Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 12:10 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on 9/28/16 at 4:19am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1920post #28786 of 483122/4/14 at 7:37pmpost #28787 of 483122/4/14 at 9:10pmI have a BC3 day date (believe it's this model: http://www.oris.ch/en/watches/oris-bc3-day-date/01-635-7500-4164-07-8-20-50), and an XXL Complication (can't find on the Oris site, but it's this one: http://i10.servimg.com/u/f10/16/96/11/52/oris10.jpg). Can't say either get much wrist time now that I've got a Speedy Pro, but neither have ever given me any trouble. And the BC3 keeps better time than any other auto/manual wind watch I've owned - about +1 second per day, IIRC.post #28788 of 483122/4/14 at 9:14pmpost #28789 of 483122/5/14 at 1:21ampost #28790 of 483122/5/14 at 4:52amSo, cushion shaped watches with wire lugs. Seems these were less rare in the 20's and 30's, like this Omega:
Does anyone currently produce something similar, besides Panerai's Radiomir models? Ideally not as vintage looking at that Omega, but smaller than the Radiomirs.
(Interestingly, when searching for this I learned that the cushion shaped first Panerais from 1936 weren't an original make up, but were using existing Rolex case designs.)post #28791 of 483122/5/14 at 4:58ampost #28792 of 483122/5/14 at 5:18ampost #28793 of 483122/5/14 at 6:28am
Been away from TWAT for a bit but I was lurking in the shadows.
Over the wedding weekend I got some hands on time with my father-in-law's Rolex 2-tone Submariner which he bought in the 90s. Instead of the more modern ceramic bezel it has the old metal insert that has had some abuse. To add to the abuse some of the 18kt gold links have been dented, the bezel does not turn, and it is scratched to high heaven other than the sapphire crystal.
In its 20-year life it has not been serviced but I mentioned he should probably have it done since he mentioned it only keeps power for 24 hours after wear. He lives a couple blocks away from the Dallas headquarters so I joked about the watch never being far from home if service was done there.
It is interesting to see how people treat their watches given the cost of these things initially. In his case it was beat up being a father and travelling as his profession is not one conducive to watch abuse. Others treat their watches like treasures that are rarely worn and just sit in a safe. He also has an example of this in his YG Rolex Day-Date President which if I remember correctly has which has the proper fluted bezel and sticks with black face.
And my thought for the day, I am wearing my Hamilton Khaki today and the leather strap is worn in and just wraps my wrist to perfection. My GMT does not sit as comfortably as this watch. Do deployment/fold over clasps on leather feel as good as a buckle?post #28794 of 483122/5/14 at 7:30amQuote:Originally Posted by Cleav
My Oris, was the first auto I got. The Rose Gold really did it for me. I wear it on occasion where my others just won't do (High Secure Prisons and MH Wards) and it looks works for me in that I feel I got a better watch on but it don't scream at yer!.
Sorry for the crappy pic
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Looks great!post #28795 of 483122/5/14 at 7:51ampost #28796 of 483122/5/14 at 8:51ampost #28797 of 483122/5/14 at 9:27ampost #28798 of 483122/5/14 at 10:02ampost #28799 of 483122/5/14 at 10:05ampost #28800 of 483122/5/14 at 10:06am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 1 minute ago
- › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Patina on suede?! 2 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 7 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 10 minutes ago
- › Alligator / Crocodile Shoes 11 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 11 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 13 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 17 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...