything.  

post #29100 of 48312

The MUT Moon is much loved in this thread.  I tried one on a while back and can only say that the love seems eminently justified.  I didn't like the Grand Ultra Thin as much as I'd expected: love the small seconds, simple markers, conceptually it's perfect.  And yet in person it just didn't have a lot of personality to me.  The MUT moon, though, is all elegance.  Pretty enough to eat.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)